Is DH only for the younguns?

I've been riding xc for years now, well actually I can't remember not riding since my first ever bike, but I just got a long travel bike to baby sit from a friend and it got me thinking about hitting some of the local club DH races. I've always been the guy who you pass going up the hills but seems to fly past you on the way down but I'm probably kidding myself big time if I think I can keep up with the teenagers. So my question is, does anyone over the age of 30 ride dh or is it just for the tattoo'd and pierced crowd?

Cheers

Heath.

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm a youngster, but there are a heap of geriatrics like you racing and riding dh! just have a look at the number of people racing in the vets classes!!

aidz44

Likes Dirt
i might not (read: definitely not) be the oldest / wisest person around. Hell my closest competition is with people 30 years my senior, and i still get beat.

But i honestly don't give a shit if i'm not up to par with the "tattoo'd and pierced crowd?" but i get a kick out of riding a bike down a hill.
and if you get ANY enjoyment from doing just that, then it IS for you

Hugor

Likes Dirt
my question is, does anyone over the age of 30 ride dh or is it just for the tattoo'd and pierced crowd?
I've been amazed at the number of vets in the welcome thread who ride DH .
Like you I always assumed in was a young gun sport.

spyderman_au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
DH is definitely not just for young ones. There are heaps old old blokes riding. Just check out the state series and the local club rounds, you will find older riders everywhere.

I am turning 42 and still getting faster.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Only started riding about 5 years ago, I was about 30, and it was a quick migration from commute/ riding bike trails around melbourne to hitting the local xc trails on my ht, buying a duallie xc bike, riding more and more aggressively and eventually getting a dh rig and never looking back. Been riding dh 90% of the time for past 3 years and just getting more and more obsessed with it. The way i see it, you only get faster (relatively) as your senses get slower!! OR it keeps you young. Get out there and thrash your mate's bike!! He'll end up with another dh riding buddy(you)!

FINX74

Likes Dirt
Dh

I am 36 and just started riding and racing DH this year - none of my mates ride DH so I just put myself out there got involved with the closest club and they have been very welcoming and I think this year they have around 20+ vets so yep there are more and more guys our age joining the sport and moving on from higher grades and still riding/competing in DH. After the last race on Sunday - I was on such a high that it was Thursday before I knew it........It's highly addictive and I would reccommend it to anyone.

retro racer

Likes Dirt
Hell no! Its for old fools like us to get out there and enjoy and scare the shit out our selves.:D My first DH race will be the NSW titles and i have taken some old school bmx mates with me to bolster the vet/master class. We are under no illusion of being state winners, its to get out there and meet some old and young dudes and enjoy the bikes and sport. Besides that, i can still whip one of my sons!:cool::cool: and iam 46.

I started racing DH back, in 1994 when I was 33, and even then there were heaps of old farts racing.

I've just started racing again this year, I'm now 49 and it is still as much fun now as it was back last century.

I ride with my 15 year old son and his mates and they leave me for dead, but that's ok with me someone has to come last!

Cheers Brett

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
You'll actually be surprised how many riders there are over that magic 30 mark. OP, take that bike out for blast, you wont regret it.

Calvin M

Likes Dirt
Theres a shit load of vets and masters in the vic races even 3 super masters at the state champs. Probaley half a dozen 30+ riders in elite pushing the young ones. Also half a dozen in expert too.

This is some inspiring stuff guys!

I'll be hitting the big 4 oh this year so it's good to hear that it's not just me out there and getting acused of going through a mid life crisis. Thanks for all your responses and hopefully I can get out to few local corc dh races soon.

.:ROBBO:.

Likes Dirt
I bought my first bike since I was 17 at the age of 35. Giant Alias. Just to ride around with a couple of younger mates (23-24 at the time) one hadn't ridden a bike since he was 17 the other had basicaly never ridden a bike at all. We started out riding light XC around Daisy hill here in Brisbane. Less than a month later I bought a Scott Ransom. 6 weeks after that we rode the 12hr night Dusk Till Dawn then another 24hr race shortly after. Im now 37 and have been riding DH for around 9 months after buying a Specialized Demo 9. I don't ride seriously at all and have no intrest in winning. I still haven't done my first race but its not far off. Im yet to find something that I haven't been able to ride after a little encouragment from the younger guys. 30ft gaps are a no brainer and so far ive hit every drop Ive found. Im not the fastest but Im faster than both my mates and thats all that counts :D

I love it. Ive been at the top(aus champion) of my previously chosen motor sport and Im way more hooked on DH than I ever was in Rockcrawling or 4wd motorsport. But this time Im in it to have fun. Ive done a few open days and ride regularly with a lot of faster young guys and im yet to find a single person in this sport with the wrong attitude or an attitude towards new rider or old riders.

Just get out there and ride.

Cypher

Likes Dirt
I bought my first bike since I was 17 at the age of 35.
Hmmm. Can't quite figure out if you were 17 when you bought your first bike, or 35.

Yes, there are plenty of older guys at the DH races - I'd like to say mature guys, but that is down to interpretation ;)

But it is prettly lonely if you are a woman downhiller (30+ or not). Last race I was at I was the only female competitor. The race before that one other woman turned up.

So please encourage your girlfriends, wives, daughters to give it a go.

You see plenty of fathers with their sons. Why not fathers with their daughters? Or even better mums with their daughters at the DH race?

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
Hmmm. Can't quite figure out if you were 17 when you bought your first bike, or 35.

Yes, there are plenty of older guys at the DH races - I'd like to say mature guys, but that is down to interpretation ;)

But it is prettly lonely if you are a woman downhiller (30+ or not). Last race I was at I was the only female competitor. The race before that one other woman turned up.

So please encourage your girlfriends, wives, daughters to give it a go.

You see plenty of fathers with their sons. Why not fathers with their daughters? Or even better mums with their daughters at the DH race?
I don't race DH but my missus only started coming to races regularly(enduro's) when she discovered there was lots of blokes in lycra (as long as it's not white 'cos white lycra should be banned), so maybe you DH boys may need to think about that??:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Mind you she still won't ride.:(
Oh and when you mature your allowed to do whatever you like (as long as your allowed), so kapitaal, hit the hill I say.

Last edited:

rone

Eats Squid
This is some inspiring stuff guys!

I'll be hitting the big 4 oh this year so it's good to hear that it's not just me out there and getting acused of going through a mid life crisis. Thanks for all your responses and hopefully I can get out to few local corc dh races soon.
DO IT!!! It would be a shame if you didn't and then wonder "what if?" further down the track (metaphorically). It'll make you a better rider all round, and it's a core part of your XC training.:)

Just though - even if it is a mid-life crisis of some sort it's cheaper that a Porsche.

Last edited:
I managed to get out and ride the Stromlo dh and 4X tracks yesterday and had a great time. I was bedding in some new wheels I built last week so I had an excuse not to go huge. I'm blown away by some of the gaps and drops that you guys ride - think I'll be a b-line bandit for a while yet.

So how do you build up to clearing huge gaps? There aren't that many places to gain confidence or does anyone know anywhere in Canberra to build up skills?

Cypher - I have 2 girls (3 and 6) and they're both super keen riders so the future looks good for the girls out there.