Isaac's Ridge - Canberra

Bucket Master

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
I've been lucky enough to be asked to be involved in pulling this plan together.

Keep an eye our for the release of the Isaac's Ridge Mountain Bike Trail Network Upgrade community consultation and trail management plan in early August.

Focus will be on Down Hill but the planning will incorporate XC and some multi-use (the Centenary Trail runs through here)

Initial broad community consultation will go out within the next few days - I'll post a link once it's up

AB

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Awesome!!! Keep us up to date on this. This area has so much potential and it's in a pretty central location too. I remember racing numerous DH tracks back here in the day and the two centenary trail sections at either end (mugga and long gully) are pretty cool too.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
yes yes y'all!!!

pm me, I live just a few minutes from Isaacs and have - well - not much time but plenty of skillz with maps and shovels to add. And it's easy for me to pop over and do walkabouts etc.

ninjananna

Likes Dirt
If the intent is for DH orientation then all good and disregard this - but my first impression when seeing this was "are we spreading the trail fairies too thin?".

Please note I only ask from a XC riding perspective.

Klips

Likes Dirt
If we are spreading the fairies too thin, we need to figure out how to get more riders to help dig or build tracks which hold up to abuse better...

Kramer

FoBR
I agree about trail fairies being a bit thin on the ground. Seems to be a handful of people doing most of the shovelling at each trail network. I'm not complaining, but it would be good to have more people to get through the backlog of work.
Thread hijack - let me know if you want to help dig at Bruce Ridge...

If Issacs can be setup to retain its DH focus, then you might get a slightly different crew to those at Majura, Kowen, Sparrow & Bruce, and get some fresh blood into the trails scene.

Just to throw my 2 cents in on the trails themselves.... I think it is important that the nature of the trails at Issacs (ie. Downhill and technical) remain. Otherwise, there is a risk that riders/diggers will get disenfranchised...and maybe start digging elsewhere. This is a good opportunity for PCS to push their limits a little on sanctioned higher risk trails.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
If Issacs can be setup to retain its DH focus, then you might get a slightly different crew to those at Majura, Kowen, Sparrow & Bruce, and get some fresh blood into the trails scene.

Just to throw my 2 cents in on the trails themselves.... I think it is important that the nature of the trails at Issacs (ie. Downhill and technical) remain. Otherwise, there is a risk that riders/diggers will get disenfranchised...and maybe start digging elsewhere. This is a good opportunity for PCS to push their limits a little on sanctioned higher risk trails.
this! Canberra sorely needs some rocky gnar, and Isaacs is prime real estate for it.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
this! Canberra sorely needs some rocky gnar, and Isaacs is prime real estate for it.
I remember racing Isaacs back in the day. There was pretty serious chunk up there. The two original DH tracks with the road gaps were pretty solid (and the huge booter down the bottom fireroad). There was also one track cut in for a CORC round a bit closer towards the pine forest, was only about 1:30 long but man was it wild!! Isaacs is definitely the place to get a bit of gnar going in Canberra I reckon.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
And the link to the survey can be found below - open until around the start of September

http://www.timetotalk.act.gov.au/consultations/?engagement=isaacs-ridge-trail-upgrade
Completed! I don't ride DH at all, but it's great to be able to lend support to more DH riding in Canberra. I hope the work done at Bruce Ridge, where a previously unauthorised trail network has been assessed, cleaned up, formally signed and supported, can be a blueprint for other areas around Canberra, including Isaac Ridge.

tprmc78

Likes Dirt
Survey

I just filled it out as well but I think there is definitely room in there for a different plan similar to what the rats did at the Pines but with a downhill track as well. Having helped build various trails around the place I am always wary of the enduro/DH when they say they will lend a hand and dig. Past experience has shown me that it is hard for them even to get volunteers to races because they all want to race and not lend a hand.

This is just my opinion and hopefully Isaacs trail plan can get up and going I am just over the hill so I would definitely be keen for it to get going again.
Now if we could only get MT Taylor going but a few too many endangered species on the hill .............

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Done. Would love to say that I'll pick up a shovel but the time I have available (and when my stupid body is available) I'm largely committed to Bruce Ridge.

Blingerific

Likes Dirt
Hi All,

So far we have had a really positive response from the ACT Govt and they understand and accept that DH is core to what we feel Isaacs needs to be. In that we're also working on some XC fun that will be a different challenge. The other local users have been supportive along the way, which is great to see.

In amongst all of this is considerations for signage, walkers/runners and other users. We will hopefully see a draft Master Plan in the near future and shovels in the ground in the not too distant future...

Cheers!
Mullet
Vice President
CORC