Iron Horse Sunday linkage parts

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys I'm trying to help my friend restore her old 09 Sunday and it desperately needs new linkage bolts and bearings, does anyone know where I might be able to find some? I know they're not made anymore so I'll be most likely looking for old stock or second hand in good nick. Any help will be much appreciated.

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do you have the old bearings and bolts. Take the existing bolt to a bolt shop, (get a high tensile one). Take the existing bearings to a bearing shop. Ends up being cheaper that way. I just did the exact same thing, High tensile bolts cost me $5 & 7 bearings cost me $30...

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do you have the old bearings and bolts. Take the existing bolt to a bolt shop, (get a high tensile one). Take the existing bearings to a bearing shop. Ends up being cheaper that way. I just did the exact same thing, High tensile bolts cost me $5 & 7 bearings cost me $30...
Oh so you can just get standard bolts for them? Sweet, didn't know that. Thanks heaps!

8738br

Likes Bikes
try this guy for bearings www.diymtb.com.au he's sorted me out a few times for my 6 point. you'll need to give him the code / number thats on the bearing itself. I found non mtb specific bearing suppliers didnt have what i needed. This my may be the case on the sunday also

Shredden

Knows his goats
I replaced the bearings in my Sunday with a kit from the "enduro fork seals" brand, was about $60 or so from memory, and they were very good quality. You probably wont get IH bearings from a normal bearing shop, as the inner race is longer than the outer one on one side. Hard to explain, but you'll understand when you see yours.

With regards to the bolts; you can replace most of the smaller ones - the ones in the upper rocker linkage and the smaller, tapered ones in the lower linkage can be sourced from a bolt shop.

If you are brave enough, drill a hole and tap a thread through the lower linkage and put a small grub screw in there - it stops the "pin" from rotating in the linkage, so you dont develop play in there. Inbox me if you need help. UDI also knows everything there is to know about Sundays. So maybe message him for some help if you need.

whiteman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I bought a bunch a linkage parts for my Sunday from TBSM. However, that was a few years ago now.
Last I heard they bought all the spare parts from the Aus distributor when Ironhorse went under, so you may still have some luck with them.

T-Rex

Template denier
A couple of ex IH employees purchased the US stock from the receiver when it went bust, and were selling it off. I got one of them on the phone, he was a really good guy, very genuine. I managed to get a new link, pin and a couple of hangers at very reasonable prices about two years ago, a lot less $$ than Peirce in the UK. But I can't for the life of me find their details, sorry. Maybe a bit of googling and you might find them, they were on the east coast of the US, either Conneticut or New York from memory.

captain3k

Likes Bikes
Sunday Linkage - grub screw mod

Hi, Can anyone help with some more detail on the grub screw mod suggested above by Shredden? has anyone done this? can it be used to tighten up a linkage that has started to develop (a very small amount) of play.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Hi, Can anyone help with some more detail on the grub screw mod suggested above by Shredden? has anyone done this? can it be used to tighten up a linkage that has started to develop (a very small amount) of play.
I see this as the main issue with the Sundayaas it ages. The link and or pin wear due to movement and develop play. Link pins can still be found but DW links themselves are like rocking horse poo. Having said that, I got one recently by putting a WTB on here.

The mod involves drilling a hole in the middle of the link (rear triangle end) and tapping with a thread. This allows a grub screw to be threaded in and tightened against the link axle, preventing the axle from rotating within the link and therefore eliminating, or at least, reducing wear. It should tighten up the play in your link but will always be a stop gap given wear has already occured.

Last edited: