Is Mt Joyce any good for DH?

solokiter

Likes Bikes
Hey all,

I have been out of the riding scene in Bris for a while - however I've been keeping my eye out on this activity at Mt. Joyce.

Can anyone elaborate on the details on these tracks? Is the DH any good? Is it maintained? Any entry fees? and what is the deal with shuttles? Busy on w/ends?

I have ridden Clear Mountain, Beerburrum & Mt Tambo - I prefer smoother flowing stuff rather than hardcore hucking,

Cheers thanks

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've only ridden Mt. Joyce once and that was at state champs last year. I loved the track, not the most technical and overal not super steep apart from the very top in a couple of places, but really flowy with some nice jumps along the way. Not sure what condition it is in at the moment because it hasn't had an event there for a while apart form a shuttle day by DRCC a month or two ago but I'd assume it's in a pretty good shape. Being built by Nathan Rennie and being a spot legally approved by council I'd say the drainage features and build quality is top notch and will last.

Only reason I don't ride there more often is that you aren't allowed to shuttle there without a permit and pretty much the only time you'll get one of those is during a shuttle day/race. You're allowed to push to your hearts content but council have decided that normally, no shuttles. I think it's because you have to drive past the dam wall so there could be safety issues if people could always drive there but I'm not certain if that's the primary reason. If I lived closer I might go out every so often for some push runs but as I live on the Northside of brisbane, I'd rather stick to places that I can shuttle and are still good tracks as it's a decent drive away.