Indestructible Aluminium Rim Set ?

curmi

Likes Bikes
I ride enduro/Downhill very rocky trails jumps etc etc

I currently have hope fortus 29er rims pro4 hubs with cushcore inserts and run 20ish psi in them. I have destroyed x2 hope fortus rims and need my 3rd now.

I am always dinting my rims, tearing my rear $120maxxis dessector tyre aswell but that’s fine.

my main question is what is a bullet proof rim? ( I know there no such thing but what’s a really strong rim?)

No price range ….
And Don’t want carbon rims destroyed the stock rims

thinking
dt Swiss 560
Industry nine

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Even with CushCores, 20psi on the rear sounds low...

Considered more tyre pressure or Double-Downs? Dissectors having something of a reputation for being puncture-prone don't they? (I've not run them myself...).

curmi

Likes Bikes
Even with CushCores, 20psi on the rear sounds low...

Considered more tyre pressure or Double-Downs? Dissectors having something of a reputation for being puncture-prone don't they? (I've not run them myself...).
I always put 23 psi as I always loose 1 or 2 during the ride anything more my rear wheel slips all over then place . For me it’s perfect unless I change my tyre and see after that.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you're riding fast & hard on rocky trails & are constantly trashing rims and tyres, you need to run more pressure. Insert or not - 20-22PSI is low for that type of riding. Re rims, yep FR 541 or 560.

I weigh 75kg, run Rimpact inserts F/R + DD or DH casing tyres, and still sometimes manage to dent rims & kill tyres at 25psi rear.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
I always put 23 psi as I always loose 1 or 2 during the ride anything more my rear wheel slips all over then place . For me it’s perfect unless I change my tyre and see after that.
Try a grippier tyre and run more pressure.
I run DHF on the rear and try not to go below 28psi.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Put some pressure in your tyres. 20ish is way too low for fast riding anywhere near rocks. You need around 30psi. I have a spare Hope Fortus rim if you wanted to go again and test the theory.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
When increasing tyre pressure, you will need to revisit suspension setup.

Increased tire pressure will require more rebound dampening (slower).

Running tyre pressure this low might be compensating for less then optimal suspension setup.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Aren't you the guy who was running like 12psi without knowing? ;)
If your tyre-pressure checking technique involves bumping the valve several times while attempting to connect the gauge, then letting out a long burst of air and still only getting the gauge half-on on the third attempt - sure.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Sometimes it can be the combination of the tyre, rim and low tyre pressure, the tyre doesn't have any knobs positioned on it to protect the rim where it folds down during a pinch from the rocks. Some trails also have like axe head rocks in the same spot, like a rockdrop and every time you land on them, it cuts the tyre up or makes a small hole and you lose more air.

curmi

Likes Bikes
Put some pressure in your tyres. 20ish is way too low for fast riding anywhere near rocks. You need around 30psi. I have a spare Hope Fortus rim if you wanted to go again and test the theory.
Alright you’ll try higher

When increasing tyre pressure, you will need to revisit suspension setup.

Increased tire pressure will require more rebound dampening (slower).

Running tyre pressure this low might be compensating for less then optimal suspension setup.
Yeah sweet can work it out

That would be awesome mine is ok atm it’s got a wobble atm bike mechanic said he can’t fix it so will do for now where are you located and how much please can inbox me if ya want

Ackland

chats d'élevage
As a punter you may just need to compromise on your pressure, tyre or line choices for every day riding.

IIRC from some random internet article, pro DH riders (the article I think I recall was related to Sam Hill's mechanic) blow up a rear rim almost every run during race weekends and will change wheelsets completely each practice run

Flow-Rider

Burner
As a punter you may just need to compromise on your pressure, tyre or line choices for every day riding.

IIRC from some random internet article, pro DH riders (the article I think I recall was related to Sam Hill's mechanic) blow up a rear rim almost every run during race weekends and will change wheelsets completely each practice run
Down hill racing is a whole different ball game, people often think they use the best rims possible, but they use the most economical rim, they just cut the spokes and throw the rims away after they're done. They also run different spoke tensions to take the roughness out of the trail depending on where they race. They don't build rims to last years, they built them to last races.