is my hub just loose or is it dead?

tatewinchester

Likes Dirt
Hey rotorburners. I fitted a new tyre yesterday to my hope hoops pro 2 front And rear and upon re installing my hope rear freehub fell out of the hub shell? The little hole my skewer goes through on the drive side is loose too and wont engage when tightened with qr????

Any ideas what's wrong with my pro 2? :(

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey rotorburners. I fitted a new tyre yesterday to my hope hoops pro 2 front and rear and upon re installing my hope rear freehub fell out of the hub shell? The little hole my skewer goes through on the drive side is loose too and wont engage when tightened with qr????

Any ideas what's wrong with my pro 2? :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfBZqXMuT6U

This may help, just re-built my hope pro2 hub following this video. From what I get from your post your free-hub is not sitting in the hub?
If so make sure that pawls are sitting right in the free-hub. (Easy to tell really, just make sure they spring back when you push them down). To press the free hub into the body of the hub, just push lightly on the free-hub while turning, the pawls should compress and pop back in. Then just press the end caps in and do up the cassette. Just make sure you put the right colour end caps on the right end of the hub, otherwise the wheel will not sit correctly on the frame.

ChopSticks

Banned
Make sure you seat the black plastic free hub washer back inplace
That will solve your free hub from sliding off

edit: recall the blackcap goes on the brake side, silver on the drive side

Last edited:

ChopSticks

Banned
I've left it with LBS it shouldn't need parts should it?
depends how dodgy they are......LOL

im certain you forgot to clip the plastic washer in place..hence it sliding off
I'd give them a call first thing and see if they 'fixed' it...maybe go there and see if you can pop it back yourself

tatewinchester

Likes Dirt
depends how dodgy they are......LOL

im certain you forgot to clip the plastic washer in place..hence it sliding off
I'd give them a call first thing and see if they 'fixed' it...maybe go there and see if you can pop it back yourself
They cleaned out thick shitty grease and relubed it which solvef problem. Still sliding off but they said skewer will keep it together and will just need to replace my o-ring as the clip is worn down

marc.r

Likes Dirt
nah mate its no good. most LBS dont know hope hubs and will just pass it off as "meant to be like that it will be fine once quick release is on"

it is supposed to have a special tool like a socket that snaps the o ring back in place. search on the hope website. you can do it with a couple of screwdrivers if you are good with your hands.

if you ride it like it is you will fuck your hub up.

as it stands it is not dead or loose it just is not put back together properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdgUvv76H28

watch from about 5min on. if your mechanic is unsure take it in and show him on your phone. With the amount of people buying these on wiggle some local mechanics would do well to learn how to service these properly.

oh and btw, i thought i might have broken my hub when I did this the first time too :D

Last edited:

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
love this, every time i have a problem someone somewhere on this forum is having almost exactly the same issue. Make sure you clip the labyrinth seal (the big one at the base of the freehub) back in when your done otherwise it doesnt spin free! this was pissing me off for the past week.

great vid thanks for sharing