Is it as big as it seems?

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes, Pushys Canberra. Didn't know they had demos and the guy didn't offer. Will ask next time I'm there.
Hunt around for demos, you can try a few different bikes in real conditions. And some shops will deduct what you spent on demo hires from the price of a bike you buy from them. Or just use it to help you choose

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Yes, Pushys Canberra. Didn't know they had demos and the guy didn't offer. Will ask next time I'm there.
These guys too:

Definitely worth taking one out and getting a feel for it. Mountain bikes can feel a bit squishy and lifeless in a carpark, on some nice single track it's very different.

As mentioned above, the tyres have more grip than you'd expect, so lean that bike over in the turns.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
If you can afford the Trance, buy it, you’ll love it. But if you do decide to get a hardtail, don’t buy a 71HA XC bike, get something a little slacker. That way, you’ll be able to ride the same knarly trails that you could on the Trance.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
If you can afford the Trance, buy it, you’ll love it. But if you do decide to get a hardtail, don’t buy a 71HA XC bike, get something a little slacker. That way, you’ll be able to ride the same knarly trails that you could on the Trance.
These look good...

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Scotty T

Walks the walk
If you watch Josh Bender do a drop or two, you will see how easy it is.
5 to 10 metre jumps are easy, I run through them in my mind all the time, one day I may actually try it in the real world
Easy as, the continue downhill bit is harder though.

This is nearby and you can get a ride for free :)

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Short version is yes, jumping off a roadie MTBs, even short-travel XC ones feel big. It's this funky shit called suspension, which jacks the bike up so it can get over rough stuff. Not too dissimilar to jumping out of a Ferrari and into a Land Crusher.

Geometry plays a big part too. MTBs, even little XC ones, have a longer wheelbase than road bikes, and slacker head angles, both of which slow the steering response and give a "big" feel, especially when the going is smooth. But get into some rough stuff, it helps a lot with being able to pick your way through, as it's a lot less prone to getting wrenched around than a steep, tight bike.