Isaac's Ridge - Canberra

Tubbsy

quadragenarian
Staff member
Nope. Somewhere else.
Spent a bit of time sifting through the Kowalski Facebook posts and images. Noticed some clues, made an educated guess and went for a little explore this morning.

Pretty confident I have found the new location, and there is some seriously nice terrain and views there. This could make Sparrow and Kowen look very much like the entreé to a very nice main course...

ACT Parks signs have some little mtb icons on their sign posts that look like they haven't been there long...

Secret.jpg

When is the next build day @Kowalski Brothers? This looks potentially very exciting.

Tubbsy

quadragenarian
Staff member
A bit of a wait still I reckon going by what i've seen. Hopefully there'll be some build days coming up as I'd like to pitch in.

Tubbsy

quadragenarian
Staff member
A bit of a wait still I reckon going by what i've seen. Hopefully there'll be some build days coming up as I'd like to pitch in.
Looks like there was a last-minute build day on the weekend going by their FB page, so seems this project is back up and running.

Tubbsy

quadragenarian
Staff member
Awesome, definitely need somewhere new to ride now that Stromlo is impossible on weekends.
Too crowded? Hopefully that is getting fed back to whoever is in charge of releasing the $$$.

I did 35km at Sparrow on Sunday and only came across two others on the trail, and that was only because they were riding the reverse direction.

droenn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, too crowded at Stromlo - especially the main climb. It will thin out a bit once it gets cold though!

Good that it attracts so many people I guess - means they other places stay nice and quiet :)

dancaseyimages

Likes Dirt
Too crowded? Hopefully that is getting fed back to whoever is in charge of releasing the $$$.

I did 35km at Sparrow on Sunday and only came across two others on the trail, and that was only because they were riding the reverse direction.
I really like Sparrow. Hows the logging looking?

Tubbsy

quadragenarian
Staff member
Yeah, too crowded at Stromlo - especially the main climb. It will thin out a bit once it gets cold though!
Yeah the climb is busy... but it's climbing. Ugh. I find if you don't take the main descent over Skyline and through Luge, and go out the back instead it's pretty quiet. I tend to go down Wedgetail then up to Magpie, around through Slickrock and then Brindabella right to the far corner and it's all pretty quiet.

I really like Sparrow. Hows the logging looking?
I did 35km (Western Loop joining Long Loop plus optional extensions), and none of it was through a logged section. Some of it is new trail through relatively young trees of 2m-4m, but largely all as it's been for years.

Kowen has been logged quite a bit. They've fixed up the trail through some the logged areas, but it's pretty exposed at the moment, with the new trees just a foot or so tall. Not ideal on a hot day, bring your sunscreen.