Is this a joke?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
One of the many things I hate about 2x or 3x is the noise and frequent chain drops. It's all bang and clatter and you can't run a chain guide. Sure the ratios are closer together and you've got more gears than Eagle (for those fire road KOMs), but unless you've got electronically assisted shifting it's clunky as all hell switching between those front rings and having to plan your shifts. :behindsofa:
Sorry, but bullshit (except about the chainguide, but even that's only partially true - firstly the FD is a form of chainguide, and you can get lower guides to suit multiple rings). You just need to tune it properly. Which I will admit with some frames & their associated rear suspension geometries can be calculated guesswork at times because of the difference in vertical chainline & chain alignment through the derailleur when the suspension is fully extended on the workstand vs sagged when under normal riding load. And if you're dropping chains then in all likelihood it's because your rings are fucked. I can't remember the last time I had a chain drop on either of my 3x bikes (yet passed multiple 1x riders stopped to refit dropped chains during a 10-hour XC race last weekend). And if you have to plan your shifts, maybe you should train yourself to read the trail better and practice double front & rear shifting so it becomes an instinctive & smooth process.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Sorry, but bullshit (except about the chainguide, but even that's only partially true - firstly the FD is a form of chainguide, and you can get lower guides to suit multiple rings). You just need to tune it properly. Which I will admit with some frames & their associated rear suspension geometries can be calculated guesswork at times because of the difference in vertical chainline & chain alignment through the derailleur when the suspension is fully extended on the workstand vs sagged when under normal riding load. And if you're dropping chains then in all likelihood it's because your rings are fucked. I can't remember the last time I had a chain drop on either of my 3x bikes (yet passed multiple 1x riders stopped to refit dropped chains during a 10-hour XC race last weekend). And if you have to plan your shifts, maybe you should train yourself to read the trail better and practice double front & rear shifting so it becomes an instinctive & smooth process.
Some would say the FD is a poor excuse for a chain guide and rather noisy. When I say chain drops, I don't mean the chain coming off completely, I mean dropping onto the smaller ring(s). And that's with brand new rings. I get reading the trail and getting the front and rear shifting to the point where it's instinctive, but I would argue that it's never going to be as smooth, fast and instinctive as having just one shifter to think about. I'm sure lots of XC racers would disagree.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that with a front derailleur you can't run a lever actuated dropper remote on the bars. Does this mean that on the left side of the bars you have brakes, shifter and (badly designed) dropper remote? That's a lot going on, I wouldn't call that smooth and instinctive.

In all fairness, we're probably talking about different disciplines here; 2x and 3x is more suited to XC riding/racing (where most riders probably don't even have a dropper post) and 1x is more suited to trail riding and enduro, where those higher ratios aren't needed as much.

moorey

call me Mia
Some would say the FD is a poor excuse for a chain guide and rather noisy. When I say chain drops, I don't mean the chain coming off completely, I mean dropping onto the smaller ring(s). And that's with brand new rings. I get reading the trail and getting the front and rear shifting to the point where it's instinctive, but I would argue that it's never going to be as smooth, fast and instinctive as having just one shifter to think about. I'm sure lots of XC racers would disagree.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that with a front derailleur you can't run a lever actuated dropper remote on the bars. Does this mean that on the left side of the bars you have brakes, shifter and (badly designed) dropper remote? That's a lot going on, I wouldn't call that smooth and instinctive.

In all fairness, we're probably talking about different disciplines here; 2x and 3x is more suited to XC riding/racing (where most riders probably don't even have a dropper post) and 1x is more suited to trail riding and enduro, where those higher ratios aren't needed as much.
Wait, what? I have mates running FD and droppers...and also shock lockouts. Bars like that are the stuff of my nightmares, but are a thing.

Fruitbat

Likes Dirt
Sounds like wayyyyyy too much thinking is going on in this thread.
I recommend you ditch all those fancy FD/RD eagle whatever thingys and get a single speed. That way you will only have 3 choices (sitting down pedalling, standing up pedalling or walking) but your bars will be super clean and after a few weeks you will have legs like tree trunks....:thumb:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Sounds like wayyyyyy too much thinking is going on in this thread.
I recommend you ditch all those fancy FD/RD eagle whatever thingys and get a single speed. That way you will only have 3 choices (sitting down pedalling, standing up pedalling or walking) but your bars will be super clean and after a few weeks you will have legs like tree trunks....:thumb:
Is suspension allowed?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Bullshit to that too. No different to a suspension lockout lever on the other side.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Bullshit to that too. No different to a suspension lockout lever on the other side.
You completely missed my point. I'm talking about the new breed of dropper post LEVER remotes, you know, the ones that look like shifters (and sometimes are converted shifters). Are you telling me that you can essentially have 2 shifters side by side? Now that's bullshit.

aaaaa.jpg

moorey

call me Mia
You completely missed my point. I'm talking about the new breed of dropper post LEVER remotes, you know, the ones that look like shifters (and sometimes are converted shifters). Are you telling me that you can essentially have 2 shifters side by side? Now that's bullshit.

View attachment 337510
It might inform your choice of remote....but I don't think this is actually what you were referring too anyway.
Don't make me defend front mechs, ffs! Your argument is irrelevant.