Is DH only for the younguns?

mike the hippy

Cannon Fodder
nice to see a thread like this
very inspiring!

ive just entered masters 2 grade , been riding dh for about 15 years , still loving it .
If there is one rule of thumb id go for , its if you dont use it you will loose it.
That applies to fitness, cooridation and attidude.
one of the best things that keeps me going is training younger riders , there is definatly a two way street of inspiration going on.

Oh the best thing ive found latly - powerball - feel so much more stable on the handel bars in those rough sections. used to think i was just getting old loosing hands off bars and being unko.

ah well have fun guys ,plenty of years left in us yet

Bermshot

Banned
I read this thread front to back the other night and i got all the info I needed, been trolling the For Sale and fleabay, jeez there are some bargains....O'l school V 1,0's for two hungee. Like I care, see yous on the drop offs...\

Golf Pro

Likes Dirt
Ive got the bug.
Last week I took a really bad spill at Mt Tambourine and hit a tree and fell down a gully while riding with a fellow member here and it really shook me up alot. I laid there for about 10 min on the ground hugging that tree thinking how much could I get for my Team DH.Quickly changed my mind after a few good runs.
Im 47 and raced motorcross my passed life and BMX, I really love DH and although new to it, living on the gold coast with lots of tracks local to me I feel that with lots of practice I will only get better and faster.
The biggest problem is with age comes soft bones LOL.
Any members of the old farts club that lives on the gold coast that wants to catch up with another old fart for a ride give me a PM.
My old mans bike picture below
Regards
Addam

Attachments

Last edited:

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
I don't believe in getting old... Getting lazy to pedal, yes... I just bruised my arm at work today and, gah... I'll get over it :p

BTW: Schweet ride, Golf Pro :D

Whitie

Likes Dirt
old .... nah

We fell into Mountain Biking about two years ago. Our eldest son wanted to buy a Mountain bike and we walked out of the shop with 3.... unfortunately (or not) he decided he likes DH better than XC.

So his younger brother started DH on his 20inch. Dad got sick of following them down on his XC bike so got an old P3 and found it much more enjoyable. Last count there's 12 bikes(varying vintage and styles) in the shed with 4 DH bikes as we now all do it as a sport together(I have heard the comment from one young boy that his mum battles to walk in heels - there's no way she'd ride a bike on the trails!!!). The 2 boys and dad race the Vic DH series together(dad's bet the elder one) and I just ride socially with them.

But hubbies major injuries have come from stupid things - rolling down a drop on his XC bike = torn ligaments in shoulder. And the best one - practicing cornering with son no 1 on their DH bikes and falling off = prolapsed disc and a impending visit to a neuro surgeon (not for a head check but I may request that because he still doesn't think he's 44:)). And to think it was all because the footpath was slippery!!!!!:D

Get out there and enjoy (PS hubby now loves lycra):cool:

jill

Likes Bikes
Whitie

I am reading you correctly - Mum and Dad and the 2 boys all doing DH? Good on you!!!:D

I'll be 50 later this year and I love my DH. I'm not fast but I have fun! I do wish more women would give it a go...:confused:

Whitie

Likes Dirt
Whitie

I am reading you correctly - Mum and Dad and the 2 boys all doing DH? Good on you!!!:D
Yep... that's right all four of us ride DH and XC. Though I might scream a little bit more when attempting something for the first time, or get off and walk it, but I'm out there with them:)

Bikes 13 and 14 are due any day now. Since no 10 suffered a "stress fracture" from No 1 son "Pinning it hard" well that his excuse for causing the chain to constantly fall off and causing a flat on our shared bike:)

Red Peekay

Likes Dirt
I ride with my 15 year old son and his mates and they leave me for dead, but that's ok with me someone has to come last! Cheers Brett
Agree Brett:

We can't all be heroes, because somebody has to sit on the curb and applaud when they go by. Will Rogers
DHing is fun as a vet....... until you fall off!! Don't seem to bounce like I used to!! So I don't mind watching and laughing......:D

Everything is funny, as long as it's happening to somebody else. Will Rogers

anth69

Likes Dirt
dad and his boys

41 y/o + two sons 8 & 9 y/o all racing VDHS ... awesome family sport ! where else can you get in the thick of the action and coach your boys along... hear them laugh ( and hear them cry:( ) we also hit knox bmx track for club meets as well ... im lucky to have engineering skills , we picked up some cheap hardtails , the boys and i chopped them up and rejigged them with DH spec dimensions and lower seats , the boys helped with filing and drilling .. Dad did the cutting and welding , we done it mainly as a project to enjoy together and it turned out cost effective and they have trick custom bikes... full suspension in the works right now :cool:

I'm 53, and in the best shape of my life. Went back to the gym 2 years ago. I follow a trainer, low key, called Mark ottobre. He's in Melbourne, and quite the enthusiast.
I'm hoping to get into DH soon.
My tattoos and piercings are better than theirs anyway.:cool:

rogerd

Cannon Fodder
where were you all

i have just returned from Adelaide for the national titles with my 15 year old son and raced in the super masters 50+ class in the downhill, i was really disappointed with the turnout, where were you all?. 3 of us entered and i finished 2nd, yes it was a difficult sketchy track, challenging, but enjoyable and rewarding just the same. would love to see more of you out there next time there is an event. (shepparton is on in 2 weeks time!)

You are what you think!

I'm not normally one to usually comment on such threads as you can see with my join date. However to find a thread devoted to Vets intrigued me to take a look. DH is obviously alive and well out there in the not so young community, an its great to see. I'm one of the lucky ones who has achieved quite highly in the sport mainly due to the time I have put in. So to all of you struggling with injury or ability, trust me it gets easier. The more you ride, the more you think about riding, the faster you get with less injuries and hence the more enjoyment you will receive. My philosophy for riding is "the cream eventually rises to the top", another words "if you hang around long enough you eventually become good enough to stand on the podium because everyone else has retired".

C.H.B

Likes Dirt
being an old downhiller is fine but its a bugger when your always drinking from your colostomy bag and pissing in your hydration pack:(;)

unitec

Likes Dirt
being an old downhiller is fine but its a bugger when your always drinking from your colostomy bag and pissing in your hydration pack:(;)
It's only when you can't tell the difference that it's time to give it away.

COGO46

Likes Bikes
Im 31 , an ex motorcrosser , just starting to get into DH with my 23 year old mate im loving and glad to see its not just for the young , really im still young at heart must be at least 17 at heart lol

higgin_d

Likes Dirt
Haha.... Just bought my first Down Hiller and heading down thredbo and i'm 37. In saying that, i guess i'm probably going to put myself in the volvo with the bowlers hat on the parcel tray as far as speed.... we'll see. I jumped on You tube the other day and was watching all the Head Cams.... got me Psyked

raso

Likes Bikes
I bought my first DH bike at 35 and my second one at 39. I think you just have to be mindful of how your body feels and make sure you look after it.If you look after it you should be able to ride to a ripe old age hopefully, I intend to. Just started landing flips regularly in a foam pit too and Im just about to turn 41:cool:

CresoDH

Likes Dirt
just do it

Iam 35 & have been riding a few years now age means nothing sure the youngins are fast but so are some older guys its all about gettin out & havin a go & some fun