Intense Primer Creaking like a Kmart special!

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,

not looking for advice or a solution; just wandering if any intense owners are constantly plagued by creaking? I know all the places to look and manage to silence them, but after a few rides other creaks develop.

The biggest culprit gas been the 2 bottom linkage points. The expander cones and bolts are a friggin nightmare. The’ve all been replaced.

the rear axle seems to be behaving lately but afain, the expansion cones are a pain!.
I’ve also had to loctite the headset cups into the frame as they constantly creaked. Mot ideal, but it worked where nothing else did.

I also installed a thread together bb as the standard pressfut were useless. The fit into this particular frame is a very light pressfit… not great imo.

I’ve also had to remove clean and grease the shock bushings many times.

Anyhow, just wandering if others have similar issues. Perhaps I I got a friday arvo special? If you gave an intense, this may also give you s few places to check if you’re having issues.

BTW, the bike is over 3 years old and creaked from day 1. I’ve had 2 intense bikes; both had similar issues. Definitely wouldn’t buy another!

BKMad

Likes Dirt
I've got a spider thats a bit over 3 years old. Never creaked, never done any maintenance on any of the pivots. Maybe I got lucky. Now that you've mentioned this, I think I will leave the pivots well alone.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got a spider thats a bit over 3 years old. Never creaked, never done any maintenance on any of the pivots. Maybe I got lucky. Now that you've mentioned this, I think I will leave the pivots well alone.
Maybe the key is just let everything wear it n and never wash it!

Flow-Rider

Burner
I don't think it will be the fault of the expander cones and bolts, maybe the material or the interface design. But saying that I do notice most bike parts that are anodised will creak when dry.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
A mate with a Recluse had similar issues (creaks, annoying af noise) that were ultimately resolved with replacing the upper linkage rocker. That resolved the creaks (but not all noise, still some rattling from internal routing).

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't think it will be the fault of the expander cones and bolts, maybe the material or the interface design. But saying that I do notice most bike parts that are anodised will creak when dry.
Maybe not the expander cones, but definitely related. Once they are cleaned greased and retorqued, they behave for a short while.

moorey

call me Mia
Unrelated but related, the Revels have a common issue where the main pivot bolt needs a 5 minute removal and regrease once every 6 months or so to stop a minor creak. There’s dudes on the revel page who say adore the bike but they dramatically limit their riding and never wash the bike to avoid having to do this. I’m like ‘WTF!’. Felix rides the cuss out of his, washes all the time, and after 14 months, I’m about to do it the second time. Who buys a bike they love, and doesn’t ride it for fear of having to do the most basic of maintenance?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Maybe not the expander cones, but definitely related. Once they are cleaned greased and retorqued, they behave for a short while.
I've got a few on the GT and only had a creak once after I had degreased the bike but there was bugger all grease in there from new, never had a noise since.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Unrelated but related, the Revels have a common issue where the main pivot bolt needs a 5 minute removal and regrease once every 6 months or so to stop a minor creak. There’s dudes on the revel page who say adore the bike but they dramatically limit their riding and never wash the bike to avoid having to do this. I’m like ‘WTF!’. Felix rides the cuss out of his, washes all the time, and after 14 months, I’m about to do it the second time. Who buys a bike they love, and doesn’t ride it for fear of having to do the most basic of maintenance?

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I've got a four year old Primer. Replaced two of the expander cone bolts on one of the linkages, but can't remember which one. The heads had fractured from fatigue. Like you I also have a thread together BB, and I replaced the rear axle with a DT Swiss one as the two different Allan keys sizes to remove the axle on the original design were rank stupidly for trail side repairs. Noting all that it's been a pretty creak free bike, I can only remember having one early on in the upper link thanks to a loose bolt which needed tightening. Internal routing definitely rattles though, I suspect it's the dropper cable run.