Is a chain checker worth it?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I've picked one up recently. I think it's a good buy. Keep an eye on the chain and swap it out so it saves the other drivetrain bits before they need to be replaced prematurely.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yes cheap ones work just as well with practice.
Its one of the most important maintenance tools that will prolong your drive train.
Previously used a ruler = fugetaboutit.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I have about 3 of the cheap/simple metal ones kicking around.

Definitely an essential tool to have.

Keep an eye on chain wear and replace at 0.75mm 'stretch'.

Saves chain rings, cassettes and derailleur jockeys.

ausdb

Being who he is
Put the $25 towards a digital vernier caliper and use the calculator on your phone, a little bit more faffing around but the verniers will be much more useful. If you already have a vernier then save your $$

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Ok it's in the shopping cart!

Just need to find a decent 10 speed chain to keep handy. I don't want to buy shite but neither do I want XTR just yet!

andrew9

Likes Dirt
A 12 inch ruler is supposedly more accurate, kinda of a disputed thing, so let's argue...

I use both a ruler and a chain checker. When checker slips in the smallest side, I'll then measure 12 links at the pins, and if it's about 2mm past 12 inches I'll swap it. Always important to mix metric and imperial when doing bike stuff.

Can just use the ruler, checker is just faster

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

andrew9

Likes Dirt
Best chain checker are verniers, followed closely by
https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/park-c...It8CAVuT_9SrkRc2UWTO_dYOvPG8UDrBoCpeQQAvD_BwE

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
How do verniers help?
Wouldn't measuring chain length with calipers involve an internal measurement at one end and an external measurement at the other? Calipers don't work like that?
If you just measure internal between the rollers, you'd then have to subtract one roller diameter to get pitch length, then you bring error from the roller's clearance?
Unless you just measure a new chain and compare to the old one?

I don't really care that much, but if a caliper is a more accurate solution I'm keen on giving it a go

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
digging up rather than startin' new.

I have one of these (got from Y's Road in JP years ago) but want another (gift etc)..
Anyone seen something like this local?
has pins on the bottom and a dial that rotates

https://www.cs-maverick.com/?post_type=product&p=33562
1706875322301.png
1706875257492.png

EDIT: nevermind.. found a cheapy crappier version :p
1706876199928.png

Last edited:

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
If you run multiple chains to extend drivetrain life or are the type that remove their chain when cleaning the bike and/or drivetrain, make a simple wear checker by fixing a 3mm screw into a vertical surface that you can hang the chain off (I have modular shelving with steel uprights and use one of the uprights). Hang a new chain off the screw with a little bit of tension on the bottom end of the chain so that it’s straight, then count down 80 links and mark a horizontal centreline at the 80th link pin to calibrate the zero wear length (check calibration with a couple of new chains if you have them).

80 links x 1/2” per link is very close to 1m, so you can now measure wear by hanging up your used chain on the screw and measuring how far the centre of the 80th link pin has dropped below your original calibration mark, with every 1mm of drop being near enough to 0.1% chain elongation - 5mm below the line is 0.5% and new chain time. It’s also handy to hang two chains on the screw to quickly see which is the least worn if you’re rotating several chains.

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
digging up rather than startin' new.

I have one of these (got from Y's Road in JP years ago) but want another (gift etc)..
Anyone seen something like this local?
has pins on the bottom and a dial that rotates

https://www.cs-maverick.com/?post_type=product&p=33562
View attachment 406666View attachment 406665

EDIT: nevermind.. found a cheapy crappier version :p
View attachment 406667
I got one of these a little similar but https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...52lGKV6Y&utparam-url=scene:search|query_from:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
If you run multiple chains to extend drivetrain life or are the type that remove their chain when cleaning the bike and/or drivetrain, make a simple wear checker by fixing a 3mm screw into a vertical surface that you can hang the chain off (I have modular shelving with steel uprights and use one of the uprights). Hang a new chain off the screw with a little bit of tension on the bottom end of the chain so that it’s straight, then count down 80 links and mark a horizontal centreline at the 80th link pin to calibrate the zero wear length (check calibration with a couple of new chains if you have them).

80 links x 1/2” per link is very close to 1m, so you can now measure wear by hanging up your used chain on the screw and measuring how far the centre of the 80th link pin has dropped below your original calibration mark, with every 1mm of drop being near enough to 0.1% chain elongation - 5mm below the line is 0.5% and new chain time. It’s also handy to hang two chains on the screw to quickly see which is the least worn if you’re rotating several chains.
Great advice.

Having xx1 11 speed across all bikes, I have 6 chains, and do this hanging method to quickly select the least worn chain. Becomes apparent when you do this, measuring off side plate position is a lot more accurate then a chain checker that pushes on the bushing too.

Can also get vernier calipers and measure chain plates/pins over 127mm or 254mm when the chain is on the bike, between chainring and derailleur.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
Great advice.

Having xx1 11 speed across all bikes, I have 6 chains, and do this hanging method to quickly select the least worn chain. Becomes apparent when you do this, measuring off side plate position is a lot more accurate then a chain checker that pushes on the bushing too.

Can also get vernier calipers and measure chain plates/pins over 127mm or 254mm when the chain is on the bike, between chainring and derailleur.
so you're saying i "need" to buy a 300mm vernier? :cool:

1706930712118.png

Calvin27

Eats Squid
How do verniers help?
Most allow you to do internal measurements. Aside from being a lot more accurate, they can 'track' the wear a lot better. I.e. you know when it's close, not just if it's pass or fail. Most of the time when it fails it's already done the damage, particularly for a newer cassette.

I do notice with my road gear, the shifting starts to go to crap before it even fails the park tool test. As the cassette ages this might change but so far 5000km and it gets fussy well before the 0.5 wear rate.

Also the other part that a lot of people miss is that the chain can wear differently across the whole thing. Some parts might be in spec, others might be more stretched. Important to measure in a few locations to check.