Is there an alternative to FiveTen Freerider Pro?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yep when you find a shoe you like buy multiple and hoard them. I grabbed the last pair of the high tops from pushies after liking the feel of the regular shoe.
This is partly how my shoe collection began and grew...might post a pic of something special when I get home.
Ribbed ... for pleasure?

Where's your special shoe pics?
Well I went and forgot all about this. But I was just rummaging in my shoe pantry (yes shoe pantry) to make room for a few new arrivals and was reminded...

Years ago when the good folks at CRC were asking me to spend $400 to get free delivery I often found that the range of casual shoes they offered were an easy and useful way to fill out the basket. Within a few orders I quickly became a shoe guy! Now also at this time I had 2 friends who I rode with a lot, usually 2 times a week minimum for years plus road trips and all the fun stuff you do when you are young. So for shits and giggles we picked up some matching bits of kit...this was all kicked off by our "team shoe" purchased from Jenson for about $25 a pair. It turned out these shoes were super comfy so I grabbed a bunch of them. I was running a program for at risk youth at the time and a few of the kids that were in need of fresh shoes got to join the team as well, for $25 a pair it was an easy choice. Years later when I sold my house I found one last pair in a box unused. I still have another beaten up pair I wear fishing. One day I'll bust these fresh ones out again. But not while the Cronulla Sharks are so often in everyone's minds (thanks again ScoMo...).

They are the Lotek "Eddie" (who I think was one of their sponsored bmx riders at the time), a mid-high top in suede.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
MTBR have them on file
https://products.mtbr.com/product/mtb-apparel-and-protection/shoes/lotek/eddie.html you can leave a review.

Question is... How does the 15yr old rubber compare to 5-10?
Synthetic??? Holy shit! This is the best synthetic leather/suede product I have ever used. If this was how all synthetic animal products performed I would be more open to using them.

The rubber gripped pedals great back in the day, I don't know about now...I wear the old pair rock fishing and they hold on to rocks well, but I have never worn 5:10s rock fishing. Anyone want to post me a pair for testing? I. Reluctant to soil my dirt bags with all the grime that rock fishing generates.

Actually...pretty sure I have a pair of barely had Spitfires around somewhere that were too small (9.5). Could try them or sell them.

ausdb

Being who he is
Got the Etnies Culvert shoes today.

Yet to go for a ride, but took a few photos for anyone thinking about them.
@dirtdad have you had a chance to have a ride yet?
I've just noticed I got a 20% promo from pushys that expires tonight and they've still got these left in my size.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
@dirtdad have you had a chance to have a ride yet?
I've just noticed I got a 20% promo from pushys that expires tonight and they've still got these left in my size.
I have. They suit me just fine.

Pros:
  • Michelin rubber holds well on my DMR V11 pedals. I have to lift to reposition, can't twist. (I could twist my Shimano michelin rubber shoes if I tired hard enough)
  • Stiff sole for pedalling, but still walkable.
  • Shoelace holder in the tongue works fine (but still annoying to use compared to a velcro strap)

Cons:
  • No ankle gaiter. So the occasional rock/sand gets in.
  • I have pretty wide feet, and from new they squish the outside a bit. But I have no doubt this will break in fine after another ride or two.
  • Tongue is a bit fat (but squishy, so will probably pack down.
  • Heel section padding could be higher on my foot.

(Don't know if you meant last night, but didn't see this til this morning)

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
I have. They suit me just fine.

Pros:
  • Michelin rubber holds well on my DMR V11 pedals. I have to lift to reposition, can't twist. (I could twist my Shimano michelin rubber shoes if I tired hard enough)
  • Stiff sole for pedalling, but still walkable.
  • Shoelace holder in the tongue works fine (but still annoying to use compared to a velcro strap)
Cons:
  • No ankle gaiter. So the occasional rock/sand gets in.
  • I have pretty wide feet, and from new they squish the outside a bit. But I have no doubt this will break in fine after another ride or two.
  • Tongue is a bit fat (but squishy, so will probably pack down.
  • Heel section padding could be higher on my foot.
(Don't know if you meant last night, but didn't see this til this morning)
Care to elaborate on grip a bit more? As compared to other shoes you've perhaps had in the past.

Currently 15% off site wide so pondering picking up a pair of Etnies

dirtdad

Care to elaborate on grip a bit more? As compared to other shoes you've perhaps had in the past.

Currently 15% off site wide so pondering picking up a pair of Etnies
I've only had the Shitmanos and these Etnies as 'proper' mtb shoes. Before that I always rode in vans...
They are better than my Shimano GR7s in grip. Never ridden the 5-10 train to compare.
Fwiw I'll be keeping an eye out for more Etnies, but probably loom for some mid height ones.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
I'll be giving these a run tomorrow.

Afton Cooper.

View attachment 378204

First non Shimano shoe in a long time! I'll be able to figure out pretty quickly how they grip, it'll be the first time on a hardtail tomorrow for a long time.
I'm testing a pair of those at the moment, grip is friggen great, first non-510 shoe I've used that has that level of grip. Flex point while walking is interesting, given the fully stitched seam across the toe...

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I'm testing a pair of those at the moment, grip is friggen great, first non-510 shoe I've used that has that level of grip. Flex point while walking is interesting, given the fully stitched seam across the toe...
Yeah, I see what you mean about the flex point. I only really noticed it when I was looking at it. It wasn't a problem on the bike or on the move at all that I noticed.

The grip was good. Better than the Shimano GR7 that they've replaced. Given it was my first ride back on a hardtail for a long time, the only time my foot wasn't where I wanted it to be was when I was really tired and any type of technique went out the window and even then my foot touched straight back down and didn't move again until I wanted it to.

I did get a tiny bit of the raised edge digging into my ankle one or two times, but nothing constant and didn't cause any problems. Hopefully when the shoes wear in a bit that will be better.

Overall they have really good grip, seem solidly made, but not over built and are comfortable enough to walk around in before and after the ride.

dirtdad

Heel section padding could be higher on my foot.
I rode today and I think I realised what's going on here.
Etnies likely took the existing skate shoe patterns and when they added a stiff extra insole layer, it raises your foot up just enough to seem like the heel padding is a fraction too low.
Hoping it'll break in fine. Don't really notice it on the bike.

jrewing

Eats Squid
I just bought some based on your review. Ive been a 5/10er forever so im trusting you here

Isildur

The Real Pedant
I put my clapped out old Freerider Pro's on yesterday for a quick spin to daycare pickup (mainly as they're a million timesd easier to actually get on due to the stock lacing of the Afton, which can be changed) and I've already grown used to a prefer the extra support of the Afton compared to the softer last of the FR Pro. I hope you'll like them!

jrewing

Eats Squid
Yeah worn freerides are pretty soft.
I put my clapped out old Freerider Pro's on yesterday for a quick spin to daycare pickup (mainly as they're a million timesd easier to actually get on due to the stock lacing of the Afton, which can be changed) and I've already grown used to a prefer the extra support of the Afton compared to the softer last of the FR Pro. I hope you'll like them!
btw do sizes run normal?

Isildur

The Real Pedant
btw do sizes run normal?
Depends on what you mean by "normal"! Compared to new/Adidas 5-10, they run a touch smaller so you'll want to go up half a size or so in the Afton. For reference, "old" 5-10 I was always a US10.5/UK9.5/EU44, new 5-10 sizing I was US10/UK9.5/EU44, Afton I've gone with US10.5/EU44.5 and that feels perfect.

RichJS

Likes Dirt
Can anyone confirm whether 5.10 is same / different fit between mens' and womens' versions? Particularly the Freerider Contact - I got a pair of the womens' and they feel super narrow compared to the Freeriders and Impact Pros. Length seems the same for the same French / Japanese sizing - IE 43 1/3 - 275mm.

Not that I'm likely to find Contacts for sale online anymore, but I'd jump at a cheap men's pair I found if I knew they were wider. I like how stiff they are - after a decade on stiff SPD shoes the Freeriders feel too soft. The Impact Pros fit very nicely, though chunky.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Can anyone confirm whether 5.10 is same / different fit between mens' and womens' versions? Particularly the Freerider Contact - I got a pair of the womens' and they feel super narrow compared to the Freeriders and Impact Pros. Length seems the same for the same French / Japanese sizing - IE 43 1/3 - 275mm.

Not that I'm likely to find Contacts for sale online anymore, but I'd jump at a cheap men's pair I found if I knew they were wider. I like how stiff they are - after a decade on stiff SPD shoes the Freeriders feel too soft. The Impact Pros fit very nicely, though chunky.
I had a pair of the women's freerider pros and they were the same as the men's. The size tag in the tongue even listed the men's size first.