Indian Pacific Wheel Race

Mica

Likes Dirt
Some quality dot watching going on at the moment for bikepacking fans and those looking for a distraction with all the rain around at the moment.

Perth to Sydney dodging road trains all the way. 600+km covered on day one. Sick bastards!!!

Plenty of info and social media to trawl through

https://indianpacificwheelrace.maprogress.com/?embed=yes

https://www.facebook.com/IndianPacificWheelRace/

I particularly enjoy the videos where they watch a light approach for 5 minutes then try to interview the autistic guys who take this stuff on who are in even more weird isolated headspace after being out there on their own. Makes for some great awkward viewing as the organisers try to create content

I reckon this picture is a good summary of the western half of the race

Last edited:

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I've been glued to the dot watching for the last 2 days and been able to do the night shift relatively easily from the UK where I'm at at the moment.

Mike looks like he's settled in for a rest, but Kristof climbed up into the Snowies overnight. I did the reverse of the rest last year and it took me 7 days to get from Sydney to Albury (albeit on dirt) but they're going to do it in 2 days max! Incredible, and slightly insane.

nakedape

Likes Dirt
Yup! Nutters all! Particularly Juju who went back and started again after having an allergic reaction to her pain killers.

Sent from two tin cans joined by string

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Yup! Nutters all! Particularly Juju who went back and started again after having an allergic reaction to her pain killers.

Julianna is a monster. Constant punctures on her second crossing of the Nullarbor, but still smashing out a phenomenal time.

The 3 leaders are absolutely flying, must be running on an average of 3 minutes sleep every 24 hours. The Belgian nutter did the back of falls at midnight, that climb would make my arse pucker in the daylight, in perfect conditions. Be interesting when the later riders come through, falls is expecting snow.

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
It's looking like a pretty shitty run into the Opera House on Friday night with the weather closing in.

The front of the race is exciting but the back of the field is just as impressive, Juju getting crook then going back to the start, 74 year old Paul who had hardly been on a bike a few years ago. Inspirational stuff.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
This is a fucking tragedy if the rumors turn out to be true, in fact it's terrible news anyway.

RIP

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Appears to have been confirmed by race organisers, that it was Mike.

They've pulled the pin on the race, effective immediately.

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt

Yet1

Likes Dirt
So tragic, I have been following the race almost obsessively since the start and following the social media of a lot of the riders, including Mike. Almost feels like losing a mate, as I feel that I know him.

notime

Likes Dirt
So devastating.

Sadly it was not the only vehicle incident during the race.

Also feel for the organisers, it's a tough enough gig without this tragedy.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Why would they cancel it? Everyone else is still out there, doing ridiculous things to their bodies, they deserve to have the chance to complete it.

Honestly, the chances of all these competitors riding 4000km across Straya without one being hit is a bit bloody optimistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nakedape

Likes Dirt
Such an awesome event - such a shitty end. Respect to all particularly the orgs - Really tough call to have to make.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Why would they cancel it? Everyone else is still out there, doing ridiculous things to their bodies, they deserve to have the chance to complete it.

Honestly, the chances of all these competitors riding 4000km across Straya without one being hit is a bit bloody optimistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Out of respect?

At least one of the guys pulled out before they officially stopped

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What a tragedy. No right decision for the organisers, but given the small field and intimacy I get why they called it off. Put yourselves in their predicament: happily reporting on the two leaders progress this morning, then a blink of an eye later working with authorities on victim id, the trauma of family notification and giving the terrible message to all other participants, let alone contemplating the numbing possibilty, however unlikely, of it happening again before the end of the race if it goes on. Consider that when judging their decision. Some riders will likely ride on, some wont.

As for it being an 'incident free' race, perhaps you missed the social media from riders about their near misses with vehicles buzzing them and the nightmares of being run over? History paints a pretty clear picture that near misses are the foundation for injury and fatality.

While accidents happen and time will tell about this, I still find it hard to accept that injury and death are simply a 'likely risk' we take riding on Australian roads. Change is needed.

Last edited: