Is there an alternative to FiveTen Freerider Pro?

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Well for my last pair of Freerider Pros this was after 4-5 months of riding 2-3 times a week.

If that's normal, then i need to give up on grip for durability because I dont want to drop $200 twice a year

Attachments

Minlak

custom titis
Well for my last pair of Freerider Pros this was after 4-5 months of riding 2-3 times a week.

If that's normal, then i need to give up on grip for durability because I dont want to drop $200 twice a year
You get grip from compliance in the sole compounds - The compounds need to be flexible to be compliant - To be flexible they will be softer than other compounds that offer less grip.
So the interface between the shoe and the bike is the pedal - pedals with more or less aggressive interfaces (ie pins normally) will directly effect the perception of grip that you have. So a harder sole with a more aggressive pin may feel grippy - but not as grippy as a softer sole with the aggressive pins.
Sooo the level of grip is personal in perception and like saddles you will spend $1 Billion dollars finding the one that is a just perfect compromise of grip and durability for you only for them to stop making them.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Well my Teva's with DMR V12s lasted years together in a great relationship.... but upon reflection i have no idea if they were as grippy as the FiveTens because i wore them for so long that by the end there was barely a sole.... so any new shoe at that stage would have been a huge improvement.

Since then i've stuck with Freerider Pros as they're comfy, stiff enough, grip well..... no downside..... except cost and durability.

Maybe Unparallel is next for me..... after i use the pair of 5.10s sitting in my closet

Last edited:

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I just had a casual look on the Specialized site and the 2FO Roost (and I assume all their products) have gone up in price! They were $200, now $220! Supply chain can't be the reason for that surely?

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
I just had a casual look on the Specialized site and the 2FO Roost (and I assume all their products) have gone up in price! They were $200, now $220! Supply chain can't be the reason for that surely?
Well no point pricing yourself cheaper than all the rest!!! Perceived quality via pricing.

I still cringe at the price of all the flat pedal shoes.... but I guess they're no more than a pair of runners etc.

Still it stings and probably why we're all riding with shoes that are 4 months past their life span..... oh and the lack of sizing and availability in Australia.

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
Holy hell, I have my old 510s sitting next to me and just did the walk around of show repairers and didn't get far.

teK--

Eats Squid

For most people that would be 18 months of use (1 ride per weekend), which in my view is perfectly acceptable.

But otherwise, shoes are like tyres. If they grip, they are gonna rip. You cannot have it both ways so it's gotta be a balance.

teK--

Eats Squid
Have tried to get in touch with John for the last few weeks but cannot get a reply. I did ring and speak with someone else who answered and they said they are snowed under with work at the moment.

So I'm guess he's gonna prioritise climbing shoe repairs rather than mtb shoes, the latter of which is considered a special job.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
I've had this before... Been told to use sikoflex. Go to bunnings, there's 100 different sikoflexs. Pick the wrong one.