Is this a good deal?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
most I newbies wouldn't know the difference between a baselevel shifter and a top ofthe line one - "it's moreclicky" is something I'veheard more than once
Often coupled with "it doesn't work." but not being able to explain what that means and the frustration that follows. Sure the cheap bike's wheels should roll round and they can sit on them.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Brisbane North? Cruise into Ashgrove Cycles and have a talk to Gav. He might be able to do a deal on superseded Giant.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
for everyday cycling & some offroad use do you mean not single track? maybe consider a cheap cyclocross bike [like reid cycles] i bought my daighter one -she can do long road rides on it -i setup tubeless [she has also done some sngle track -at her speed suspension is of no benefit, she won't hop logs anyways] other bike to look for is a focus planet -decent hybrid bike [they also have a belt version but its a fair bit more]

RangaWal

Likes Bikes
What are you buying for yourself?
You can't go buying shiny new bikes for the family and not yourself! Give us your budget for your own bike and we'll flood you with recommendations
I have an older (2014?) Giant Reign. Overkill for me, but I picked it up for $350, which I was pretty happy with. Even so, I don't need either the front or rear suspension this thing has - I keep them locked out.

In all honesty, I'd be better off with an e-bike, which would allow me to ride to the train station without getting all sweaty, which would be good for the passengers beside me! o_O

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pretty much all 'mountain bikes' will have suspension in that price range. It is entry level and the manufacturers think they need to make them look like the expensive models to sell to newbies. Pretty much all bikes in a price range will be very similar, and at the end of the day who cares if the suspension is really only there for looks unless you are riding technical trails.

Pick a price point, then find one from a local bike shop you find helpful. Don't forget that your riders will need buy in - let them pick a colour/style they like. If they don't like it it will be a waste of money.

Alternatively you might find an online seller a bit cheaper, polygon, Cell, Reid but you wont get the after sales service you will at a good bike shop.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Buy a flat bar road bike. It has the mtb look you think you want and the spec should be better than a mtb.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Pretty much all 'mountain bikes' will have suspension in that price range. It is entry level and the manufacturers think they need to make them look like the expensive models to sell to newbies. Pretty much all bikes in a price range will be very similar, and at the end of the day who cares if the suspension is really only there for looks unless you are riding technical trails.

Pick a price point, then find one from a local bike shop you find helpful. Don't forget that your riders will need buy in - let them pick a colour/style they like. If they don't like it it will be a waste of money.

Alternatively you might find an online seller a bit cheaper, polygon, Cell, Reid but you wont get the after sales service you will at a good bike shop.
Probably a good idea buying from a real shop if you don't understand about bike fitting, it will be annoying riding a bike that's uncomfortable because it doesn't fit right.

RangaWal

Likes Bikes

I think your suggestion is probably the most suitable. Given what the bike will be used for, I'd be disappointed if a ~$650 bike doesn't do the job. Surely would have to be better than a $150 special from a department store.

We don't have a lot of time to physically inspect other bikes, so might need to stick with the Avanti bikes mentioned in the first post, or have a look at the Giant Cross City 2 mentioned above (if I can find them in the right size).

Thanks everyone for the advice. Hopefully they enjoy riding enough to progress to a real MTB!

Rossm

Likes Bikes
At $499 its a good deal for what you want. At the $1,400 RRP - forget it!

Anaconda are better than most department stores for bikes - they have a bike mechanic in store.

Rossm

Likes Bikes
Top bar/tube:

However, most MTBs are now being designed with a lower stand-over (distance between top tube & ground) anyway. Women’s MTB models will tend to be smaller frame sizes than the unisex equivalents (and "womens" colours!!), is about all from most manufacturers.