Is a Dualie much smoother?

Coopz

Likes Dirt
Bit of a dumb question as I've never ridden a proper dual suspension bike. I am seriously considering buying one as I was riding my 29er hardtail last week (which I love) but I had a momentary lapse in concentration and hit a tree root while sitting, it gave my back a bit of a jarring which took a good few days to get over. Just wondering how much better a Dualie would be at soaking these bumps up?
I'm budget limited so it would be a entry level $2k type (like a Polygon 29er).

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Short answer - yes.

Slightly more details - different suspension platforms provide different levels of smoothness. I have owned vpp, CBF, maestro, fsr, Horst, faux fsr, single pivot, dw links, and some others I can't think of just now. All feel quite different. My personal favourites are the vpp and CBF. My least favourite is maestro and single. While there are plenty of people on here who love maestro and at least 1 person that feels seems to love single pivots. Ou should try a lot of different ones.

The Polygon and Marin bikes from bicycles on lone are great value for money. What do you intend to do with your $2000 bike? This will have an impact on how suitable for you the budget is. Nobody enjoys being a tight arse up front and then bleeding money to upgrade.

Coopz

Likes Dirt
Thanks for that, the bike I'd lean towards is the Marin Rift Zone 1 29er as I do prefer the big 29 size (I'm 6'4).
There is some great trail rides near my place (Stuart Gorge, O'Halloran Hill rec Park) which are good, but bumpy bike trails, I would keep the hardtail for road riding.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
El poodles pretty on point. Don’t stress whether it’s fsr, vpp, horst etc though, different models using the same platform ride differently anyway so it’s no biggy what they use.

The 29” wheels will make it smoother again, which is good. Wheel size doesn’t change how the bike fits you though, xl 27.5” frames will fit just as well as xl 29” frames.

It’s irrelevant to your situation, the 29” wheel suits your needs better, it just irks me when people say big dudes should be on big wheels haha. :confused:
29ers roll over things better, that’s why you should be on them. Save the back!

Coopz

Likes Dirt
I mainly like the look of 29ers, the big, chunky wheels don't make me look so goofy when I'm riding with friends. Also find they roll better :)

Elpho

Likes Bikes
I have just recently switched from a hardtail to a dually due to having back issues, the dually is so much more comfortable, some trails that would previously shake me to pieces on the hardtail are nice and smooth on the dually, which has also opened up a lot more trail options for me as there was a lot that I had to avoid just because of how rough on the back they were on the hardtail.

Coopz

Likes Dirt
I have just recently switched from a hardtail to a dually due to having back issues, the dually is so much more comfortable, some trails that would previously shake me to pieces on the hardtail are nice and smooth on the dually, which has also opened up a lot more trail options for me as there was a lot that I had to avoid just because of how rough on the back they were on the hardtail.
Thanks:) that's the answer I needed to justify me buying one. I can't spend that much as I have a joint account with the wife and she thinks bicycles should never cost more than $500 (for a good one)

Z

Zaf

Thanks:) that's the answer I needed to justify me buying one. I can't spend that much as I have a joint account with the wife and she thinks bicycles should never cost more than $500 (for a good one)

You're among friends here. How much can you squirrel away from that account without her noticing?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
At risk of breaking up what might be otherwise perfect relationship, you could compare it to an engagement ring (or insert other useless thing). Then make the following claims to physiological health, wellbeing, mental health awareness in men, and said cigarette habit.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes it will be heaps smoother ! I've just started down the slippery slope of looking for the right FS bike for me.

These days you can take a hire/demo bike out for a day or two and give it a good try out - do that and you'll see pretty quickly how good they are.

I stopped riding partially due to suffering from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome on my old fully rigid MTB (and being a slack arse) Haven't ridden much at all for a farken long time and have done three demo rides of different bikes in the last 6 weeks or so. The first one had me sold in about 5 minutes of riding - this is what I need ! The good ones aren't cheap but if it keeps you riding and keeps you fit it's worth more than $2K IMO. I did several hours of riding each time with no CT symptoms, largely due to the superior one finger brakes but also I think the reduced strain on the hands from softening the bumps.

The Marins and Polygons look to be great value but I want to ride a bike before I cough up my hard earned.

A ton of info and experience to tap into here from serial bike fiends who've had all the good gear as it's evolved since FS became a reality on MTBs. Tell your Mrs you're worth it and you don't want to get fat ! get your own bank account and find a way to siphon off some $$. Do cash jobs on the weekends, whatever it takes :cool:;)