Intro + Vintage 1997 Specialized Hardrock GX

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi all,

New to these forums. I'm super into cars, and run a forum for Japanese car lovers:
http://www.jdmstyletuning.com

But having said that I am also in need of getting fit and thought I'd get into bikes again.

I've just found this under the house:

It's a 1996/1997 Specialized Hardrock GX and it's in need of a lot of TLC.

I've been out of the Mountain Bike Scene for so many years (I'm 32 now). When I was a kid I used to work at a bike shop in Randwick, near Centennial Park, on the weekends. I was super into bikes, both road and MTB's and even competed in the 1991 Bell Nationals where I didn't do too badly.

I've been so out of it that I didn't even realise handlebar stem designs have totally changed. I had intentions of ripping this bike apart, but the guys at the local bike shop are saying it's vintage, and in great condition considering it's age. They're inspiring me to keep it as is, and put a bit of TLC into it and bring it back from the dead.

So it looks like I have a little project on my hands. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Latest picture: 6/11/08

1997 Specialized Hardrock GX
------------------------------------------
Brake Lever: Shimano XTR lever (166g) $54.50
Brake: Avid BB7 (456g) $100
--Alligator Disc Rotor 160mm + bolts (218g) $47.95
--A2Z disc brake convertor (124g) $28
Cables: XTR/Alligator(103g) $30
Cassette: Fire Eye single speed spacers (60g) $50
--Chris King 16 Tooth Cog, Stainless Steel (32g) $45.35
Chain: KMC SuperLite X9SL Hollow Pin (211g) $48.22
Crankset: Raceface Evolve XC/Shimano Hollowtech BB (861g)
---BlackSpire Mono Veloce Chainring 32t (45g) $27.40
Fork: SASO carbon fork (815g) $173
Frame: Specialized Hardrock GX Chro-mo (2390g)
Grips: Ritchey 2008 WCS Grips (39g) $16
Handlebar: Controltech scandium bar (114g) $55
Headset: Chris King 1-1/8 (124g) $125.85
Pedals: VP 196 pedals (280g) $28.30
Quick Releases: Trans X bolt on skewers (66g) $8.50
Seat Binder: Tranz X seatpost bolt (14g) $12.90
Seat: Selle Italia SLR Flite Kit Carbonio (169g) $100
Seatpost: KCNC Ti Pro Lite Scandium (153g) $101.70
--Seatpost shim (12g) $8.50
Stem: Syntace Stem (98g) $42.80
Tyre: Maxlite 310 (311g x 2) $99
Tubes: Maxxis flyweight x 2 (98g/tube) $18.80
Wheelset: FSA XC-300 SL (1872g) $300
-----------------------------------------
Total Cost: $1521.77
Total Weight: 9.24kg

1st thread on Farkin:
http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=116047

Last edited:

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You have the biggest flat in the world!
First thing to fix!

The frame you have is pretty decent.
All you should do is upgrade a few parts now and then, like bars, brakes, cassette and derailer.

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haha thanks tupper.

I'm going to need a fair bit of advice on this one.

Ultimately I'm going to buy one of the new skool MTB's but this little project will keep me busy in the meantime.

I found a guy in the USA selling old skool T-Bone stems. I think I can get a new style stem system, not sure?

My first question is, is there anyone in Aus. that sells old skool gear? I'd like a more aggressive stem, one that has no angle up, and stretches outwards.

Something like this:

Or this even:

'Ross

Eats Squid
PM AngoXC !!!!!!!!! He just offered me something very similar, unfortunately Im looking for something completely different.

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
OK I might get flamed for putting a "lot" of cash into such a ratty old bike, but here's goes an update:

- The frame is at Mr Clean in Padstow getting blasted, then powder coated in an off white.

Here are some parts, mostly from Farkin members (thanks guys you know who you are!) and also cheap eBay wins. All ready to go on the bike!

New front end thanks to Farkin + Downhill Direct!

Specials on Torpedo7. Can't fit this fat on the rear so have gone for a cheaper and thinner Michellin Country rear.

DMR chain guide. 100% going single speed (I caved in huh?) and have a new chain, tensioner and ss spacer kit on the way.

Farkin score.

Great seat. $28 eBay bargain.

So, still waiting on the frame, a front disc wheel I picked up cheap on eBay, single speed parts. I'm then going to do up a very nice custom decal kit (I am a graphic designer afterall!). More updates soon.

No Licence

Likes Bikes
Im not 100% but your headtube might be too narrow for the forks you bought, they'll be 1 1/8 where as the old school threaded was only 1 inch? Ive just put my old mongoose back together after years for my dad, its from the same era everything needs an overhall lol.

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hmm... i know there is 1 1/8th threaded, and i'm pretty sure you can change then to threadless, otherwise your pretty much stuck with ridged forks, or cheapos, but it looks nioce!

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Of-course I've checked :)

It's a 1 1/8 threaded fork/headset which I've chucked out with the heavy ass quill stem and I'm replacing it with a new headset. Should work a treat! :)

The BB is also 73/110 so it's easy to get a new single front crankset for it. The ony strange/hard to come by thing is the seat tube at 30.2.

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some more updates today.

eBay Shimano Hone crankset + BB + Wellgo pedals are on. Awesome stuff (I knew I could trust Shimano) very light, love the new skool hollow crank set bb axle external bearings thingy, being able to see through the BB is both strange and cool.

Wellgo pedals (eBay). Look cool, hope they work well, bit heavy though (heavier than my old plastic pedals).

661 Shoes. Fark I love these, perfect. I can walk around in them and not look like a total tool.

Cleats are on the 661's. Got them for a bargain on Torpedo7.

For the life of me, after all the internet searching... I couldn't figure out how to get the whole front end to tighten up as there was play in the headset. Turns out I needed a 5mm spacer! I'm such a newb at all this new school shiat!

Same here, couldn't get the brakes on right, couldn't adjust them right, ripped some hair out... gave up and got the guys down at Maroubra Cycles to help, what awesome dudes, they machined down the adapter and voila! All working great now.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
And who said anything about overcapitalising on a bicycle!
While this is awesome, like I said earlier, it will be hugely unbalanced because of the weight on the front end. Also consider the fact Specialized never quite intended Dirt Jumpers to be put on their hardrocks...(handling characteristics will be very different with the addition of a suspention fork)...alas, when the time comes to get a more recent frameset, your bike will indeed kick ass! (Im thinking a good ol' DMR frame would be a sweet replacment for this one...)

You should look into getting a more burly rear wheel...possibly a V-brake version of the Rhyno Lite...and a really good rear V-brake to match the front disc. Avid V's are really great but they can be expensive. Hit up the onlne stores for some good deals or check out eBay. (Hayes HMX-1 levers actually have a really similar body to the HFX-9 lever if you were really pedantic about your cockpit)

Great to see life breathed back into such an awesome machine.

Last edited:

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey cheers Angus :)

Yes a fat rear rim is on the cards, also a fatter rear tyre + rear brake upgrade. Just waiting for some bargains to appear on farkin/ebay :)

H

>Henry

Looking good mate, Loving that "profiled" seat. Good to see a old girl given some good old TLC.

Roly

Likes Bikes and Dirt
dude this is so awesome

you've done a great job with building it and scoring some really nice parts
the only recommendation of mine at this stage is a burlier rear wheelset (incl. tyre), but it sounds like this should be covered soon.
also looking forward to seeing a decal/paint job

Other than that its mad - what are you planning on using it for?

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks guys for the feedback. It's been HEAPS of fun putting it together.

As far as what is the bike going to be used for? The journey is the destination. I did primarily want to just use it for getting fit again. It's definitely not going to be for the hardcore shit you guys get up to these days! More for fun trail riding so the seat pole will come up, and whether or not that seat is going to be on there for long or not, we'll see (might come off now actually it's pretty to look at but damn uncomfy just sitting on it for 5 minutes). Time will dictate what happens to the bike.

I'm a designer by trade and have been absolutely racking my brains over a custom vinyl decal design for the bike. My mate Scien from the 123Klan might come into the picture as I love his work. We'll see.

PS: Weighed the bike in at 13kgs! That's only 1kg heavier than it was dead stock. Awesome! I'm pretty damn happy as the front forks and front tyres are SO HEAVY. If I put a thinner/lighter tyre up front + rigids I'll be down to 10kgs EASY!

Some updates:

Fire Eye single speed kit.

Maxxis Larson 2.35 tyre on the rear.