Jolplin seat post info?

spyderman_au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does anyone have access to a manual on the Joplin seat post so I can rebuild it?

I need to know oil type, volume, and pressure.

I seem to have a leaking seal.

1. Yes I have searched!

2. No I don't want to send it to LBS as I am happy to do my own work but need to know a few things.

Thanks for your help.

grimzentide

Likes Dirt
From another forum
mine was sluggish to return to its top height also...called Crank Bros...technician said 70psi on both sides of the valve...so using shock pump, pump it up to 70psi, activate valve which will equalize pressure...pump it to 70 psi again and activate valve again..repeat untill 70 psi is equal on both sides of the valve.
From Crank Brothers
symptom: oil coming out of top thread ring or lower shrader valve
cause: Blown shrader valve
solution: Bad shrader valve can be replaced. Call for re-bleed instructions
field service: yes
tools: 10mm socket and shrader removal tool
parts: shrader valve

symptom: Oil coming out of top thread ring or lower shrader valve
cause: Broken guide block screw.
solution: Post will need to be returned to crankbrothers or service center for repair.
field service: no
tools: none
parts: none

symptom: Spongy at bottom of travel
cause: Air pocket trapped inside outer tube
solution: Unscrew thread ring, cycle post to bottom while the lever is activated. Release the lever when the post is at the bottom of its travel and retighten thread ring hand tight.

symptom: Spongy at bottom of travel
cause: Air mixed in with oil.
solution: Cycle post up and down slowly while lifting the lever or pushing on the joystick.

symptom: Post very sticky and slow to return
cause: Contaminated lubrication of bushings and guide block
solution: Pull off outer tube per instruction manual, clean with mild degreaser, re-grease with a light wheel bearing grease.
tools: 10mm socket
parts: light weight grease

symptom: Post very sticky and slow to return
cause: Seatpost clamp is too tight.
solution: Loosen seatpost clamp slightly.
field service: Yes
tools: Hex wrench 4, 5 or 6mm depending on seat collar.

symptom: Post will not stay up or down position, even after cycling a few times
cause: Main internal valve has broken. Check adjustment lever.
solution: Post will need to be returned to crankbrothers or service center for repair. Make sure that adjuster screw is not screwed in too far to hold in release rod.
field service: no

symptom: Seat clamp head will not tighten up properly
cause: No grease on bolt
solution: Remove all pieces of clamp assembly and clean. Grease bolt threads and inside of clamp fingers where they touch inside plates. Keep inside conical surfaces of black inner plates clean and grease free. Make sure to set all plates at position of saddle before tightening. Carbon past may be applied to the conical parts if needed as well.
tools: 5mm hex, grease
parts: Light weight grease "slick honey" type.

symptom: Seat has side to side play of more than 10 to 12mm play at the nose of the saddle.
cause: Lack of maintenance, worn guide block
solution: Grease guide block and bushing frequently, more under any adverse conditions. Post is meant to have minimal play which is (approximately 10-12mm play at nose of saddle) very difficult to detect while riding. Guide block is a wear item.
tools: T20 Torx
parts: #90449 guide block

muvro

Likes Dirt
They are really simple to overhaul. I had a really wet ride once and it simply stopped working.

Biggest thing to remember, de pressurise it before disassembly. ;) Oil sprays everywhere otherwise... LOL

Pulled it all down and it was full of water in the outer part.

I found a really good tutorial, after I had disassmebled it lol. But can't remember for the life of me where it was.

I used 7.5 weight fork oil. I also used Royal Purple extreme pressure grease around the shaft to help water proof it. It works a treat and never had any more probs in massively wet conditions. But it may take a couple of goes to get the pressure right. I had it equalised, but after a couple of rides it got lazy. A quick re pump and it's all sweet.

crampy

Likes Bikes
Is there anyone in Australia who can service a joplin or do you have to send them to the states?

nskz

Likes Dirt
The most important preventative maintenance solution on a Joplin seat post is to get an inner tube (small diameter XC ones work best), cut it to length so that is covers from below the dust wiper right to the top of the post. Slide it over the post and cable tie it in position at the top and the bottom. This will prevent 99.95% of the shit getting into the internals of the post as imo the dust wiper is pretty poor. It is also compounded by the fact that the seat post is in a position where a lot of shit gets flung up to it from the read wheel. I did the inner tube trick to mine the day I bought it and 6 months on it's still mint, absolutely zero dirt/water etc has got into the internals of the post.