Is Nomad a good idea?

Andobrahh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive got the inevitable itch for a new carbon enduro and am considering scratching it with a Nomad 4. Im currently on an aluminium Torque which already far surpasses my skill level, this is purely just because I can and because I loved VPP downhill bikes when i was growing up. I dont have the option of trying one either. So my questions are...
Am I an idiot for buying another 27.5 bike when Im 6'4?
Is a Nomad in general even going to be much of an improvement over the torque?
Is it time for me to realise travel doesnt actually add value to an enduro bike?
Any other information on the matter and the Nomad. Ive read a handful of reviews which all seem to say its great but still not enough for me to pull the trigger just yet.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Had a mkII alloy back in 2011/12 and a mkIII CC last year and loved them both. Don’t know that it makes any more “sense” than the Torque but sense rarely has anything to do with why we buy bikes. Haven’t ridden a mkIV but would buy one no hesitation if I was in the market for a big enduro/park bike again.

Andobrahh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Very encouraging views. To be honest I think this post was subconsciously just my minds attempt to gain justification for offloading 7-8k on a hobbie that Im only very average at.
On a side note, anyone selling an XL Nomad 4?

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Isn’t the Nomad due for a refresh this year? Current 4th gen was released back in mid 2017, so a new one is due this year if the SC 3-year cycle between updates still holds true and is covid-proof. Nomad 4 has a 65 degree HTA and 74.5 degree STA which Is a bit dated now, considering that the Hightower and Tallboy have 65.5 and 65.7 degree HTAs respectively and are trail bikes. The Yeti SB165 has a 63.5 degree HTA and a 77 degree STA which is a bike the N5 will need to compete with.

None of this means the N4 isn’t a good bike (not that I’ve ridden one), it’s just got 2017 geo. If you’re more interested in the N4 then it might mean picking up a new one/frame at a discounted price when the new N5 does finally drop.

Only want second hand? Ignore all of the above!

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
a hobbie that Im only very average at.
Shhhhhhh...don't over think that. Just make sure the bike is pimped out and you have sweet kit to go with it. Nobody needs to know you're a Jerry if you look the part...

Also ice owned 2 Nomads. they are sick bikes and a lot of fun. But also worth asking yourself is a Bronson or 5010 going to be suitable?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I'm 6'3" and I've got a full fruit N3 and a slew of other bikes you can have a bounce on if you're in Sydney.

I tend to find 29ers are very good for going very fast up or down but you pay for it in the corners compared to a 27.5. So if you're not planning to race heaps and go full send all the time then 27.5 is going to be a more flexible bike.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Andobrahh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So I'm feeling confident a nomad is the go for me. I guess my only decision now is whether its worth waiting to see what 2021 brings. I can get a brand new 2019 with S kit for 7k, seems like a great deal to me, but will fast become a not great deal if they bring out a whole new design in a few months

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Looking at the rest of the stable, I'd guess V5 is going to be incremental improvement/update only anyway - the V4 was the wholesale redesign where they moved to the lower-link design etc which they then rolled out across the rest of the range in the following years..

Odds are any V5 Nomad will be about tweaking kinematics and making it slightly longer, slightly lighter, couple of degrees steeper seat angle, and maybe adding a 157mm rear end and a 34.9 seatpost if they get really carried away... SC has always had slightly more conservative geo than other brands so don't expect it to suddenly become a Pole.

Grab a second hand frame and shift everything over from the Torque? They seem to come up on Facebook semi regularly.

Andobrahh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im leaning towards a complete as most of the gear on my torque are from the shallow end of the parts pool. Whether to go new or secondhand is still up in the air tho, im probably just being impatient

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
AND ANOTHER 6”4 27.5 rider here.
My favourite bike is 26. Wheelsize doesn’t dictate how long a bike is now, you’ll fit small wheels fine.

don’t forget the PYR.
You stay the hell away fron my Pivot Point!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Andobrahh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Congratulations! Are you gojng full on black, or we going to see a little dazzle?
It would be rude not to have a little dazzle. Will be swapping out the forks for the 2020 factorys i have on the torque as well as my atlas kashmoney bars aaaand probably some gold decals