Injuries. What's your story?

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Both collarbones
Three ribs
Left foot, on three different occasions
Tore right knee patella off (had to walk six miles out with this one)
Hand Fracture - Metacarpal
Right hand little finger
Fractured Skull

Endless abrasions and blood

Collarbones, ribs, foot and knee are all motorcycle related, while the hand, finger and skull are mountain bike

Right hand collarbone hurt the most… massively knackered shoulder... 200kph get off on a 750 Superbike at Winton, in the wet, on slicks

The fractured skull, reminded me that I’m nearly six decades old and I should back off and not jump off stuff like I’m a youngie

I’m sure there is more to come... because I LOVE riding

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
followup osteo appointment. bit rough being told by a hot chick the grip in my dominant hand isn't great (all those teenage years training for nothing), and weaker then left hand.

weak grip leading to me compensating with arms/shoulder, lat muscle is overworked and getting damaged on the bike

stirk, pink doodle, I await the hand grip jokes. just make em good ones
Have you heard of mastercise? It is this new fun way to do a total body work out. It is so much more than Tax Bo could ever be...My video series includes a specific episode for wanking for strength, cardio, weight loss, and growth. Simply lay out a plastic mat, load up the relevant video and spend the next hour working through the carefully choreographed exercises. The best bit? I'll be there with you the whole time doing them. You can even pause and slow-mo me if you are having trouble following the technique.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Have you heard of mastercise? It is this new fun way to do a total body work out. It is so much more than Tax Bo could ever be...My video series includes a specific episode for wanking for strength, cardio, weight loss, and growth. Simply lay out a plastic mat, load up the relevant video and spend the next hour working through the carefully choreographed exercises. The best bit? I'll be there with you the whole time doing them. You can even pause and slow-mo me if you are having trouble following the technique.
Up until now I've been using prancercise, I will test and evaluate mastercise

http://youtu.be/o-50GjySwew

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Both collarbones
Three ribs
Left foot, on three different occasions
Tore right knee patella off (had to walk six miles out with this one)
Hand Fracture - Metacarpal
Right hand little finger
Fractured Skull

Endless abrasions and blood

Collarbones, ribs, foot and knee are all motorcycle related, while the hand, finger and skull are mountain bike

Right hand collarbone hurt the most… massively knackered shoulder... 200kph get off on a 750 Superbike at Winton, in the wet, on slicks

The fractured skull, reminded me that I’m nearly six decades old and I should back off and not jump off stuff like I’m a youngie

I’m sure there is more to come... because I LOVE riding
mick doohan? Sheesh, do you pop two OxyContin in your morning coffee?

abennyy

Likes Bikes
On sunday i managed to go over the bars in a rock garden and slam my hip on a rock, definitely wasn't going to be able to keep riding, so my mate took both bikes down while i had a go at walking up the track to the shuttle road. About 50m in I gave up after feeling the bone in my hip do something weird and the pain became too much.

Another guy finally came down the trail and gave me a hand supporting me up the trail to the top. While waiting at the top they had a go at loading me into the troopy but the pain was way too much, almost passed out so they put me back down and got an ambo sent out.

Couple of hours later I had xray results showing a broken pelvis. So now i've got 6 weeks on crutches and also had to cancel a planned shoulder reconstruction on tuesday.

Pretty bummed out about the whole thing, going to be a lot of time off work/riding by the time i get shoulder operation sorted also. Any suggestions on things to keep myself entertained? Sitting around watching tv shows all day isn't doing much for me ha.
Good luck with the recovery, I did my pelvis August last 4 year I spent 7 weeks in a wheelchair. Pelvis all healed now.
Now to get my wrist sorted (me vs car 10 weeks ago).

I ended up reading alot, spending time with mates, listening to podcasts.

PS4

Likes Bikes
did yours feel good at the start and gradually crap out?
Mine has only ever got better once all surgery etc was done with. As MWI has stated, strength seems to be the key. In my case, the stronger the muscles, the better the knee seems to be supported which seems to place less stress on the joint. I found squats very helpful and of course riding is great. I had my usual amount of discomfort this morning, went for a 90 minute ride around the streets (Sydney trails washed out) and this afternoon I feel no pain/discomfort.

My range of movement in the affected knee is a little less than the other leg too.

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good luck with the recovery, I did my pelvis August last 4 year I spent 7 weeks in a wheelchair. Pelvis all healed now.
Now to get my wrist sorted (me vs car 10 weeks ago).

I ended up reading alot, spending time with mates, listening to podcasts.
Did you have to do much physio to get the muscles working again?
When i'm seated on the edge of my bed with my knee at 90 degrees, i can't lift my foot vertically off the floor. Starting to stress i've done some muscle damage, off to the doc today which will hopefully answer my questions!

abennyy

Likes Bikes
Did you have to do much physio to get the muscles working again?
When i'm seated on the edge of my bed with my knee at 90 degrees, i can't lift my foot vertically off the floor. Starting to stress i've done some muscle damage, off to the doc today which will hopefully answer my questions!
Had a bit of physio, only 3 sessions to ensure everything was working properly again.

Had to use crutches for a few weeks once out of wheelchair as no strength due to muscle depletion.

I couldn't lift my left leg for about 4 weeks had to manually lift it by hand.

Is taking me much longer to recover full use of said wrist much to my frustration.

Fingers crossed you don't have any soft tissue stuff going on.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Fark I hope you live in a warm climate !!
Yeah, nice and warm in the Melbourne hills.

mick doohan? Sheesh, do you pop two OxyContin in your morning coffee?
Weirdly, at 58 y/o, and considering the physical grief over the years... I don't feel too bad. I do need to ride though, because if I don't, my left hip seizes up. I’m sure I’ll pay later, but while I can, I will. I do self-administer Carlton Draught and Shiraz as an evening antidote.

When I was in hospital with the fractured skull, I was in the old persons ward, and I was the only one in that wing that didn't have diabetes... the angst they were going through was too much to bear, so I bailed after only one night. They said six weeks till I could ride again, and four weeks later I was on the bike doing fire-trails.

I'm two wheel mad... moto - dirt road track, mountain bike, bmx, ripstik... and for all of them, the ground comes up when you get it wrong. Oh well. If I could only do one discipline, I would choose AM mountain bike. Serene, quiet, bush, wildlife, control, balance, cornering, technical, adrenaline, endorphins… it’s got it all.

OK, I do ache a bit…

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had a bit of physio, only 3 sessions to ensure everything was working properly again.

Had to use crutches for a few weeks once out of wheelchair as no strength due to muscle depletion.

I couldn't lift my left leg for about 4 weeks had to manually lift it by hand.

Is taking me much longer to recover full use of said wrist much to my frustration.

Fingers crossed you don't have any soft tissue stuff going on.
Cool, thanks for the info as grim as it may be!

Muscles are slowly beginning to work again. The doctor explained the main reason is because the part that is broken has muscles attaching to it, and until the bone heals, those muscles aren't going to work.

Been stripping my bike today, bloody slow and tedious process when you're broken ha.

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had a slight mishap 7 years ago. Fractured and dislocated olecranon (funny bone basically) and torn rotator cuff ligament

Radiologist at Emergency said "I hope you have private medical insurance". Nice chap

Public system did a really good job at the surgery and putting the hardware in, but the post op stuff sucked. With their program I was having trouble rebuilding the tricep muscle afterwards, and they were saying I had wrecked nerves/something or rather and the messages weren't getting to the muscle to rebuild. Anyway decided to go on my own diet and program, 20kg of mostly muscle later (not all tricep) I'd say they were probably incorrect.

Worked pretty hard at movement and also my own regime, and got 100% movement back which I'm told is pretty unusual. That arm (right) is now actually stronger than the left despite the injury and me being left handed. Get a bit of aching now and then but can't complain.

Moral of the story is be diligent with your exercises and get lots of gory photos. Had a nice hematoma going on where my elbow used to be after the stack. Unfortunately no pics, you can kinda see it in the x-ray though

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I'd just like to give a big fuck off to my luck...

Rebroke 2 ribs on the weekend (right side again, makes sneaky out a quick one in the dunnys at work an unpleasant proposition due to pain), spent the day at hospital again, after my last visit the triage nurse and dr's didn't stuff around and got all sorts of stuff tested. Off to see my thoracic surgeon next week - looking forward to seeing the expression on his face, surgery to plate the ribs is looking pretty likely as now they have been rebroken twice over the last 4 months.

Got a prescription for oxycontin, don't know what other people think of it, I feel no pain when on it, but I am completely smashed as well, won't be taking any more of that shit, too powerful.

Oh well, I get to wait another 4-6 weeks until i ride again. maybe xt 11 spd will be released by then.

avanti04

Likes Dirt
Had a slight mishap 7 years ago. Fractured and dislocated olecranon (funny bone basically) and torn rotator cuff ligament

Radiologist at Emergency said "I hope you have private medical insurance". Nice chap

Public system did a really good job at the surgery and putting the hardware in, but the post op stuff sucked. With their program I was having trouble rebuilding the tricep muscle afterwards, and they were saying I had wrecked nerves/something or rather and the messages weren't getting to the muscle to rebuild. Anyway decided to go on my own diet and program, 20kg of mostly muscle later (not all tricep) I'd say they were probably incorrect.

Worked pretty hard at movement and also my own regime, and got 100% movement back which I'm told is pretty unusual. That arm (right) is now actually stronger than the left despite the injury and me being left handed. Get a bit of aching now and then but can't complain.

Moral of the story is be diligent with your exercises and get lots of gory photos. Had a nice hematoma going on where my elbow used to be after the stack. Unfortunately no pics, you can kinda see it in the x-ray though
I've just had surgery for the exact same break. I had a 1.5cm gap in my olecranon and a fair bit of shattering so got it wired back together last week. It's nice to hear a good story about your recovery everyone else is saying it is never going to be anywhere as good as it was. Did you get yours wired or plated?

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd just like to give a big fuck off to my luck...

Rebroke 2 ribs on the weekend (right side again, makes sneaky out a quick one in the dunnys at work an unpleasant proposition due to pain), spent the day at hospital again, after my last visit the triage nurse and dr's didn't stuff around and got all sorts of stuff tested. Off to see my thoracic surgeon next week - looking forward to seeing the expression on his face, surgery to plate the ribs is looking pretty likely as now they have been rebroken twice over the last 4 months.

Got a prescription for oxycontin, don't know what other people think of it, I feel no pain when on it, but I am completely smashed as well, won't be taking any more of that shit, too powerful.

Oh well, I get to wait another 4-6 weeks until i ride again. maybe xt 11 spd will be released by then.
Seriously, fuck oxy. Its just too much and I don't care what anyone else says, that shit is addictive. Try something else for the pain.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Seriously, fuck oxy. Its just too much and I don't care what anyone else says, that shit is addictive. Try something else for the pain.
i;m with you there brother.... Docs offered it to me a couple of weeks ago after a shoulder recon, but after the last episode of Oxy, i wasnt keen to go there again.
When I was near the end of the blister pack, it felt like hell had come to meet me face on.....

Cold turkey and a couple of days of wanting to kill someone are not something I want to relive!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I've just had surgery for the exact same break. I had a 1.5cm gap in my olecranon and a fair bit of shattering so got it wired back together last week. It's nice to hear a good story about your recovery everyone else is saying it is never going to be anywhere as good as it was. Did you get yours wired or plated?
Same here, maybe 12 years ago? Wired together, not been opened up since.

95% movement & hardly any long term issues (sometimes some mild aches).

Rehab wasn't too difficult, but I'd probably be at 100% movement had I put on more effort.