Is it a cheater switch and do you use it?

Scotty T

Walks the walk
It's always amusing watching the PB guys argue over the "cheater switch" and the bike prices and tech thread got me thinking about this suspension issue.

Coming from 2003 coil Pro-Pedal to the 2015 air 3 position switch was really cool at first, yet also had me scratching my head because Pro-Pedal was a bit like an auto switch. But after I went down a couple of downhills forgetting to flick the switch I ended up leaving it in the middle Trail position.

Going to the Bronson I flicked it once for a climb, forgot to flick it back for the down, and decided then that it will never leave the downhill position, and so it has been for the past several months.

I actually thought I might use it more on the Bronson because it was easier to reach, but I'm totally convinced they are a complete waste of time now, the climbing gains are slight/non existent for me, and on some of the techy stuff I stay seated and use the plushness so I feel in those cases it's an advantage to leave it open up hills.

Do you flick the switch? Is it really worth it?

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm a strong believer in leaving it open. In reality, it probably only matters on long smooth road climbs and matters even less now, with the larger gear range and ability to spin up climbs.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I use it, I notice the change in suspension activity on my Monarch for sure. Fully open on a bumpy downhill trail with slower rebound is awesome, the middle setting is plush enough for smoother gravity trail with jumps and berms and the firm setting takes some bob out of my uphill pedals. I'd like it to be a near full lockout though, I think the difference in feel between the firm setting and the middle needs to be more though, needs to be firmer.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I use it, I notice the change in suspension activity on my Monarch for sure. Fully open on a bumpy downhill trail with slower rebound is awesome, the middle setting is plush enough for smoother gravity trail with jumps and berms and the firm setting takes some bob out of my uphill pedals. I'd like it to be a near full lockout though, I think the difference in feel between the firm setting and the middle needs to be more though, needs to be firmer.
I have twin lock on my Scott and it's fucking awesome. It's a bit more than just a "climb" switch though

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use it. Dont find it hard to access and it does make it easier on my legs than leaving it full open.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I'd like it to be a near full lockout though, I think the difference in feel between the firm setting and the middle needs to be more though, needs to be firmer.
Yeah the Fox I had (which had the Penske racing damping thing) was a lot closer to lockout than the Monarch, but the Penske thing allowed it to do a similar thing to pro-pedal when it was in lock out and activate at speed.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I don't use it on the dually (DW Link), but on my hardtail the fork has a switch to drop from 100 to 80mm on the climbs.

I quite like it, but it has a handle bar remote. Don't think I'd reach down to the crown to use it anywhere near as often.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I personally prefer shocks with good lsc adjustment that I can set and forget. Ie Vivd, X2 and even the Topaz.

Conversely I hate the three position shocks that don't allow fine adjustment of low speed compression. Monarch Plus and Float X I'm looking at you!

Where I have good lsc and a climb switch like the X2 and CCDBA, I only really bother on smooth climbs like road and even then if the lsc is setup right the gains are only marginal.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I have never flicked a switch on my propedal shock.

I personally can't be bothered with any on the fly adjustments and long slow climbs where you sit back in a lowish gear and pedal are fine without too much bob IMHO.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I only lock it out on road climbs to the top of the trail, otherwise it's open.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Same shock, same opinion as above.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I use mine a fair bit ( fox float X, can creak dbair & CTD )and if I had the room on the bars I would have ran a remote but luckily all my switches are easy to reach bar one bike, the AOS model GT force.

Most of the older shocks like the CTD and RP23 had crappy climb circuits and they were more suited to someone that weighed between 40 to 60kg. I usually get them retuned by NSD to have a very firm climb circuit and it makes a big difference when you're climbing. If you get an extra firm tune done it's almost like you're on a hard tail and then you get to the top and put the shock straight to 'open' and descend.

danncam

Likes Dirt
I flick to climb mode on my norco fluid for climbs, it gives me a little more saddle height (I don't have a dropper; and yes I know I "need" one) as it firms up the suspension and reduces the sag.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Where I have good lsc and a climb switch like the X2 and CCDBA, I only really bother on smooth climbs like road and even then if the lsc is setup right the gains are only marginal.
Yeah I'm finding the low speed stuff is quite OK with my pressure set a tad higher now I have the roller bearing in the shock.

Definitely sitting in the marginal difference couldn't be arsed adjusting bike on the fly camp tho :D

All that extra shit on the bars would confuse me, still struggling with the dropper lever being where my front derailleur used to be.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I personally prefer shocks with good lsc adjustment that I can set and forget. Ie Vivd, X2 and even the Topaz.

Conversely I hate the three position shocks that don't allow fine adjustment of low speed compression. Monarch Plus and Float X I'm looking at you!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
I thought you didn't climb anyway.... ;)

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I never use it unless I'm climbing a long fireroad. Why buy a dualie and not reap all the benefits of extra climbing traction on uneven terrain?
I'm so convinced of the traction benefits that I feel hard tails are something of a novelty item for everyday trail riding.