It's a bird! it's a plane! It's a Bird Bird Aeris AM9!

SDA

Likes Dirt
Awesome bike! I was very close to ordering one of these before I bought my Rallon.

The no shipping of a complete bike is a pain. They did look into it for me but it was super expensive.

Reactions: LPG

LPG

likes thicc birds
Awesome bike! I was very close to ordering one of these before I bought my Rallon.

The no shipping of a complete bike is a pain. They did look into it for me but it was super expensive.
Interesting, I was considering asking them about that but ended up being wooed by the idea of building it myself. It would be nice if aone of these smaller operations or even individuals were able to get the same prices as big companies for international shipping.

LPG

likes thicc birds
I thought it would be good to do a little ride report. Short answer is it is awesome and just what I wanted. It's hard to write a description of the bike as it is so different to what I am (was) used to and ride regularly. It does seem to be a great complement to the somewhat aggro hardtail with big wheels that my Stache is. While it is hard to compare I can say that it was instantly more comfortable riding than any rental bike or other riders bike I've spent time on that would be comparable.

I've had approximately 10 rides on the bird. Mostly at local trails around Wollongong (Mt Keira and surrounds) pedalling up and down for 1.5-2 hours. There was also an afternoon of shuttles one day and I also rode Kentlyn for the first time on the weekend which was different and awesome.

I've tried to give scores to different ride characteristics. These scores are based on a lot of things including the time of day, wind, my libido, what I ate for dinner and possibly even how the bike is to ride. Take these numbers with approximately 0.053- 476 metric tonnes of salt.

Climbing feels great which is pretty impressive considering I'm used to a fun hardtail with 29x3" tyres. I don't feel much slower but it is different. On road climbs (common for me getting up at Mt Keira) l'm probably a bit slower but I haven't had equivalent riding to really compare. Technical climbing is different from the Stache (which is an awesome monster truck up the climbs) but still very good. The suspension absorbs rocks and the like very well while still pedalling well even when standing up and accelerating. There are some technical climbs that I feel that the bird is better, some that the Stache suits better. I give it a 8/10 for climbing and pedalling efficiency which is pretty good considering it's primary aim is the other direction.

Agility and playfulness was something that I expected to be compromised by the longer and slacker geometry. The reviews suggest that this bird is more playful than you would expect with the numbers. Compared to my Stache I've added over 100mm of wheelbase, slackened the headtube by 2.5° (probably 3.5° when sagged), added 20mm to the chain stays and 40mm to the reach. There's probably an extra 1.5 kg or so in weight as well. These figures made a difference riding around on the street but I really haven't felt any of this on the trail at all. It was initially a bit harder to loft the front end over obstacles or lift the front end to set up for a drop but after 30 minutes on the trail I adjusted to the force needed and it made no difference any more. Bunny hopping was not a problem. The biggest difference is having to preload the suspension but that's any dually. 10/10!!

Cornering the AM9 was surprisingly good. The AM9 has a much longer and slacker geo than I was used to and took a moment to get into the groove but corners feel great. Flat corners feel like you can just lay the bike down and rail them. Tight uphill hairpins are surprisingly fine; I can tell that I am physically turning the bars a bit further but there is still a comfortable balanced feeling and the space between me and the bars means that it doesn't feel like you are about to over steer. Interestingly cornering with a bit of speed with the seat up doesn't seem to work as well, particularly between tight trees. I guess with the slack headtube you need to lean the bike over more. This is the only time I've found the bike feeling less than agile and isn't encountered on my usual rides. This is the only part that would make this bike noticeably less suitable for an XC race, but that is obviously not the point. 9/10 for cornering because It doesn't corner like an XC bike in the occasions you want it to.

Descending on this bike is more to the point and it nails the point. Between the geometry and the DVO suspension front and rear this bike feels so awesome and plush pointed down rough descents. While the bike feels awesomely stable I'd say it is more controlled as it is agile enough that I can still do what I want with it. The slack geometry and powerful brakes mean I can come into steep chunky descents with control and confidence I've never felt before. I've pushed it a lot harder than I have any other bike and I don't feel like I'm approaching it's limits. I've come hot into some sections and been thankful for how powerful the Magura brakes are and then after the first bit of chunk I am reminded how well the bike handles rough descents and I let the brakes off wishing I didn't touch them in the first place. I've borrowed and rented FS bikes enough times and know that the AM9 is an amazing descender. I will definitely be the weak link no matter how much better I get. 10+/10!!!

Jumps and Drops feel awesome. The Bird feels really comfortable in the air, kind of like it belongs in the air, like a bird... Seriously though it jumps really well. I'm usually pretty timid with hitting jumps if you need any significant speed to clear them but the Bird has me feeling very comfortable in the air. The last weekend I hit some awesome doubles at Kentlyn and was so psyched on the first jump that I followed my mate and nailed the rest of the set that I really didn't think I had the courage to do half of. It was an awesome feeling and I'm keen to go back and hit more of the bigger set. On the hardtail I used to limit drops to ~ handlebar height depending on how rough the landing is but the bird soaks up big drops and feels so stable in the air I feel like I can do anything. Even without any tokens in the shock the progressive linkage design means I never seem to bottom out even if I get very close. 10/10

Overall I'm psyched. I'm obviously still in the honeymoon period but F me it's been a good honeymoon. I wouldn't change a thing about it (except maybe getting around to shortening the steer tube and front brake line agian). 100/10!

Sorry, many of the rides have been before or after work meaning its too dark or I'm too rushed for photos. Weekend rides would have been good photo ops but I was busy riding instead. Next update will have a blurry photo with the bike half in the frame if you are lucky.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Hows about a long term update, mate ?
Probably about time!

The AM9 has been awesome. I haven't had any desires for a new bike since getting it. I would agree with all my comments from the last ride report. I haven't had any mechanical issues aside from a stem that wouldn't stop creaking.

Most of the riding I've done in the last year has been at local trails around Wollongong (Steep technical enduro and trail riding, more tech than flowy). and ~ 4 days at Bright in November. The bike has impressed me just about everywhere. I remember riding Mystic DH on a shuttle day at bright and being so impressed with how the bike and I rode it I went back for seconds even if it was the end of a long day and a mellow last run should have been in order. The geometry works really well in the steep and the awesome power and modulation of the Maguras makes you feel in complete control. I had a session with some mates swapping bikes as the 3 of us rode the same size. I came out of that very happy with my decision. One of the bikes I was riding was a near new Commencal Meta AM in the top spec; this was the other bike I was considering when I built up the bird. It rode well and even with the amazing spec I was much happier with the ride on my Bird.

Despite the long and slack geometry it is actually really playful when you want to throw it around. The progressive linkage design and the antisquat means it responds very quickly to pedaling or being thrown around. I can quite comfortably pull the bike up into a manual which surprised me (not much chance of keeping it there long but that's operator issues). I realised pretty quickly that you get used to what is required to maneuver a bike pretty quickly and extra length doesn't make much difference once you get used to it.

Climbing is impressive for an enduro bike. It is quite efficient when the shock fully open. I don't usually lock it out on the ~25min 250m vert road climb up to the top of some of the local trails. The steep seat tube seems to work well. It seems to put the seat in that position you naturally go to if you pedal standing off the seat.

What I would or did change
  • I've changed the stem as the Funn stem creaked a lot on me. It seemed every half dozen rides I'd have to strip it from the bike and clean all the surfaces or deal with constant creaking
  • I upped the dropper to 170 from 150 (and put the 150 on the hardtail). The steep seat tube angle seems to make you notice the seat a bit more if it isn't all the way down and out of the way. Even at 178cm tall I think I could probably put a 190 or 200mm dropper on this frame but 170 will do.
The Pros
  • Awesome handling and suspension platform for enduro style riding
  • The pedaling platform and progressive suspension makes it suitable for trail riding. It doesn't feel like a pig on mellower trails, technical climbs etc.
  • DVO Suspension has been great. It takes a bit of work to get it dialed in perfectly but once I got it there I've been psyched. Easy to maintain with their manuals as well
  • The 11spd XT drivetrain has worked perfectly. I got it to get something that runs well for a good price and am happy with the decision. I didn't want a low end 12 spd setup that makes me need to spend stupid money everytime I replace a cassette
The Cons
  • I have trouble going back to my hardtail I felt like I was going to loop out or go flying over the bars on every obstacle and I didn't feel comfortable pushing it nearly as hard as I used to. I'm tempted to buy a new hardtail frame with more similar geometry (Bird Zero 29 or a Cotic would be nice...)

LPG

likes thicc birds
Update from a couple years on.

I still love the bike. It has new suspension as of ~1 year ago. (Mezzer and marzocchi bomber) which work really well. I was happy with the dvo but I had a moment of panic when my topaz bladder blew a week or so before going on a riding trip and I saw the coil on gumtree so snapped it up so I wasn't left without a bike and kept it on as the coil works really well with the progressive suspension. The diamond is happily on my hardtail now.