Is my 2 year old compressor ready for the tip?

stirk

Burner
I've had two compressor issues most recently I'll share in case it helps someone else down the track.

1.Compressor stopped pressurising the tank. I hadn't used the thing for a few months.
I thought maybe the reed valve was the issue so pulled the head off and it all looked good so put it back together.
Next I had a look at the check valve, the part where the air enters the tank. It all looked good, tested it's movement and put it back together. Tested it again and fark me it started to take on and hold pressure. The check valve may have been stuck enough to resist the air pressure from the pump.

2.Afer working ok for a couple of months the Compressor started only partially pressuring the tank, with air leaking from control unit. I tracked the issue to a little release valve which I believe let's air out of the control unit when you switch it off. Not sure if it's part of the regulator or cutoff switch. I broke it loose with some taps using a small Allen key, hit it with wd40 and now it's working perfectly again.

Little valve circled was the culprit.
IMG_20171101_182147-751x1335-375x667.jpg

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Yep, been down this road too.
The little valve is for unloading the excess air, after the discharge side of the comp, when the unit shuts off at set pressure.
Mine was playing up too....but it was an old compressor I got for nothing.
It's easy to break the plastic bits that hold it all together.
You can buy the whole regulator/unloader/pressure control units on fleabay for small coin....then just screw the whole thing on to the tank.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yep, been down this road too.
The little valve is for unloading the excess air, after the discharge side of the comp, when the unit shuts off at set pressure.
Mine was playing up too....but it was an old compressor I got for nothing.
It's easy to break the plastic bits that hold it all together.
You can buy the whole regulator/unloader/pressure control units on fleabay for small coin....then just screw the whole thing on to the tank.
I bought one for $30 delivered, just make sure the amperage is right.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I bought one for $30 delivered, just make sure the amperage is right.
And that the pressure line feed fitting is right. Most take a solid pipe, not Stirk's oddball/rare plastic pipe.

These nasty POS pressure switches feature on quite expensive compressors. I'd hate to see how big the factory is that makes them, seems to be one brand left.

Flow-Rider

Burner
And that the pressure line feed fitting is right. Most take a solid pipe, not Stirk's oddball/rare plastic pipe.

These nasty POS pressure switches feature on quite expensive compressors. I'd hate to see how big the factory is that makes them, seems to be one brand left.
Some of the better compressors run the Furnas brand pressure control switches. Nylon line is't too bad on compressors, copper work hardens and cracks from the vibrations and heat expansion. A lot of those cheap switches are Chinese copies.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Some of the better compressors run the Furnas brand pressure control switches. Nylon line is't too bad on compressors, copper work hardens and cracks from the vibrations and heat expansion. A lot of those cheap switches are Chinese copies.
Furnas or some other Italian switch I've forgotten the name of, seem to be on compressors over $2.5k now. Was helping a mate try and decide a month ago what to buy. I still fail to see where the dollars go, but do love my 2.8hp peerless.

hathill

Likes Dirt
That's why I asked....

Where was it going? Are we talking copious amounts or just a few drops?
From the sound of the amount of use this thing had, i would be very surprised if it needed any oil - there must have been something wrong with it from the get go.
My ancient belt drive Ingersoll Rand never uses any oil. I know these things run at fairly high speed but if they are using oil, it must be turning up in the air.....

You're right, it's a complete mystery.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Where was it going? Are we talking copious amounts or just a few drops?
From the sound of the amount of use this thing had, i would be very surprised if it needed any oil - there must have been something wrong with it from the get go.
My ancient belt drive Ingersoll Rand never uses any oil. I know these things run at fairly high speed but if they are using oil, it must be turning up in the air.....
As I said, it was really hard to tell as the oil window was impossible to read and I possibly misinterpreted the data, thus overfilling it when not necessary. There didn't appear to be oil in the tyres... Anyways, I'm far keener on a track pump with reservoir solution these days, so you will see said compressor up for grabs at $0 in the garage sale section.