Is anybody using a GPS tracking device for safety's sake when riding

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi all,

I do 90% of my rides solo. Which causes my folks no end of worry - esp in the evening. Obviously I always have a phone with me, but that wouldn't do a lot of good if I ever managed to KO myself or couldn't satisfactorily describe my whereabouts to an ambulance if I broke my leg.

So, I was wondering if anybody uses a GPS/SPOT style device when they are riding by themselves?

I had a look online, and this sort of device doesn't seem outside the realms of realistic pricing for a little piece of mind: http://www.findmespot.net.au/spot-gen3-gps-messenger

Curious to see what others think/do

-Andrew

kwikee

Likes Dirt
I also ride solo most of the time and recall seeing something recently about a helmet with a built in shock sensor that will call a preset number in the event of a big hit and I believe send a location to that number. Good idea, but I'm more worried about having a heart attack or something and collapsing gently off some bit of off-piste trail somewhere. Is there a sensor for that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I also do a lot of riding solo. Actually I just got back from a solo night ride and was thinking about what could possibly go wrong as I did some rocky trails with a long drop into a river one one side.

Another mate of mine also rides solo quite a bit and has had a few prangs. He's never broken any bones but did knock himself one afternoon. He smashed up his face a bit and totaled his helmet and glasses. In the end he gathered himself up and made his way home.
Shit sure can happen but I think most of the time you'll be able to deal with it yourself.

If you are concerned about it yes the spot trackers work ok. They are not quite live though. If you have an iphone there are a few apps you could use, like Find my Friends. The new garmins can also give almost live tracking so loved ones can follow your progress.

rearviewmirror

Likes Dirt
If you're riding in Mobile coverage areas the "find my iPhone" type apps are fine. If you're riding in remote areas and don't want to end up like the 127 hours guy then get a proper PLB. I recommend the ACR Rescue Link. A Spot is a toy in comparison, I certainly wouldn't rely on it, it is no PLB.

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I looked into this a few months back. I looked at the Spot trackers but I didn't really see the point of live tracking. They also use a private company (SPOT) to handle the signals so if you do ever get into trouble and need help you are relying on SPOT to forward your request to the local authorities.

I ended up getting a Personal Locator Beacon called the "Ocean Signal RescueME" - See here: http://www.oceansignal.com/product.php?id=22
I chose it because it's the smallest one I could find so I just leave it in my hydrapack so I've always got it and when you request help it goes directly to the local authorities.

Hopefully I'll never need to use it, but for $300 over 7 years, it's pretty damn good value for the piece of mind you get by having it.

disappearin

Likes Dirt
We use a spot tracker for all our bike packing adventures. Haven't had to use it in an emergency but from all reports a fast response is expected.

Motorhead

Likes Bikes
My Garmin 510 has live tracking but uses my mobile to send the data back so only of use if reception is available but I figure even if you go out of range it still would give them a last know area to start from.

scblack

Leucocholic
Doesn't Strava Premium have a function that can allow others to follow your riding in real-time? That sort of function would surely do, then you alert someone you are riding and they monitor progress to some degree.

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tracking on Strava is fine as long as you have phone reception. The new Garmin also devices rely on a Bluetooth connection to your phone and therefore mobile phone reception. I've been riding in a few places where phone reception is non existent for 50km around me. In that instance a spot or plb/epirb are the only way someone is going to get your exact coordinates if you need help.