Index/gear tunehelp.. can some one teach me?? Perth WA

discofrank

Likes Dirt
Ok so since going to a shop for a basic service and i only wanted a gear tun on the front 2 x setup

the rear is now screwy, I have already been back once and yes a bit better but not what is was
as i have never had shifting issues until the shop touched it
constantly getting issues where the chain will either miss shift / wont shift / or shift by itself
also last night the shifter would not engaged at all ( when you clicked the shifter up or down it was basically loose and not shifting at all!!!
i was lucky enough to get the shifter to work again by shifting up and down!

Bike is a giant trance 2
cannot remember the shiter specs , i know the rear mech/derailer is a deore xt clutched
So long story short

is anyone in in perth ( hills ) willing to show me how to fix this??
this noob will appreciate it

NeoNasty

Likes Dirt
Yeah Youtube 'rear deraileur adjustment'. Thats how I learnt.

It took me an hour the first time, but since then I've gotten much faster, and now its a 5 minute process (usually).

Good luck.

-Shaun

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Will be cable tension issue. Very simply, shift all the down to smallest rear gear. Wind all tension off barrel adjuster on shifter (clockwise), then wind 1 turn of tension (anti clockwise). Undo cable retaining bolt at derailler and give cable a good jiggle to make sure there is nothing stopping it from moving properly. Then pull it finger tight and redo retaining bolt. Now try and shift up cassette. If it is slow shifting wind on some more tension until it will shift cleanly. Once it shifts ok go all the way up cassette and then back down again. If it struggles to come down you have too much tension and need to wind some off. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
In addition to the above post, if no matter what you do you can only get it to work smoothly one way, then the cable and possibly the outer is stuffed & causing too much drag, so needs replacing.