Is reading a book part of a cross-training exercise regime

My wife and I were out hitting the pavement this morning for about 75 minutes, and enjoying the Queensland weather, each others company and the feeling that you get when you are working hard at something. We saw many others who had the same love of life and of exercise, and despite the many varying outfits which included your usual lycra (both men and ladies), convenient holders of house keys, lip balm and money ($5.50 = 1 x coffee @$3.50, and 1 x Sunday paper $2) which I believe are called bum bags which are actually not positioned at the rear of the holder but in fact directly above the package region. And an array of headphones plugged into the old ipods ranging from in the ear to those that make the wearer look like Mickey Mouse. But this is all good and not a concern. However, we passed a fellow 'walker' today who was strolling along, holding and reading a novel at the same time. Is this the way of the future of exercise or just weird? How do you protect the pages from droplets of perspiration? How do you not trip over cracks, driveways, footpath potholes? I can see it would come in handy to ward off those damn plovers swooping.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Maybe he is an Apache attack helicopter pilot. Those guys use each eye individually. He could use one eye for reading and one for watching where he is walking. I even read about one of them that could read two books at once.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Maybe he is an Apache attack helicopter pilot. Those guys use each eye individually. He could use one eye for reading and one for watching where he is walking. I even read about one of them that could read two books at once.
They aren't that shit hot. I just heard about one who was playing a game of strip-billiards and the chap was so shit he ended up completely starkers! ;)

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Probably. I witnessed a guy using a mobile phone in the surf a few months back. He was riding a SUP and he was definately having a conversation using a mobile. Perhaps he was playing Tetris between sets.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Back to the bum bag!, is this why they call them "Fanny Packs" over in the states?..
the "modern junkie" also likes to use bum bags, but i call them Smakie packs!

Last edited:

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
The Yanks are to silly to know that Fanny is short for ffffvagina and think it is a polite word for arse

Norco Maniac

Is back!
i wonder if he was doing a social commentary modern art installation? aimed at people who text whilst walking?

i love reading. it gives me an excuse to sit down in a comfy chair with a glass of wine :madgrin: it's not exactly cross-training tho :eyebrows:

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Back to the bum bag!, is this why they call them "Fanny Packs" over in the states?..
the "modern junkie" also likes to use bum bags, but i call them Smakie packs!
Ease up there son, I use a fanny pack but thats because my wallet keeps falling out of my undies.....

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Maybe he was doing some practice, to hone his skills for peak hour traffic so he can drive and read the paper at the same time.

I think I saw this guys young brother today reading his ipad whilst driving his car through Paddington. This was during peak hour so was crazy busy and he was crusin' with it placed on the steering wheel. Supp with that?