Is this a good deal?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Looks like junk wal. A lot of low end bits jumbled together that will under perform and be time.amd money lost on maintenance and replacement. I'd look to spend more up front. You'll save in the long run and get more use/enjoyment from the bike.

However if that is the absolute most you can afford it is better than no bike.

moorey

call me Mia
Both will be basic and heavy.
Both will do the job.
Both are dearer and lower end than something you could buy or build secondhand, but assuming it’s for Christmas, that’s unlikely to work.
Looked on bike exchange for run out deals? Where you located?

RangaWal

Likes Bikes
I'm Brisbane north. Keep in mind that these are for mostly bitumen/concrete bike paths, with the occasional dirt track, used for leisurely rides by my 10yo duaghter and my wife.

I've been keeping an eye on bike exchange, and don;t really know what I'm looking for. I do know that I'm struggling to justify spending more on a bike for the above-mentioned purposes. Perhaps I need to review my parameters!

RangaWal

Likes Bikes
How about these? The best I could do would be $700 each, but even then I fear they won;t be used enough to justify the cost. Happy to be educated otherwise.

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/hardtail-mountain-bikes/scott/vic/hawthorn/aspect-740/102993134
https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/h...s-sport-hardtail-27-5-mountain-bike/102920368

Or even the Montari 3, for the same price as the previously mentioned Montari 2?
https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/h...anti/qld/fortitude-valley/montari-3/102747857

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
...used for leisurely rides by my 10yo duaghter and my wife.
Are these women important to you? Do you want them to enjoy cycling and hopefully want to ride more often?

If yes, then spend more up front. For example the suspension forks on that bike will be as effective as a rigid fork. This will lead to things like "my forks don't work" and "the bumps hurt my hands." They aren't really a serviceable fork so the only option to improve the performance would be replacement...and suddenly there goes some more money. The gears used are not particularly good either. Skipping and sticky gears are very frustrating to ride and you'll either spend hours in the shed trying to make them work or have the bike down at the shop more often than you should.

If you want to buy on price point rather than quality, get something with less features (especially no suspension and no hydraulic brakes at this price point). This will allow the manufacturer to spend their small allowance per bike on better quality parts as the budget is spread less thin.

RangaWal

Likes Bikes
I hear what you're saying. What new bike would you recommend for $650-$700? They won't be doing anything close to what would be considered hard-core (or probably what you guys would call mountain biking!). I just figured MTB style (decent tread, more durable than a roady or cruiser, etc) would suit them the most. Happy to even reconsider that. They don't really care what they get, as long as they're comfortable, and are fit for purpose (and dare I say, pretty! :p).

PS - I think suspension is also overkill for their needs.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I don't recommend a bike in that price range. Spending more or not spending are my recommendations.

This is the last bike is supplied to a female. It was regularly ridden to the shops and cafes. It did about 3 rides on fire roads and 1 trail ride. She had owned other bikes previously and said she barely rode them as they never felt comfortable or they hadn't worked properly. She liked 2 things about this bike; the wheels and the dropper post as this made it easy to get on/off or pull up at the lights etc. And yes it was rather uncool that I had the same frame and no we did not plan it to be all kawaii. She doesn't need it any more and it lives in shed as a spare for other casual riders to use.

One of my friends purchased this for his wife. She rides it on the cycleway or fire road with their kids. http://www.polygonbikes.com/ww/bikes/description/2016-siskiu-d7

Attachments

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Find a bike model worth around $1500. Then find that bike second hand for about $500 in good condition.

Or going a little against what other have said, an entry level bike will be fine for road riding and ‘light duty’ off road. If your riders get more serious about off road (hoping they do) you will then find good reasons upgrade - suspension and brakes being the big ones

scblack

Leucocholic
Find a bike model worth around $1500. Then find that bike second hand for about $500 in good condition.
The problem is this guy does not really know anything about bikes, so he could very easily be tricked into a bad purchase, or it is completely shagged, and a worse buy than a cheaper new one.
Or going a little against what other have said, an entry level bike will be fine for road riding and ‘light duty’ off road. If your riders get more serious about off road (hoping they do) you will then find good reasons upgrade - suspension and brakes being the big ones
This I agree with, for paths and light trails, an entry level bike will do the job.

For my daughter (10yo), I bought a $399 Giant Areva, which is just 7speed so less crap to bugger with. Spent a little more for wife's hardtail bike (Avanti something $650 or so) which has hydro brakes and better fork. Both used for same as you expect for your two.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Hurdur sPeNd MoAr MuNnIeS

I bought my girlfriend a live temp ($1200 one), but the frame and bars are the same. She rates it, nice upright body position, pretty comfortable. The geo is very upright with a steep head angle, totally fine for bike paths and easy trails. When her confidence picked up and she wanted to ride proper mtb trails she soon found the limits and we got her a second hand on-one inbred single speed (she loves it) for single track use.

The temp has a very low standover, which she really likes, all the other bikes she sat on had tall top tubes and she struggled to stand over them.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Have you had a look at what cycling deal have to offer? You can usually get a bike with better spec for a similar price (or a bike with similar spec for less), provided you're happy to buy outside the big brands.
https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au

I reckon you'll be ok to just buy cheaper bikes if they're not going to be using them for mountain biking, gravel paths aren't particularly demanding and most I newbies wouldn't know the difference between a base level shifter and a top of the line one - "it's more clicky" is something I've heard more than once

There seems to be a more important issue here though:
What are you buying for yourself?
You can't go buying shiny new bikes for the family and not yourself! Give us your budget for your own bike and we'll flood you with recommendations

Sent from my Xperia Z3C using Tapatalk