Installing dc forks -in english please-

ok i no there has been a thread on parts n stuff on this b4 but that didn't help me at all

i have 01 boxxers im trying to get on a 02 stinky, i roughly did it but havent tightened nuthing, there is no spacers and the steerer pole only goes like 3/4 of the way up the headstem, wat will happen if i leave it like this(might get new bottom crown later)?, also, where do i need spacers? and why? hitting frame, ill just likedo sumthing or other to stop that, but i wanna no how 2 do it from sum1 thats dun it b4......

jungle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
forks

hey,

sounds like you are in a bit of trouble there
as i saw your ad in the wanted to buy
bottom crown and steerer 250mm or longer

anyway's

how long is the steerer on ya 2001 boxxers ?
and
how long is the headtube on ya bike ?
and
what is your stack height of ya headset ?

my boxxers have a 212mm steerer
and it fits a 130mm headtube
with a 32mm stack height headset
with no spacers
it gives me 40mm of steerer above the
top crown to bolt my stem which is 45mm high

the guy rang me and sed the steerer pole is fine 3/4 of the way up the stem, its just on the 2nd bolt of the stem, he sed like 4 twists of the headset top bolt and it shood b fine, wats stack height? who wants 2 come 2 my place 2 set em up 4 me? =p im 2 farkin lazy, ill pay ya.... i think ill risk it

jungle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
stem

best if you could get the steerer to go past the top bolt

another solution is to get a lower stem
i use a azonic shorty which is 45mm high
and the two bolts are low on the stem

the raceface diablous stem is 40mm high
and might work even better

and there are probably numerous other stems out there
that are lower too

cheers

bighitter

Likes Bikes and Dirt
really, you should have a spacer ontop of the headset (below the top crown).
maybe you could change to a different stem and headset combo to lower the stack hight ? or maybe try and find a romic or goldtec itegrated stem, although they are quite dear.

But i wouldnt risk using it with only a small amount of the stem clamped to the steerer.

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
considering that you are running dual crown forks for the strength, don't compromise that by running the wrong set up.
if you bsolutly have to keep the stem you have, then you will need to buy a longet steerer.
order of instalation for most DC forks is
bottom clamp, bottom headset race,bottom seal, bearings, bottom cup, topcup, bearings, top race, top seal, headset wedge, spacer of size to fit so that you don't have any problems with the drop crown on top hitting things, top clamp, whatever spacers you need to get stem to right height (hopefully none) stem, top cap for headset.
if you can't fit all that on, get a new steerer. don't mess about, because you're going to be hanging off this thing when you bomb DH runs, and if it's not done right, it's your neck on the line.

jungle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
spacers

Do you need to put a spacer under the top crown
as i just run my top crown straight on top of my headset ?

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it's a good idea to use a spacer under the top crown, especialy if you use a drop crown. it ensures that the top race and wedge for the headset are seated properly, and stops the crown from ploughing up your frame.