Is DH only for the younguns?

Norco Maniac

Is back!
At 32 I think I'm going towards the age where you start thinking about doing this sort of strange stuff. Now I've tried hurbling down the hill already, I've brought myself a bmx too, I wonder what's next?

i got on a BMX for the first time at 40 and won my first State plate nine months later. a nasty divorce, ovarian surgery and a brain injury later, i'm halfway across the country racing again :p

two guys from my LBS are around the 40 mark, after joint reconstruction, and still riding DH. as is another acquaintance from a LBS, who is fast approaching 50 and riding at a high level.

speaking of marathons, a client of mine was 50 and recovering from stomach cancer and surgery when she took up marathon running to put her sense of self back together :D she, and another client who was 80 and still rowing surf lifesaving boats, are the kind of people i look up to :D

dogboy*

Squid
56 this year(kak!) and my new years resolution was to do ONE DH race....my eldest son has been into dh for a couple of years, so borrowed his younger brothers mini dh and gave it a bash at a CORC round - must have been 70+ riders and I had the slowest time of the day (memo - get son out of bed early enough to make practice as they change the course for the weekend) - but what a blast....did the second round and second slowest time of the day....so, only another 70 odd races and I'm on the podium! Seriously - once you get over the nerves (and the push up hill) fantastic fun, great bunch of guys - just need to work on drops and gaps - can't do them yet - must be the old age factor.

wookie38

Cannon Fodder
56 this year(kak!) and my new years resolution was to do ONE DH race....my eldest son has been into dh for a couple of years, so borrowed his younger brothers mini dh and gave it a bash at a CORC round - must have been 70+ riders and I had the slowest time of the day (memo - get son out of bed early enough to make practice as they change the course for the weekend) - but what a blast....did the second round and second slowest time of the day....so, only another 70 odd races and I'm on the podium! Seriously - once you get over the nerves (and the push up hill) fantastic fun, great bunch of guys - just need to work on drops and gaps - can't do them yet - must be the old age factor.
AWESOME :thumb::thumb:

Machine

Likes Bikes
My wife rode with a lady name Ursula from Jindy a few weeks ago and i think she is about 67 young and still does DH at Thredbo.

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
35 and just did my first race...

I only just did my first race event a couple weeks ago and I got 4th of 5 riders in the oldies class. Position didn't matter - and probably wont really ever matter to be honest - because the whole weekend was AWESOME! Totally rained out, covered in mud and loved it!

Just get out there and smash some trails - who cares how fast you are, so long as you're enjoying it!

Ganey

Cannon Fodder
There's no age limit bro, I'm 33 and race Dh.
Just get out there and and you will find there are
Lots of older guys who Rock up to races just to have
A great time.

Got my dh bike last week and hoping to get to Ourimbah this weekend. Cant wait but $@*%ing myself at the same time.
Ourimba is the perfect place to start DH i think.
Not any real big jumps and reasonably smooth. Compared with Threadbo and Canberra anyway!!

I'm just starting DH at age 30 and found the best advice is to wear as much protective gear as physically possible. Gives me bigger balls anyway!!

davros

Squid
Dh for oldies

I took up downhilling at 43 and racing DH at 45 (48) now and its the best thing ive ever done. It is great fun, very challenging, but the really cool thing is looking at a run with a 13 year old and the age gap is imaterial, as long as you have a go everyone will accept you

Kram

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Last week at a semi formal dinner party, things started to digress at a rapid rate after the 12th bottle of wine was emptied. Before we knew what was going on, the ladies where yelling 'shirts off' and all 6 guys were to compete in a push up competition on the island in the kitchen. Ages ranged from 30-72 (only 1 guy over 42). All of us are quite fit, and 4 of them are regulars at the gym with 6 packs and stacked pecs (not me). I fully expected to get my ass kicked, but I could not believe it when the muscular guys in their 30's and everyone else there got their asses handed to them by the 72 year supposedly old man.

If you ever think age matters, try going head to head with this guy. He just started mountain biking at age 69 and races the weekly XC races in Whistler. He would probably kick your ass on a road bike and he would definitely kick your ass on skis. And I dare say he'd kick your ass in a push up competition.

I sat on the chairlift last year with an 83 year old man. He was a funny old dude and I assumed he was probably ok at skiing but didn't know what I was about to see. I hiked up a hill after getting off the lift, headed across the mountain into a zone not accessible without hiking and started skiing deep powder with trees and big boulders. While I stopped for a rest, the 83 year old man went tearing past me, roosting snow and bouncing off powdery boulders before disappearing in the trees. Kinda makes the idea of retiring at 65 not seem so bad if you can shred your brains out for a couple more decades without working another day in your life. Inspiration for sure.

Rowey

Likes Bikes
Kram, Doug didn't beat all you guys did he. If so, it must be all the Gran Fondo's he does from Van to Whistler. Maybe it's time to get a roadie.
Cheers.

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ourimba is the perfect place to start DH i think.
Not any real big jumps and reasonably smooth. Compared with Threadbo and Canberra anyway!!

I'm just starting DH at age 30 and found the best advice is to wear as much protective gear as physically possible. Gives me bigger balls anyway!!
When was the last time you were at Ourimbah??

There is a couple of massive jumps there! It used to be a beginer friendly track to learn on but not any more!

ongwooijin

Likes Bikes
Cant believe Im posting a thread in the vets category. Am 31 going on 32 soon. Starting DH-ing 6 months ago. Had 3 bad crashes. I am reasonably padded up. Fullface, goggles, elbows, shin, knees and wrist brace.
Injuries do take longer to heal. I would say I am currently a below average skilled DH rider but a above average XC/trail rider (been riding trail for much longer).
Used to be really scared of doubles but have progressed beyond that point. Now, its the smaller ramps that scare me more...the ones that require speed to get enough distance to land on the downslope.
Currently just soaking in the new hobby. Bought myself a used DH bike. Meeting and chatting with new riders nearly every other week. Enjoying it!
DH riding has boosted my trail riding confidence....by lots.
Only shame is that I am a vet now...

dunndog

Eats Squid
That's the ticket fellas! Sick riding and cold brews. we will remember the brewskis next time YKYMF... Justin, what an awesome way to end a clip!

Last edited:

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Thought I'd chime in...

Not continuing on with current discussion entirely, I've been out of DH for 4-5 years.
Used to race elite, had no fear etc. crashed my brains out and wound up with a heap of metal work in my leg. Anyway, turned 30 a few a months ago and just built up a new DH bike and I'm preparing to race this coming season - in vets! Woo!

Carry on....