Is it a cheater switch and do you use it?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Kind of - explained here:

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/the-ultimate-guide-to-mountain-bike-rear-suspension-systems/

Some, such as Santa Cruz’s VPP system, use links that counter-rotate (turn in opposite directions), while many others, such as Giant’s Maestro system, have links that co-rotate (turn in the same direction).

As we’ll see later, the way the centre of curvature migrates as the bike moves through its travel is quite different for each configuration. In fact, twin-link or horst-link bikes with co-rotating links often exhibit anti-squat behavior that’s very similar to a single-pivot bike. While counter-rotating links can produce an anti-squat profile which peaks in the middle of the travel, which may be desirable in terms of balancing pedal efficiency against pedal kickback. This distinction between counter-rotating and co-rotating links is more important in terms of suspension kinematics than the arbitrary distinction between Horst-link and twin-link designs.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Clearly set up absolutely shit with a fucked shock.
You can hate on, I know how my shock is working under hard pedalling.
I'm not hating on any bike, trying to explain to you that they still rely on the shock for a decent pedal platform just like the Scotts with the twin lock.

moorey

call me Mia
I'm not hating on any bike, trying to explain to you that they still rely on the shock for a decent pedal platform just like the Scotts with the twin lock.
Yet you mentioned nothing about that when posting the vid.
I’ve only said that MY shock is tuned to MY frame and weight...and has virtually zero bob without having a climb switch...but you know my bike better than me, I guess.

Petero

Likes Dirt
MY shock is tuned to MY frame and weight...
This.

The variables are endless. The shock type, the shock setup, the rider (weight, power, pedaling style), frame geo and finally suspension design.

No any one person can say that a bike has no pedal bob until they have explored all the variables on that bike, it may work for them specifically but change any of the above and it's likely a different story.

That said there are certainly suspension kinematics and designs that work well enough for imperceptible pedal bob under the right circumstances.

Flow-Rider

Burner
This.

The variables are endless. The shock type, the shock setup, the rider (weight, power, pedaling style), frame geo and finally suspension design.

No any one person can say that a bike has no pedal bob until they have explored all the variables on that bike, it may work for them specifically but change any of the above and it's likely a different story.

That said there are certainly suspension kinematics and designs that work well enough for imperceptible pedal bob under the right circumstances.
I agree the variables are endless, but some of these blokes are talking about riding up hills in open shock mode, which I assume 'open' is high speed shaft control circuit on the rear shock. Not saying it can't be done but I don't see it as being practical

Why would you tune a high speed shaft circuit on a shock to prevent pedal bob for climbing, you would have optimised the use of other circuits on the shock to get the full advantage out of it first, the CCDB that moorey thinks is in open, is really not in constant open circuit, it's in an equivalent trail mode and switches via internal valving from low to high speed control valve circuits.

Last edited:

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I agree the variables are endless, but some of these blokes are talking about riding up hills in open shock mode, which I assume 'open' is high speed shaft control circuit on the rear shock. Not saying it can't be done but I don't see it as being practical

Why would you tune a high speed shaft circuit on a shock to prevent pedal bob for climbing, you would have optimised the use of other circuits on the shock to get the full advantage out of it first, the CCDB that moorey thinks is in open, is really not in constant open circuit, it's in an equivalent trail mode and switches via internal valving from low to high speed control valve circuits.
I'm sold on my Scott twin lock. Just saying :p

Flow-Rider

Burner
I'm sold on my Scott twin lock. Just saying :p
People are making insulting remarks towards the suspension design when it's obvious they've never even ridden the bike. Two blokes that I ride with have owned many models of them for the last 15 years and I know they work well for what they were intended for.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Wait...are we talking about you and DW now?
WTF are you on about ? I never said anyone's bike suspension was shit and never called anyone's pride and joy a POS either and whether you want to misinterpret what I said into something else that's your problem not mine.

Because it rides like shit if you don't lock it out.

"Our bike is amazing when you throw the handlebar switch and lock shit out!".
What POS bike?

I always ride up like a snail, but make hard work of it. Never touch the dials personally. NSD tune to a spitty with 75kg rider, and it stays tuned that way.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
People are making insulting remarks towards the suspension design when it's obvious they've never even ridden the bike. Two blokes that I ride with have owned many models of them for the last 15 years and I know they work well for what they were intended for.
I'm not sure if you are agreeing with my opinion that a cheater switch is great, and if you have it use it... or not?