Is DH only for the younguns?

Norco Maniac

Is back!
fast approaching 49 now and have graduated to racing not one but *three* classes in bmx. i may be slow, but i'm out there. i commute/shop on a 29er rigid with a trailer - now to get my hardtail back together again and actually do more than mess about on the trails and bmx tracks with it. would i tackle a big drop? probably not, but that's more to do with my lack of skill than my age or fitness. and skill can be learned :high5:

4dabush

Likes Dirt
Not a patch on T.O.M. And sorry about the quality but this is me mid 40's chasing a much faster mid 20's rider down Kuranda...tracks much different at the moment...number of those lines were lost with power line maintenance, including the creek gap in the first minute or so...I did work up to the big gap...it was actually easier than the middle...
https://vimeo.com/35002762

dunndog

Eats Squid
Thought I'd chime in...

Not continuing on with current discussion entirely, I've been out of DH for 4-5 years.
Used to race elite, had no fear etc. crashed my brains out and wound up with a heap of metal work in my leg. Anyway, turned 30 a few a months ago and just built up a new DH bike and I'm preparing to race this coming season - in vets! Woo!

Carry on....
haha 30... Vets... Fuck another one!! Glad ill be hitting masters in a couple of years! Are you in vic ajay? Good work on getting back on the dh rig mate!

Husky360

Likes Bikes
Dh for all.

Once you turn thirty, life can get a bit tame once kids and other things come along.

Im 32 and just started to race dh this year for the first time.
I raced the last NSW state round in the vets class and still beat the expert division by 2 seconds on a borrowed bike.
Get out there and have fun.

peppermintjones

Cannon Fodder
This thread has been really inspiring. Just got back into a bit of XC and having heaps of fun after a long break and been thinking more and more about getting a dh bike, I kind of thought I was getting a bit old for it (I'm 47) just decided f#%k it I'm getting one. It's great to hear that I'm not going through some midlife crisis and trying to rekindle my youth (well maybe a little bit)

4dabush

Likes Dirt
This thread has been really inspiring. Just got back into a bit of XC and having heaps of fun after a long break and been thinking more and more about getting a dh bike, I kind of thought I was getting a bit old for it (I'm 47) just decided f#%k it I'm getting one. It's great to hear that I'm not going through some midlife crisis and trying to rekindle my youth (well maybe a little bit)
Awesome, just find some riding buddies and take it easy learning the DH ropes...we 'masters' don't bounce so well and the recovery from the inevitable off takes longer. Find a good sports masseuse...they help put things back and make them better...have fun!!!

mjs181

Squid
Never ever too old!!! I've ridden the fastest I've ever ridden over the past couple of years, now 35yrs young.

Only lesson I've learned is my mindset is still the same of a teenager but instead of crash hit roll spin dust off and keep going, its crash hit splat broken bone.... :crazy:

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I just stumbled across this area of the forum (I'm still new here)... hitting 31 in February and I am just starting a DH build from scratch as a kind of hobby project.

All while thinking, "Maybe I'm getting a bit old" after coming off my Trance the other week when some plastic fencing blew up in the wind and caught my handlebar, slamming into the ground right on my elbow and knee and being really sore and unable to move as normal for about a week and a half... on top of the usual aches and pains I started getting a couple years ago in my lower back and knees.

I love riding down hills/downward trails on my Trance, even if it's not really built for it and has pretty steep geo... hence the beginning of the DH build.
Good to see I won't be too old by the time it's complete to have some fun... haha.

As mjs mentioned above... same mindset as my younger years, only when you come off... it hurts more, and you have a longer recovery.

Back when I was riding BMX in my teens it was crash, roll, get up, laugh, dust off... get back on and go.
Not anymore. :p

Last edited:

Descente

Cannon Fodder
I'm going to get into downhill as soon as I can get enough money to purchase a DH rig....I don't bounce like I once use to, when I taste terra firma....I just more go splat...still I'm not fazed an will still give it a crack.

creole

Likes Bikes
im clocking 35 and just discovered XC/AM eariler this year. Loving the fitness and challenge of it all. We hit up the Youies not long ago and that place is fantastic , so now comes the part where i try to convince the wife that i need a $4K DH bike for 'safety' reasons. hahaah

grimrepa

Likes Bikes
I'm 42 going on 43 and doing my best DH and Freeride ever, I got a bit off track with other sports (and Work) for the last 5 years but just changed bikes from a more All Mountain to a full DH rig, really enjoying it!

sawnoff666

Likes Dirt
Man, you guys are old, you can barely ride in a straight line. Still awesome though.

DH must be for young guns because I'm only 39 and thats still young isn't it. I started riding DH about 31 or 32 when I went to buy a helmet at TBSM. Saw a Norco Atomic on sale. Went home and convinced myself I needed it and bought it the next day and been pushing myself ever since. Just get out and have a go.

Here's a few clips of me riding. I hope I've got a few good years left in me. This is just to much fun.

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?269388-First-clip-with-my-new-GoPro

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?267526-Self-Filmed-Left-Track-Warrimoo-St-Ives

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?253923-Self-Filmed-Warrimoo

Koper25

Likes Dirt
Man, you guys are old, you can barely ride in a straight line. Still awesome though.

DH must be for young guns because I'm only 39 and thats still young isn't it. I started riding DH about 31 or 32 when I went to buy a helmet at TBSM. Saw a Norco Atomic on sale. Went home and convinced myself I needed it and bought it the next day and been pushing myself ever since. Just get out and have a go.

Here's a few clips of me riding. I hope I've got a few good years left in me. This is just to much fun.

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?269388-First-clip-with-my-new-GoPro

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?267526-Self-Filmed-Left-Track-Warrimoo-St-Ives

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?253923-Self-Filmed-Warrimoo
Just watched all these videos. I had my first VDHS race this weekend and after seeing some of the U15's and U19's kill it, I felt like I got into DH a bit late (22). But this made me realise that I'm so totally wrong. Love your work guys awesome riding/editing.

daddydownhill

Cannon Fodder
Turning 38 soon.

Single parent - and i'll call it an early life crisis.
Have only just started Downhill borrowing friends bikes, have become addicted for sure.
Someone mentioned tattoo's and piercings with the young blokes.... Im 37 with tattoo's and Piercings and pretty sure its not gonna help me ride any better.

So far every young rider i have come across has been keen to give me advise and tips.....
Looking forward to getting right into it.... purchasing bike within the next month.....

Cheers
Adam

I just turned 42, and I have just upgraded my Intense Uzzi to a M9, and love riding the big bikes more than ever.
The only problem is we don't bounce like we used to, crash and you're out for weeks not days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Postal

Likes Bikes
I've done a bit of bike riding but only getting back into it now (currently 30). I am going to be looking for something more geared towards DH/FR however I am hoping my age (cautiousness) will slow me down just enough to avoid some nasty injuries. Down side will be when I do inevitably get injured it will take longer to heal. Either way I'm looking forward to getting back into it and becoming fitter and more active.

frank_n

Likes Dirt
Well..... I hung up my DH racing booties at 54yrs. I still miss the adrenalin rush and the bike is in the shed but it might be time to sell it. Got on to the Gravity Enduro thing and longer riding. It's pretty good. But, there is something special about DH , mud, car/van/trailer rides, FF helmets & goggles. You either get it or you don't.

Last edited:

cameronpatrol

Likes Bikes
I've just recently started DH in the last two months roughly
I'd been mucking around with a hard tail for good 6 months before the DH rig
Was trying to do so,eh adventure races and still will keeping the hard tail
But damn DH is sick haha I'm 30 and feel a bit old but love it
I'm riding with a mate who's I think 23 or 24.
We push each other pretty hard for some newbys
Both started DH at the same time
We've done long gully spring event and just did the maldon shuttle day the other week
Picked up a pressure suit this weeks 2nd hand on flea bay
Having family and kids I thought I'd better cotton wool right up.
Spoke to some young fellas on the shuttles and they have been great, very helpful and friendly.
Pretty much everyone we have seen and spoken to have been pretty cool.
Looking forward to the comin events and ride days.
Cheers cam