AM Ironhorse 6point6 rebuild

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Well, I got an opportunity to be that wanker, so I took it.

Bring on more Ironhorse. Picked up a large 6point off a fellow burner a while back, but the car has been taking all the funds. Should follow same plan as my Sunday rebuild, every part replaced eventually with 2016+ spec, newer geo and hopefully pretty light. Eventually it'll get a repsray once my other Sunday is finished (even bigger plans, 27.5" sized plans...) to match and have the shed looking like they were both new from the factory.

Spec list in black is what I still need, green is what I have already

Current spec list plans are:

Frame - 6point6 Large
Rear shock - FOX Float X
Front froks - FOX 36 Float
Handlebars - Raceface SixC 800
Stem - Raceface Atlas
Headset - Something
Grips - ODI Ruffian Green
Saddle - Raceface Atlas I-beam
Seatpost - SDG Carbon I-beam
Brakes - Avid Guide RSC
Discs - Sram Centreline
Cranks - Raceface Atlas Cinch
Chainguide - One-up Chain Guide
Pedals - Clips, flats, we will see...
Rear derailleur - X1 11spd
Rear shifter - X1 11spd
Cassette - XG 11spd
Wheelset - Stans Flow EX MkIII
Tyres - Schwobbly's F&R

I like Fox Sram builds with Raceface holding everything else together, should come out light. May go dropper eventually if I find something that fits a 30.0mm ST, but the kashima transfer dropper won't so what's the point in living anyway. Will edit in some pics of it later today.

Last edited:

NoFilter

Likes Dirt
Keen to see how this builds up, great frame with huge potential. By the sounds of your spec choice she should build up to be a banger, hopefully you can do it justice by putting a nicer colour on it!

aanon

Likes Dirt
Interesting, The Sunday was/is a bloody good thing and this looks similar, keen to follow the progress of this puppy.
Any idea of frame weight with x2?

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Keen to see how this builds up, great frame with huge potential. By the sounds of your spec choice she should build up to be a banger, hopefully you can do it justice by putting a nicer colour on it!
See my Sunday thread in my sig, think similar paint but less green more black.
Interesting, The Sunday was/is a bloody good thing and this looks similar, keen to follow the progress of this puppy.
Any idea of frame weight with x2?
Approx 7.5 lbs, take about 60g off with float x so bang on 3kg maybe but that frame weight might be with a coil. What's a normal enduro rig frame weight? She is a bit of old tech and thick tubing.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

aanon

Likes Dirt
That is a good weight for alloy, on the money for sure. I had a v3 Meta AM that was closer to 4kg I reckon.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
That is a good weight for alloy, on the money for sure. I had a v3 Meta AM that was closer to 4kg I reckon.
That's from old forum threads so grain of salt, could be a lot more, haven't weighed it myself. It's funny, with that float x that'd make it 0.03 lbs lighter than a new Mach 6 alloy, so teeechnically... Large probably adds a few grams here and there but I'm after a fun bike in the end that I enjoy. Could go buy a carbon pivot if I was really concerned with weight.

Might order a few of the bits today, but everything will be sitting in a box until the frame gets stripped and sprayed. Looking into some sneaky internal routing down the line.

Last edited:

BT180

Max Pfaff
Nice! This was my dream bike back when these were new. Should be able to handle anything you throw at it.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Smallish update but exciting for me still. Got new hardware and the shock is looking good in the bike. Big crc order soon, then figuring out paint and wheels.

aanon

Likes Dirt
Excellent, got a rough idea on colour?
I have a thing for high vis yellow, others say it looks super market cheap, there again, I like the look of Knolly bikes but not Nomads, go figure.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Interested to see how this turns out, both my Sunday and Azure are such good bikes I have high expectations for this. Is it possible to get off set cups/angleset to slacken it out a little?

hazza6542

Eats Squid
I have a thing for high vis yellow, others say it looks super market cheap, there again, I like the look of Knolly bikes but not Nomads, go figure.
Black and green, matching throughout on the parts too. Anodized bearing covers in green, maybe ano the linkage too. Mostly black componentry but green clips, green logo on bars, green highlights on saddle and green top guide. And lots of Kashima, in theory I should be fine putting in a 30.9 Fox Transfer dropper if I ream out the seat tube the slightest. Not sure, I'd be left with a 30.9 ID but a reasonably larger OD than other current frames using the same grade alu. Need to talk to an engineer or frame builder first.

Interested to see how this turns out, both my Sunday and Azure are such good bikes I have high expectations for this. Is it possible to get off set cups/angleset to slacken it out a little?

Well yeah and no. I could get them if I keep the lyriks on, but I'm definitely going 36's in the future which will only give me taper steerer. Unless I spend dumb money getting an older one with straight steerer 26 lowers, then get new 650 lowers and newer cartridge (Or just settle for not having the latest greatest gear that's too good for me anyway). On paper the 650 front should give me the geo I'm after matched with the shorter shock. Also been looking at a new rear triangle custom built to hold bigger wheels. Keep the leverage exactly the same just slightly extended CS. Would keep the leverage ratio and BB height the same and let me set geo almost where I want it. Have contemplated doing everything and going internal routing as well with custom rear tri but that will be a bit more project than I need, already got the 27.5 Sunday to start. 2 650b horses would be cool though.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Black and green, matching throughout on the parts too. Anodized bearing covers in green, maybe ano the linkage too. Mostly black componentry but green clips, green logo on bars, green highlights on saddle and green top guide. And lots of Kashima, in theory I should be fine putting in a 30.9 Fox Transfer dropper if I ream out the seat tube the slightest. Not sure, I'd be left with a 30.9 ID but a reasonably larger OD than other current frames using the same grade alu. Need to talk to an engineer or frame builder first.

Well yeah and no. I could get them if I keep the lyriks on, but I'm definitely going 36's in the future which will only give me taper steerer. Unless I spend dumb money getting an older one with straight steerer 26 lowers, then get new 650 lowers and newer cartridge (Or just settle for not having the latest greatest gear that's too good for me anyway). On paper the 650 front should give me the geo I'm after matched with the shorter shock. Also been looking at a new rear triangle custom built to hold bigger wheels. Keep the leverage exactly the same just slightly extended CS. Would keep the leverage ratio and BB height the same and let me set geo almost where I want it. Have contemplated doing everything and going internal routing as well with custom rear tri but that will be a bit more project than I need, already got the 27.5 Sunday to start. 2 650b horses would be cool though.
Frame builder should be able to ream the post out, have thought about doing the same on my azure. Reckon geometry is more important than latest fork tech, I would go straight 1 1/8 - sure I saw BOS recently in that set up for sane money.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Frame builder should be able to ream the post out, have thought about doing the same on my azure. Reckon geometry is more important than latest fork tech, I would go straight 1 1/8 - sure I saw BOS recently in that set up for sane money.
30.0 is just an annoying size altogether to get stuff for now anyway. Pretty limited in choice, after using a dropper I can see myself wanting one later down the line. If I go through with it I'll let you know how it holds up, the old horses were built pretty tough and there's enough meat on em to handle it. Geo is looking good with a 650 front 36 anyway at the moment, I'm no enduro tech wiz but should be sitting around 66 which seems up to date with modern enduro rigs, should keep the BB about the same as stock by raising the front end and lowering the rear.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Could work. From memory the 6point5 came out in a bright yellow