Is there an alternative to FiveTen Freerider Pro?

LPG

likes thicc birds
Thanks for this. I have some Etnies Marana skate shoes, which look almost exactly like these and are pretty good pump track shoes on their own. Still a bit on the fence, but your review might tip me over for a pair of these. Might need to be quick!

Edit: Kinda want the 2FO Specs a bit more, but at $90 vs $250 (ish) they are probably worth a punt.
These don't feel like skate shoes. I haven't tried the marana but reviews said that these are stiffer.
So turns out Pushys also have the Etnies Culvert for $109 in a few more sizes.
I could then get my normal 11, instead of having to upsize to an 11.5 in the $20 cheaper Camber Cranks.

I didn't even know the culvert existed, looks like it has a bit more ankle protection which I would have liked. Still happy with the camber though.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
I had been eyeballing these for a while and was waiting for a sale or needing new shoes desperately. I ordered a pair after your post. $90 is awesome and I would have ordered the tan anyway.

A quick comparison to my 510 Impact VXIs (no longer made but have been great to me).

They came today and I haven't ridden them but did bounce on the pedals a bit. They seem to be equivalently sticky to my 510 impact VXIs which have the extra sticky MI2 rubber but the sole is flatter so it is probably easier to reposition the shoe when you dont have it pressed into the pedal. They are a bit less bulky and seem lower at the ankle (probably about where the freerider pro sits, though I haven't worn them). In general these seem very similar to the freerider pros. They are also a bit firmer but with thinner material compared to the VXIs which are bulky. These seem to have firmer and less squishy soles and sides. Seems to be thinner but firmer material all around which puts it more in the middle of the range for Riding shoes. I suspect they may be a bit more efficient for pedalling with the firmer sole but if you come down hard on your feet from a big drop you will feel it more in these than the VXI.

On first impressions they seem to be very similar to the freerider pros in terms of style, protection etc. Keep in mind I have never owned freerider pros so this comparison doesn't mean much aside from a visual comparison on shoe size, shape, ankle protection etc.

The camber is touch heavier than the Impact VXI but unlike the normal Impacts the VXI are amazingly light (lighter than most trail shoes despite being aimed at DH). This definitely doesn't make the camber heavy.

re the sizing they are also a bit narrower in the toe box than the VXIs (which have a very boxy toe box which suits my foot shape). I can comfortably wear the vxis in 43 and 44, I wouldn't go smaller than the 44 on the camber. This is more a personal thing, I prefer a boxy toe box and I don't tend to get on with pointy toe boxes. These are probably right in the middle and will suit the average foot. The length of the shoe is exactly the same as the 510 VXIs so I would say sizing is accurate.
Look forward to review after a handful of rides....

What pedals?

Reactions: PJO

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
These don't feel like skate shoes. I haven't tried the marana but reviews said that these are stiffer.
They are stiffer than a regular skate shoe, even stiffer than my 5:10 dirt bags. But they aren't as stiff as a lot of there shoes, like my 5:10 Spitfires of yesteryear. They are narrow! I think I wore mine 4 times for lengthy rides before they stretched out and I can't get the laces any wider and still be using them. Generally I like these shoes more than the 5:10s I have owned (other than the dirtbag), but my crusty old skate style Teva were better.

LPG

likes thicc birds
They are stiffer than a regular skate shoe, even stiffer than my 5:10 dirt bags. But they aren't as stiff as a lot of there shoes, like my 5:10 Spitfires of yesteryear. They are narrow! I think I wore mine 4 times for lengthy rides before they stretched out and I can't get the laces any wider and still be using them. Generally I like these shoes more than the 5:10s I have owned (other than the dirtbag), but my crusty old skate style Teva were better.
Are you referring to the marana or the camber?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I gave a pair of the Marana a go on the weekend and was very happy. Comparing them to 5 10 free riders they were stiffer but equivalent grip for me. Narrow but that's good for me the 5 10s were wide for my foot. Also good materials, kept my feet dry and warm unlike the free riders.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I gave a pair of the Marana a go on the weekend and was very happy. Comparing them to 5 10 free riders they were stiffer but equivalent grip for me. Narrow but that's good for me the 5 10s were wide for my foot. Also good materials, kept my feet dry and warm unlike the free riders.
Happy days. They definitely look and feel like a quality shoe.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
My marana skates came with a Michelin sole. Not sure of it's a different rubber to the Camber or Culvert. I don't have a shore meter or anything, but will take a look when the Culverts arrive.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
This is a thread I have no horse in, 1 ride back in 2007, cut the f%#k out of my shins on a set of plastic pedals and been on clips since then

I was taking to a mate of mine who is 100% flats for years.

He was having a bleat about his old 5:10's and how he missed them. He was on what was recommended as a good replacement for the 5:10's and had 2 shins full of gouges.

Reckons he hadn't gouged a shin in years and with the new shoes, cut the crap out of his legs.

So much so he is looking for another set of the old 5:10s.

Are there any shoes that come close ? Any sole rubber similar, better or close to 5:10s ?

Sorry haven't read the thread.

Flow-Rider

Burner
This is a thread I have no horse in, 1 ride back in 2007, cut the f%#k out of my shins on a set of plastic pedals and been on clips since then

I was taking to a mate of mine who is 100% flats for years.

He was having a bleat about his old 5:10's and how he missed them. He was on what was recommended as a good replacement for the 5:10's and had 2 shins full of gouges.

Reckons he hadn't gouged a shin in years and with the new shoes, cut the crap out of his legs.

So much so he is looking for another set of the old 5:10s.

Are there any shoes that come close ? Any sole rubber similar, better or close to 5:10s ?

Sorry haven't read the thread.
All the top brands seem to grip fairly well, maybe only a small difference in the wet. The five/ten rubber is great, but it's very soft and its lifespan can be rather short I've found.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yep when you find a shoe you like buy multiple and hoard them. I grabbed the last pair of the high tops from pushies after liking the feel of the regular shoe.
This is partly how my shoe collection began and grew...might post a pic of something special when I get home.

My marana skates came with a Michelin sole. Not sure of it's a different rubber to the Camber or Culvert. I don't have a shore meter or anything, but will take a look when the Culverts arrive.
Yep. Michelin rubber here too. It's nice.

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
Got the young fella the Marana Crank MTB shoes - $60 from Pushies - they look like a solid shoe. They are not THAT narrow as he has a pretty wide foot. Maybe the Cranks are slightly different from the Skate in sizing?

The soles are pretty still, not as stiff as my 5:10 impacts - but they are bordering on too stiff.

Anyway $60 for speciality shoes verses his 'normal' runners and shoes shoes. Pretty bloody happy.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Got the Etnies Culvert shoes today.

Yet to go for a ride, but took a few photos for anyone thinking about them.

Here they are next to my older Etnies Maranas. Very similar if not identical sizing.

Pushed a key into the sole, and while they have a similar softness to the skate shoes, they have a much lower rebound. The key leaves an impression in the culvert sole when you push it in, and doesn't spring back out as quickly as the skate rubber.

They are very stiff soled. Not completely solid like a carbon road shoe, but stiffer than my Shimano GR7s.

Under the insole there is a hard plastic (?) layer that seems to give more stiffness.

Can barely get a bend in the sole with my hands, even pushing pretty hard.

Here is how I can bend the skate version.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Interested to seethe comparisons between the Culvert and Camber Crank....

Guessing everyone who's recently bought on the Pushys sale bought one or the other...

I'm tempted by both.

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

LPG

likes thicc birds
A quick update on the cambers after a quick ride after a day of WFH. The cambers felt great. I only rode for ~45 mins on some local trails. The trails only have a few sections that approach enduro or DH worthy but I very quickly forgot about them and they performed flawlessly. They didn't lose traction on my plastic stamp 1 pedals and were comfortable. I'll have a better update once I'm out of my covid bubble and can ride some proper rough trails (such as the trails that are just next to work where I will be tomorrow but cannot exercise near :( )