Inverse beater project - even uglier!

Rik

logged out
And... as promised:

It's together :cool: And looking fugly as planned :eek:
Only a few things to do, change cranks (anyone have a 5/110 crankset they want to let go for cheap?) and add mudguards - mounts need to be made for them first but I'm in no rush.

Oh, if you couldn't tell, I hit the frame with multiple colours of a stencil I had. It is a word with meaning (to me) but it's pretty much unreadable thus makes for a nice abstract look.

That was fun, the mudguards and rack will definately complete the look. It does ride pretty well, I'm trying to get used to the higher bar position but it accelerates and corners like a demon. Unfortunately I have an issue with slipping dropouts so will have to sort out that soon, nothing a bit of engineering ingenuity can't fix. Keep an eye out for this thread for the final touches to be made.

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's nice work, I did a similar thing to my commuter to stop it getting stolen: :D

Oh yeah, knurled washers and filing off the paint should help with the dropouts - worked for my Unit...

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 92
Last edited:

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
that is the ugliest piece of shit i've ever seen :p

nice work rik! if you can get your hands on an octalink bb, i've got a pair of 175mm (i think) ultegra cranks kicking around here somewhere :p pretty sure theyre 5/110

MrPlow

TMBC
nice work rik, i reckon you should take the stickers of the rims now though.

Sorry, but I am going to piss myself if this thing gets nicked!

alpinestar12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
nice work rik, i reckon you should take the stickers of the rims now though.

Sorry, but I am going to piss myself if this thing gets nicked!
yeah, you gotta take the rim stickers off. Also, chuck it in a garbage dumpster for a while to give it a skunk effect.

maiz

Likes Dirt
Looksd like you succeded in your project Rik, that paint job looks like something I left in the gutter outside the local pub the other week.
With the slipping dropouts get rid of the allen key bolts and get some hex head bolts to get better clamping force, I did this with my UNIT and it works fine.
Can't wait to see it with guards and rack to top off the package.

Cameo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Love the random chainring behind the one you're using; so pointless.

Looks shithouse.

Stereochild

Likes Dirt
umm, hope i dont see this anywhere, to me it sorta looks good:S

cept the chainring thing, thats silly

does the word say smash? or smasht?

...jim

skanky media ho
umm, hope i dont see this anywhere, to me it sorta looks good:S
Gotta agree. It looks pretty good to me! In the pix at least the paint-job kinda looks like it oughta look like that.

Perhaps take to the saddle, post and stem with a file, or some stickers... and get it 'dirty'.

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seems like you have created a new ghetto chic, I herebye dub this trend 'Derelicte'. Long may it reign...

Rik

logged out
UGLIFIED!

Doesn't get much worse than this:cool:

Cranks were bought supercheap on clearout, whilst they're heavy they sure are stiff!
Downtube mudguard catches most of the front wheel spray, I'm not too keen on a "proper" guard as they always catch your feet and like to rattle against the tyre.
Have a 2nd set of wheels for offroad, just need a narrower rear tyre for mudguard clearance:rolleyes:
And I must say, Avid cable brakes combined with SD levers are by far the most tuneable, thus best feeling, brakes you can get. It's awesome being able to control the bike on its front wheel at speed, makes cbd shenanigans even more fun.

Anyway, you won't see me on here much anymore but if you see this bike out and about feel free to projectile vomit in my direction.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
defintaly get stolen, every one knows that any drunk person who see's a biek with disc's tries to steal it!!!
.. so to cool for farkin now? or realised that there is more to life then posting on farkin multiple times a day?

'Ross

Eats Squid
Doesn't get much worse than this:cool:
I dunno, I saw this pretty similar yet more ugly bike the other day in an abandoned mill:p

You may have seen on ten news today there was a fire at the mill, this very room was burned to the ground!

PSYCHO-T

Likes Dirt
Looking good Rik
but maybe tie it to the back of a car and take it for a drive for 50-100mtrs?

otherwise it looks great for an errr, uglied bike
;)

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A year later - still flogging it to and from work. Borked the frame but got a replacement, another KHS :cool:
Didn't want to paint this one, so covered it in stickers instead.
Swapped back to a V brake on the rear to suit my nexus trial, hopefully I won't be locking up the rear wheel as much under heavy braking :D:rolleyes:

Put it on the scales, 12.9kg. Not surprising really, but everything's built to last. Needs more stickers ;)

(ohs noes, my alias has been ousted!)