Is the Shimano XT 756a rear hub decent ?

camo71

Likes Dirt
Hi all
Just about to get a new rim built (x819 mavic ) and unable to use the old hub , so the XT seems like pretty good value but seems to have a few hit n miss reviews on reliability so I was after opinions ( or experiences ) on if I should go with that or spend a bit more .
Its the old 10/135 six bolt I'm after , just for Xc and general trail riding so don't need something super tough, that said not keen on pushing bike back and forking out for labour to swap it out soon after .
Cheers .

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
M756 is an older-tech hub that Shimano haven't killed off to keep the 6-bolt devotees happy; it lacks the refinement of more recent particularly M770/780-series hubs, namely oversized axle & faster ratchet, but is still a decent hub.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
M756 is an older-tech hub that Shimano haven't killed off to keep the 6-bolt devotees happy; it lacks the refinement of more recent particularly M770/780-series hubs, namely oversized axle & faster ratchet, but is still a decent hub.
The day that everything goes to centerlock will be a great day.

camo71

Likes Dirt
Excellent - thanks all .
I was looking at Hope @ CRC for about 260 I think ( the XT was about 68$) , just bad timing , might just wait a bit and do it right the first time .
Cheers for the in the middle suggestion to , worth considering if old rim starts hitting the frame a bit too soon .
And yeh good tip, on the adaptor was going to try an avoid if possible though .
Ta .