James Williamson Enduro Challenge

Hi all,
Anyone racing the above-mentioned event this Sunday? Based on the rider list as at yesterday, there doesn't seem to be that many attending at this stage, still a few days away I suppose.
If you are racing it, have you checked out the course - is it a tough loop?
Sounds like a good event.
Cheers
C

dottyman

Likes Dirt
do it!

Its an awesome event, well run and a friendly vibe. Course is a nice mix of ffun non tech singletrack and fireroad with a couple of climbs. Suits hardtails and drains pretty well after the recent wet. Will be doing this for the 3rd year and it is one of my must do races inthe year. Oh and it funds a great cause too.

frensham

Likes Dirt
Willo's is an excellent race/ride. The only issue I have with it is that each loop is the same. I did the 75 km the first time but was over it after two laps. The 50 km last year was perfect. To it's credit the dreaded 'Wall' is avoided in this race (can't imagine the pain of doing it three times...) It's a good value race too. Organisation is excellent and spot prizes are many. Well worth the effort and the area is excellent riding.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Heading down in the morning - looks like a heap of people registered in the couple of days since this post was put up as numbers are well up on where they were a week ago.

First time for me...doing the 50k to keep the pedal to the metal the whole time. Haven't ridden the mountain bike in 3 months but have done a decent number of road k's the past 6 months so hoping the fitness will help!

Looking forward to it!

Eval

Squid
Great event..
Rode the 50 and finished up to my own expectations of 2hr30min - a quick first lap - a little longer on the second but finished strong.
Through the final single track I rounded up a bloke I had been chasing for 20kms.
Knocked 9 minutes off my 2012 effort. :becky:
Traction was king - felt like you could get the bike horizontal through the corners and it would stick.
There were some really quick Master riders on coarse.
Had no hassles while passing or being passed.
Sid Taberlay - what an awesome finish - man is a dude.

A big thanks to the organisers and ever cheerful volunteers.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
I got 6th in the 50km open...thought I did alright until I realised I was 12 minutes behind first place. Nuts. Definitely need more practice in the technical singletrack!

Lots of fun though, will definitely do it again next year.

Canbaroo

Likes Dirt
Well done to Meg and her crew!

Thank you and congratulations to the Willo Team [CORC and Southern Highlands club] led by Meg for another seamless event in honour of James Williamson. The single track was triple AAA rated after some pretty decent rainfall in the lead up weeks but it was perfectly drained and had awesome stick, not that my speed was too challenging.

-13 minutes [50k] over my 2012 time was further evidence of holding back the hands of time…:dance:

markusm

Likes Bikes
I got 6th in the 50km open...thought I did alright until I realised I was 12 minutes behind first place. Nuts. Definitely need more practice in the technical singletrack!

Lots of fun though, will definitely do it again next year.
Mate there's nothing wrong with that! Id be over the moon with that!

Another great SHCC event (thanks to CORC too :)

MTB Pilot

Likes Dirt
This was my first ever MTB event, and I'm certain I picked the best event to be my first. I never met Willo, but from what I've read and heard, the event would of made him very proud. Thanks to Meg, the two clubs, sponsors, volunteers and the other riders who made it such a great first time experience for me. I got to chat to Dylan Cooper after the event and really enjoyed the chat, his encouragement and advice.

I was particularly impressed with the Elite riders who past me in the singletrack at the back end of the loop. They gave plenty of notice they were coming, and each thanked me for getting out of their way. How they can do that, sound sincere, without puffing and still hammer past me, was amazing! They got a lot of respect from me, and when I spoke to Dylan after the event about this, he said the Elite riders really appreciate us making the effort to get out of the way for them.

This event was impressive for many reasons, but with the role models evident at this event, MTB is definitely a sport I'd love my ten year old son to be a part of. He loved watching his Dad in his first race, and was an important part of my pit crew. He was impressed with what he saw and that's important to me.

One moment that really was a great memory, was with some of the throw away prizes, my son was pipped to a prize that land in front of my son, but another kid was quicker to get to it. Without hesitation, and without being prompted by a parent, he turned to my son and handed him the prize, because he had already scored a few items earlier. The little guy was only about ten like my son, but it pretty much reflected the great vibe all day. Lots of people happy to be riding, looking after other people, who crashed out, or collapsed at the finish, welcoming new comers to the race scene like myself, and happy for the place getters at the presentations.

It was a great day out, and I learnt a lot in my first race. I loved it, and I'll be back at the event next year and doing some more racing before then.

rangie

Likes Dirt
MTBPilot,

Thats pretty awesome. Jimi would have been proud! That's what mtb is all about. Folks riding their bikes for fun and respecting one another. Hopefully your little one will be ot there next year with his dad!

Ride on.

markusm

Likes Bikes
This was my first ever MTB event, and I'm certain I picked the best event to be my first. I never met Willo, but from what I've read and heard, the event would of made him very proud. Thanks to Meg, the two clubs, sponsors, volunteers and the other riders who made it such a great first time experience for me. I got to chat to Dylan Cooper after the event and really enjoyed the chat, his encouragement and advice.

I was particularly impressed with the Elite riders who past me in the singletrack at the back end of the loop. They gave plenty of notice they were coming, and each thanked me for getting out of their way. How they can do that, sound sincere, without puffing and still hammer past me, was amazing! They got a lot of respect from me, and when I spoke to Dylan after the event about this, he said the Elite riders really appreciate us making the effort to get out of the way for them.

This event was impressive for many reasons, but with the role models evident at this event, MTB is definitely a sport I'd love my ten year old son to be a part of. He loved watching his Dad in his first race, and was an important part of my pit crew. He was impressed with what he saw and that's important to me.

One moment that really was a great memory, was with some of the throw away prizes, my son was pipped to a prize that land in front of my son, but another kid was quicker to get to it. Without hesitation, and without being prompted by a parent, he turned to my son and handed him the prize, because he had already scored a few items earlier. The little guy was only about ten like my son, but it pretty much reflected the great vibe all day. Lots of people happy to be riding, looking after other people, who crashed out, or collapsed at the finish, welcoming new comers to the race scene like myself, and happy for the place getters at the presentations.

It was a great day out, and I learnt a lot in my first race. I loved it, and I'll be back at the event next year and doing some more racing before then.
Very well said!

MTB Pilot

Likes Dirt
Thanks rangie and markusm! I'm still excited about the event and really happy to be involved in MTB with such great people all round. Awesome fun on bikes, and great people to share the passion with.

Machine

Likes Bikes

You sounded like the guy my wife and i were talking to at the finish line. Events like this are great for new comers very relax atmosphere. Elite guys in MTB are totally different to other sports they are just one of us.