Is my Pike farked?

Go

Likes Dirt
Hello Rotorburners,

The rebound adjuster (red knob) seems to be stuck. It only moves about 3 clicks with the little screw that holds it in place in.
If I remove said screw it moves and unwinds to the point you can see the o ring in the outside shaft bolt but the bloody thing won't come off the fork.
Tried prying it out with a flat screw driver with no luck. I'm afraid to damage it.
Any suggestions on how to remove it?
Would like to do a damper service and hoping I won't have to buy a new damper

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Have you removed the grub screw completely?
You're on the right track with a bit of gentle prying with a flat blade drewscriver.
...use the widest one you can fit under there to spread the force & then work it around the diameter a little at a time.
A right angled hook (o-ring picks, wall hook etc) would give a better angle of attack.
Don't twist/rotate the adjuster any more than it will allow....if you break it off then it will get exponentially harder to remove.

Another thing to try is to invert the fork & spray your penetrant of choice onto the adjuster shaft & then leave for 24 hrs
....hopefully next day it will release (prolly only work if there's been a little corrosion in there though....)

Once you get it off check for burring where the grub screw lands...and smooth off with a bit of sand paper / engineers tape if needed.
And if you can, check that the interface between the hex adjuster & the damper hasn't been rounded or damaged....?

Go

Likes Dirt
Yep, grub screw removed completely. I'll give your tips a go and report back.

Cheers

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If it's only your lowers and dampers etc let me know, I have a pair of 120mm pikes with a scratched stauntion....

Go

Likes Dirt
Have you removed the grub screw completely?
You're on the right track with a bit of gentle prying with a flat blade drewscriver.
...use the widest one you can fit under there to spread the force & then work it around the diameter a little at a time.
A right angled hook (o-ring picks, wall hook etc) would give a better angle of attack.
Don't twist/rotate the adjuster any more than it will allow....if you break it off then it will get exponentially harder to remove.

Another thing to try is to invert the fork & spray your penetrant of choice onto the adjuster shaft & then leave for 24 hrs
....hopefully next day it will release (prolly only work if there's been a little corrosion in there though....)

Once you get it off check for burring where the grub screw lands...and smooth off with a bit of sand paper / engineers tape if needed.
And if you can, check that the interface between the hex adjuster & the damper hasn't been rounded or damaged....?
Mate, did this and worked a treat!
Adjuster needs replacement. A bit too corroded. Rebound circuit still works just fine which is good news. Although I must admit the thought of buying new forks had me a bit excited. May service them and put them up for sale.

Cheers

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Noice!
Glad you got it sorted.
(Although I can't help feeling we missed an opportunity to add to the "Confessions..." thread...)

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk