Is this 29 worth it?

Z

Zaf

Look for second hand on facebook as well. Just a quick search on one group showed this, which will be WAY better than that links in OP.

(editing in)

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm going to be the crazy one and say if it's for a newbie and/or budget constrained the anaconda bike might be a best of the rest option at that price. Just accept all the downsides of the parts selected and ride it appropriately.
PS a 5-10 yr old fox fork gives me goosebumps thinking about all that could be wrong with it, no thanks.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I'm going to be the crazy one and say if it's for a newbie and/or budget constrained the anaconda bike might be a best of the rest option at that price. Just accept all the downsides of the parts selected and ride it appropriately.
PS a 5-10 yr old fox fork gives me goosebumps thinking about all that could be wrong with it, no thanks.
True that, the ones that self service seem to be the worst I've found.

Z

Zaf

True that, the ones that self service seem to be the worst I've found.
On the local MTB website, one of the members talked about "have you serviced your forks recently" then showed a bunch of pictures where he'd pried the dust wipers up the stanchions (without having dropped the lowers) to show him cleaning the mud on the foam rings as a way of servicing them.

Proper bike gore. I'm sure I've kept screenshots of it somewhere, but it gives me reason to pause when buying second hand.

Flow-Rider

Burner
On the local MTB website, one of the members talked about "have you serviced your forks recently" then showed a bunch of pictures where he'd pried the dust wipers up the stanchions (without having dropped the lowers) to show him cleaning the mud on the foam rings as a way of servicing them.

Proper bike gore. I'm sure I've kept screenshots of it somewhere, but it gives me reason to pause when buying second hand.
I've bought 4 second hand forks with problems like creaks, stripped threads, over tighten bolts, under tighten bolts. They were cheap enough and got me out of the shit but I hate reversing some of that stuff.

stirk

Burner
A mate bought a fluid against my advice and it was ok but got rusty fairly quickly where as my bikes which see alot more water have zero rust. If you do buy it keep clean and lubed.

I just got a polygon 24" for my kid and am impressed with the frame quality and parts spec, for a kids bike. Definitely worth a look in this price bracket.

RangaWal

Likes Bikes
Thanks everyone. I'm in no real hurry, and happy to buy a used bike (this is to replace my recently stolen old Giant Reign, which I bought for $350 - way overkill for my needs, but I thought it to he a good deal).

Unfortunately the Giant linked above is too big for me (I'm 5'6").

The hard thing is I know SFA about bikes, so need some help if choosing new, and especially used. Perhaps I'll keep an eye out on here for used bikes and you guys can help!

Thanks,
Ranga

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Yes, happy to help. You have your own thread now, just find stuff & chuck it in here. We will always have an opinion!

mallion

Squid
Get on Gumtree and have a look at bikes in your local area, then if there is something that interests you post the link up here.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
No. This bike is not worth it. In fact it is not worth the small amount of world wide data that this thread is consuming. Dude...I'm all for you loading up a fresh rig, but this should not be in your stable.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ fuck Gumtree. It's full of pricks.

Ranga you seem go have very limited options:
1) go bald. Rangas attract trouble.
2) hide from the sun, riding at night. Skin cancer is tough business.
3) grow a few extra inches. Get into the medium size range as there is maximum options.

Fuck me autocorrect ran a muck! Good luck dude and spend more than you wanted too.

Last edited: