Injuries. What's your story?

slowmick

38-39"
my osteopath is amazed I have the same range of motion in my damaged shoulder as my good one 5 days later.
Does this say good things about the bad or bad things about the good?

When I had my ultrasound - the lady asked - are you sure this is the first time you've dislocated this shoulder? It's a mess in there..
I guess when you fall off a lot it's hard to know what is serious.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
So I'm now 9 months after my spinal, rib, clavicle fractures.

6 weeks in a BOB brace and sling.
3 months off work.
7 months of back pain.

I always thought spinal fractures would take 6 weeks to heal (one unit of orthopaedic time), turns out I was wrong. They take a shit load longer. I pretty much stopped all pain relief before the brace came off, except for occasional paracetamol at the end of a long day. I got to the point that I just accepted it was going to ache, and thought this would be a long term thing. Things were gradually improving, but plateaued from the 3 month to 6 month mark, but things have slowly improved since then.

I'm pretty much pain free now, except after a long day on my feet, or strangely when the weather is cold.

I was allowed back on the bike at 4 months, but it was mostly on the road. It wasn't until about 6 months that I hit the dirt again. I'm back riding XC style stuff, but I always liked giving it the beans on the downhills. I had my first crash since the accident on my last ride in a rock garden on "Trav's Diamond" at You Yangs. Clean over the bars after my front wheel got hung up. Was a bit shaken afterwards, but it is almost a relief to have had a decent sized crash and walked away with just cuts and grazes.

Anyways, heal well fellow farkers. Take you time with recovery, it'll be frustratingly slow but you'll get back riding in the end. As my wife says, "you can't fix stupid, but you can buy him a helmet".

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I am NOT showing my partner that clip K3n!f, she just heard it playing and instantly sang “139 ways to brake your collar bone”

Good luck healing. That’s a shopping list of injuries. Ouch. Did you at least get some fentanyl somewhere in there?

I’m going for a gentle road ride this weekend on the MTB.

Coopz

Likes Dirt
Well after 20 years of riding mountain bikes I had my first stack.. Slight misjudgement on approach to a corner, front wheel clipped the soft verge and gripped, threw me (comically) off into the grass. For a 30kph crash I got off pretty lightly with just some elbow skin removed, might invest in some knee/elbow pads.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Well after 20 years of riding mountain bikes I had my first stack.. Slight misjudgement on approach to a corner, front wheel clipped the soft verge and gripped, threw me (comically) off into the grass. For a 30kph crash I got off pretty lightly with just some elbow skin removed, might invest in some knee/elbow pads.
First stack in 20 years?! Where have you been riding, football ovals??

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
First stack in 20 years?! Where have you been riding, football ovals??
Please, I'd fall over in the wet there. I think he's been on the stationary trainer. And even then I'd fall off trying to clip in.

Last edited:

Coopz

Likes Dirt
Please, I'd fall over in the wet there. I think he's been on the stationary trainer. And even then I'd fall of trying to clip in.
Aw I'm just a slow coach. Prefer the safe routes rather than the jagged rock decents. Seen quite a few injuries to other riders over the years of working in ortho trauma.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Broken scaphoid.
Had a bit of a front wash out in a loose berm and laid against the bank on my left side. Somehow broke my right wrist. It only felt like a bit of a tweak, I kept riding for a while until I thought I’d better ease off it.
Third break in two years:rolleyes:

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Bugger some risk of avascular necrosis , get a good surgeon, if private and doesnt heal.
Was riding over a wooden northshore brige 3 weeks ago as i have 1000 x but planks loose due to drought one jammed under back wheel fell onto back = 5 ribs .
Then fire preparation , climbing ladder to cut tree limb = broke both arms 10 days ago.
Bit of a mess arms OK ,cant cough laugh ribs cause painful spasms.
Hence lots of social media posts.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Bugger some risk of avascular necrosis , get a good surgeon, if private and doesnt heal.
Was riding over a wooden northshore brige 3 weeks ago as i have 1000 x but planks loose due to drought one jammed under back wheel fell onto back = 5 ribs .
Then fire preparation , climbing ladder to cut tree limb = broke both arms 10 days ago.
Fuck me! That is an amazing effort.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
That's some serious suckage there, rowdy.

I hope you heal well, and come back a bit Steve Austin.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk