Is my shock broken?

BKMad

Likes Dirt
I recently bought one of these for my trance to replace the basic shock that came with it.
http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/fox-float-mountain-bike-rear-shock-200mm-7.875-x-2/GFLOCB-303

The shock is generally an improvement over my old one, but there's two potential issues with it. It bottoms out too easily (with a medium volume spacer) and there is barely any discernible difference between the CTD settings. The old shock (fox evolution) had a smaller volume spacer and still had better bottom out resistance.

Is there supposed to be a significant difference between the CTD settings? This is a 2013 shock which I've heard weren't the best, but I'd expect to see more of a difference.

I'm wondering if the boost valve pressure is too low. Is the boost valve linked in with how the CTD settings work? If so, that might explain why the bottom out resistance is low and why the CTD doesn't work.

I need to confirm if this behaviour is normal. If so I'll just get a bigger volume spacer and eventually send it off for a tune. If not, then I'll send it back to get fixed under warranty.

teK--

Eats Squid
It's probably the wrong tune for your frame. I considered buying that exact shock but from that outlet for my Trance but decided against it due to this potential issue. I would then have to pay around $150 to have it custom tuned.

As for the CTD being the same in all 3 positions that sounds like a fault.

I recently bought one of these for my trance to replace the basic shock that came with it.
http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/fox-float-mountain-bike-rear-shock-200mm-7.875-x-2/GFLOCB-303

The shock is generally an improvement over my old one, but there's two potential issues with it. It bottoms out too easily (with a medium volume spacer) and there is barely any discernible difference between the CTD settings. The old shock (fox evolution) had a smaller volume spacer and still had better bottom out resistance.

Is there supposed to be a significant difference between the CTD settings? This is a 2013 shock which I've heard weren't the best, but I'd expect to see more of a difference.

I'm wondering if the boost valve pressure is too low. Is the boost valve linked in with how the CTD settings work? If so, that might explain why the bottom out resistance is low and why the CTD doesn't work.

I need to confirm if this behaviour is normal. If so I'll just get a bigger volume spacer and eventually send it off for a tune. If not, then I'll send it back to get fixed under warranty.

fedor346

Likes Dirt
Probably needs nitrogen refill in ifp. Leaks out over time plus straight from factory they don't always put correct pressure either.
But to answer your question regarding boost valve (ifp pressure) pressure yes ctd is dependent on this.
Cheers
Gav

Last edited:

BKMad

Likes Dirt
Probably needs nitrogen refill in ifp. Leaks out over time plus straight from factory they don't always put correct pressure either.
But to answer your question regarding boost valve (ifp pressure) pressure yes ctd is dependent on this.
Cheers
Gav
Thanks for confirming that. I'll contact the shop and see what they say about getting it fixed.

BKMad

Likes Dirt
what psi do you require to achieve 30% sag?
Not sure as at that much sag it would bottom out riding off a kerb
I'm currently running 180 psi which prevents it bottoming too easily, but thats only around 10% sag. Any less and it will bottom any time I get it off the ground. Oddly enough it doesn't ride too bad at this sag, its still better than the stock shock which would just pack up under repeated hits even with rebound fully open.

BKMad

Likes Dirt
It's probably the wrong tune for your frame. I considered buying that exact shock but from that outlet for my Trance but decided against it due to this potential issue. I would then have to pay around $150 to have it custom tuned.

As for the CTD being the same in all 3 positions that sounds like a fault.
I bought the shock with the intention of getting it tuned at some point in the future. There's not much that can be done to tune the basic evolution shocks so I bought this thinking it would be a good base to tune. You are no-doubt correct in that it isn't the right tune for the bike.

Since it sounds like it has a fault, hopefully the shop can get it fixed and I can see how it feels then and tune from there. Thanks for the input.

fedor346

Likes Dirt
I recon the standard ifp pressure would still feel too soft. Stock monarch plus ifp pressure is 250psi and stock rt3 is 300psi. I recon the fox ctd won't feel decent unless u throw in 230psi. I think there was another thread here about getting the valve for refilling the ifp. I'd go this path or speak to Brad at Tekin.
Cheers