In high lands - Two years later

atty

Has excellent taste.
Jeez, they're definitely not taking their accountability seriously. I think they need to find a better suited distributor that's not doing this as their side hustle. Sorry to hear dude.

If I hadn't bought my frame yet I think your experience would have prompted me to buy the something else. I'd ask for remuneration, or at least get them to through in a coil shock for free.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
My limited experience looking into a highlander was an immediate (overnight) response from Ben on a couple of questions.
Agree that I hope the local guy gets better or Deviate move on.

With any luck by Easter long weekend you've got a sweet new rig built up and all this is just a story.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Jeez, they're definitely not taking their accountability seriously. I think they need to find a better suited distributor that's not doing this as their side hustle. Sorry to hear dude.

If I hadn't bought my frame yet I think your experience would have prompted me to buy the something else. I'd ask for remuneration, or at least get them to through in a coil shock for free.
Yep, by now I'd be expecting some kind of financial compensation. It's not like it's COVID freight delays now, it's in the country - apparently for days now. Why hasn't it been put on an overnight/same day freight service to you? And why can't they get an answer/E.T.A from the local distributor? I understand your patience when the freight issues from overseas happened, but ever since this batch arrived at the local distro they should've been scrambling to pull your frame from the batch and get it to you A.S.A.P. I would be flat-out pissed off at the laziness from Deviate by now. I get bike companies are going to be busy currently, but you've paid up already - this isn't a potential sale - so where's the product right now and what are they doing to get it to you A.S.A.P?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Ok just got an email back, apologies were sent and he has the distro on to it quick smart. Tracking number to follow.

Sent him a picture of those Instagram frames and said -

Tell him to stop taking bloody pictures for Instagram and get that frame shipped :)
Added smiley at the end to sound not serious... serious.

It is what it is, yes really fucking annoying but hopefully worth the wait.

atty

Has excellent taste.
I got to take the coil for a spin. so much better than the air in ever way... I will say there's a lot more pedal bob than the air shock. Fortunately there is a lock out.

Thing I noticed the most was how much more stable the bike was when jumping. No matter how much I tried adjusting high and low speed rebound on the air shock, I couldn't find the balance between pop and composure.

Here's evidence that I'm doing 80 foot road gaps.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
So been riding the bike for a bit over a year now and can still say I dig it. Everything is working well and no issues have come up... so far.

Photos are cool but videos are even better, Enjoy.

Haha, the ending was a crack-up.

Critique: Whoever's operating the camera is a bit jerky and it made it (for me) a bit of a hard watch as the mid-long focal lengths used really exaggerate it. Maybe get the feet a bit wider/angle out the back foot for a bit of extra stability to smooth out those panning shots. In terms of editing though - you've done a really good job of capturing that gloominess of pine forest without making the video look gloomy, and really enjoyed the overall cut sequence. Not meaning to be a d***, just an observation. At some stage I plan to do some vids like this myself, and it's definitely not as easy as it looks!

atty

Has excellent taste.
Critique: Whoever's operating the camera is a bit jerky and it made it (for me) a bit of a hard watch as the mid-long focal lengths used really exaggerate it. Maybe get the feet a bit wider/angle out the back foot for a bit of extra stability to smooth out those panning shots.
Always respect critiques. Yeah the hand shaking is deff there, a gimble might need to be my next purchase as the person filming has never held a camera before haha!

atty

Has excellent taste.
So, it's been two years of riding the highlander.

Been a real joy riding this, some quirks, like no drainage hole and cable routing rubber jackets don't stay in the frame. But other than it has been unreal.

I've pushed the bike to be more enduro focused, with 170mm up front and a progressive coil on the rear. I'm running 28% sag up-front which is comparable to the stand over height of a 160mm fork with less sag.

The progressive coil has really changed how the rear feels. The coil is 500-610ibs progressive, kind of feels like you're running more HSC but without the harshness in the early stage of the travel that excess HSC can do.

The weight is currently 15.5kg, not light by any means, but still lighter than a medium Norco Sight! Considering getting a lighter cassette to help reduce rear wheel sprung mass.

BBC and TSP-06042.jpg
BBC and TSP-06043.jpg
BBC and TSP-06048.jpg
BBC and TSP-06051.jpg
BBC and TSP-06045.jpg

Last edited:

ozzybmx

Yeah, I think the smaller frames look better, the steerer tube height is about 20mm different on both designs.
Dunno about that, the larger Highlander reminds me of the larger Transitions, has that nice hoopy effect at the headtube.

Awesome looking bike !

ozzybmx

It does look a heck lot smaller! Looks lighter too!

PS: What rims are they?
Nextie Carbon, this is the third set I have used the same stealth N design on, my Spur has the same design with lighter rims and DT240's.