Is there an alternative to FiveTen Freerider Pro?

RichJS

Likes Dirt
The size tag in the tongue even listed the men's size first.
Did you mean women's size first? If so, they sound the same as my wife's Freeriders - "US W / UK / EUR / CM." The size tag in all of my recent models (including the Women's Freerider Contacts) lists US / UK / FR / JPN / CHN. (FR = Euro)

I know my W's Contacts are the same length as the other shoes, because JP sizing gives millimetres long and also from fit. But the W's Contacts are way tighter (narrow) than the same length Freeriders and Impact Pros, so I'm just keen to know if M's Contacts are less tight.

A decade+ of SPDs has left me keen on soles way stiffer than Freeriders.

Last edited:

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
You'd think the shoe industry could just get together and do all shoes in mm

Yanks would lose their mind but who cares.

All the sizing between EU US etc is ridiculous

jrewing

Eats Squid
I'm testing a pair of those at the moment, grip is friggen great, first non-510 shoe I've used that has that level of grip. Flex point while walking is interesting, given the fully stitched seam across the toe...
Rate these shoes better than my free riders or impacts. Stiff, supportive and loads of grip. My fiveten days are finished.

PJO

in me vL comy
I've been riding the Etnies Culvert for the last month or so. When I first got them out of the box I was worried because the sole felt really plasticky like really hard rubber, and the fit was a bit odd.

Thankfully they have moved in the right places and they fit really well now. I bought my usual size (US10/43EU) and the length is spot on just the width in a couple of spots was tight, around the heel and at the outside behind the big toe joint. Did't rub but just felt a bit odd for the first few wears, no problems now though.

Even though the rubber is hard they grip really well to my Spank Spikes, so much so that it can be a little hard to adjust my feet, have to lift the foot.
I'm coming off Aften Keegan's that I've now worn out after 2.5yrs, the Keegan's were great but are all but trashed, the sole is mostly worn through with deep gouges and the upper is perished and holey. The Keegan's were similar in that I had to lift my foot to adjust but they are way looser on the pedals now, still grip ok when it counts but not like they used to when new.

They don't provide much grip when off the bike though but the Keegan's didn't really either, the Culvert's probably a little less.

Reckon they might be a descent buy for $110, but will reserve that judgement for a little longer to see how they wear. So far there are no marks on the sole from the pedal pins and I have spent about 10-12 hours of riding on them.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I'm still loving my Specialized 2FO Roost, really comfy, loads of grip on and off the bike.

Sadly, they don't stop you from falling into trees though.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone tried the newer Specialized 2FO DH flats? My Freeriders are starting to look a little worse for wear, and rather than just getting another pair am considering 2FO

Jpez

Down on the left!
Anyone tried the newer Specialized 2FO DH flats? My Freeriders are starting to look a little worse for wear, and rather than just getting another pair am considering 2FO
I read a review saying they thought no shoe could ever be as grippy as their 5/10’s but were blown away. So no personal experience as I couldn’t bring my self to wear a Specialized shoe no matter how good they were but the review was good.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I read a review saying they thought no shoe could ever be as grippy as their 5/10’s but were blown away. So no personal experience as I couldn’t bring my self to wear a Specialized shoe no matter how good they were but the review was good.
Yeah everything i'm reading seems to be good, just so tough to decide given that shoes are so personal. Northwave Tribes got good reviews for example, but I seriously disliked them regardless.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Yeah everything i'm reading seems to be good, just so tough to decide given that shoes are so personal. Northwave Tribes got good reviews for example, but I seriously disliked them regardless.
What didn’t you like about the Tribes? I’ve got some clans that I really liked when I got them but the more I wear my old 5tens I’m not so sure now. The grip isn’t quite as good and the fit which was tight hasn’t loosened up so they are just plain too tight and a couple of other little niggles. Thinking of going back to the Freerider Pros.

peanut

Likes Dirt
I've been using the roost (not DH Roost) since feb. I'd suggest sizing up, I used US12 &13 in five ten impacts, the US 12 roost are shorter & narrower than the 5 ten us 12.(The old sam hill versions).
I tried to get a US13 in the roost DH in April (for winter) but was told august at the earliest.
The 12 felt o.k in the shop & was the biggest size I could get locally at the time, they did stretch a bit but I have to use them with thin socks...which wasn't great this winter in Canberra.
They work well, definitely on par grip wise with the impacts.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What didn’t you like about the Tribes? I’ve got some clans that I really liked when I got them but the more I wear my old 5tens I’m not so sure now. The grip isn’t quite as good and the fit which was tight hasn’t loosened up so they are just plain too tight and a couple of other little niggles. Thinking of going back to the Freerider Pros.
The biggest thing with the Tribes was that I always felt like I was standing 'on' the shoe rather than in it - hard to explain, but just never had the support and groundedness that i've felt other shoes have had. Kind of like the difference between trying to balance on just the ball of your foot, and standing foot flat on the ground. The grip with the Michelin soles was definitely not on par with Stealth either - it was good, but not to the level I wanted or expected, felt a little lacking & I did slip feet a bit.

I don't remember ever having a slip with current shoe/pedal combo (Freeriders + Deity T-Mac), only the occasional bounce off the pedal, which has only ever been on stuff like Detonate/Shearpin & the blacks down at Maydena.

I've been using the roost (not DH Roost) since feb. I'd suggest sizing up, I used US12 &13 in five ten impacts, the US 12 roost are shorter & narrower than the 5 ten us 12.(The old sam hill versions).
I tried to get a US13 in the roost DH in April (for winter) but was told august at the earliest.
The 12 felt o.k in the shop & was the biggest size I could get locally at the time, they did stretch a bit but I have to use them with thin socks...which wasn't great this winter in Canberra.
They work well, definitely on par grip wise with the impacts.
Cheers, on par with Impacts sounds pretty good. Sounding like they might be the go. Think I might see if I can find a local Spec store to try them on if possible, have definitely been caught out with shoes from online before (multiple times).

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Just had first ride using some Ride Concepts Livewires. They were a bit snug but apparently will loosen. Liking them so far, they are heavy but not heavier than Freeriders. Great grip. Longevity to be seen.

Wanted to get the Etnies but just missed out on the last pair of my size, so thought I'd give these a go.

Only had 5-10s up until now, my 2015 Freeriders still look great, but the inner sole has compresed to nothing and they aren't so stiff anymore so aren't as comfortable on longer rides. I also have some Contact Pros but they haven't held up anywhere near as well.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I know this is 10 pages about flat pedal shoes, but - I snagged a pair of unworn new-model Spec 2FO cliplites, and they just turned up in the post today. Obviously haven't ridden in them, but they look/feel great. Really comfortable fit, Boa closure is always nice but they're good Li2 dials which is even better, good arch support and a wide toe box. Nice welded construction and the Slip Not sole seems really nice and grippy. Don't feel much heavier than the ME7 though claimed weight is about +40g. RRP of $300 would be a stretch though...

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I know this is 10 pages about flat pedal shoes, but - I snagged a pair of unworn new-model Spec 2FO cliplites, and they just turned up in the post today. Obviously haven't ridden in them, but they look/feel great. Really comfortable fit, Boa closure is always nice but they're good Li2 dials which is even better, good arch support and a wide toe box. Nice welded construction and the Slip Not sole seems really nice and grippy. Don't feel much heavier than the ME7 though claimed weight is about +40g. RRP of $300 would be a stretch though...
Rode 55km in these on Saturday between a loop at Buxton and a lap of Lake Mt Cascades. They're awesome. I'm sold.

I weighed one when I put the cleat on too - 40g lighter than the Shimano ME7 (both size 45). They're also noticeably cooler than the ME7 on account of the Shimano's thick lace cover flap, despite the 2FO having less open mesh material on the toes (which also means they got less dust in them even without the ankle gaiter of the ME7).