JP Weigle's Frame Saver - sold in Australia?

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Basically what the title says... does anybody sell this stuff out here?

And on the topic of treating the inside of steel frames to prevent corrosion, has anybody used linseed oil?

Last edited:

JP

Likes Dirt
From an old issue of Mountain Bike Action, if I remember correctly, Richard Cunningham said that he used line oil (???) on the inside of the steel pipes of his aeroplane and on some steel bike frames. I'll try find it tonight.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Just if anybody searches for this topic down the road, I rustproofed my steel Salsa frame and forks this weekend using boiled linseed oil.

If anybody cares, I'll talk about the experience.

scblack

Leucocholic
I know cricket bats used to be cured with Linseed oil. That was British bats made from Willow tree.

A bit different to a steel frame. Interested to see how it turns out.

mhg

Likes Bikes
Just if anybody searches for this topic down the road, I rustproofed my steel Salsa frame and forks this weekend using boiled linseed oil.

If anybody cares, I'll talk about the experience.
Also for future reference. I searched long and hard for frame saver and found that folks in the US suggested that HDMP (Heavy Duty Metal Protector) was pretty much the same gear.

I managed to track some down here:

http://www.lubricationmanagement.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=65

I used it on my Niner ...nothing has dissolved yet :p

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Many (MANY) moons ago I used to race Bultaco motorcycles. Never forget the stench of fish when I opened one particular box containing a brand spanker. The factory had treated the inside of the frame with fish oil. Meow!

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fish oil is common in rust preventative circles. I recall my dad having fish oil on the panels in the inside of his van to prevent rust due to him carrying plants and thus having a rather humid environment in the back. The best reason I could see for treating the inside of a steel frame is due to having the small pressure relieving holes drilled in parts of the frame prior to welding. These are rarely covered up once the frame is finished and is an obvious entry point for water.

muvro

Likes Dirt
A lanolin based product would be really good.

However, the best stuff to use would be proper Rust proofing, or cavity wax as it's commonly known these days. Fishoil is a thing of the past. It is effective, but technology has well and truly made fishoil redundant.

If you know someone that buys Wurth products (not available retail through any shops) Get them to get you some of thier cavity wax. There are two types, a aerosol type that is a bit thinner and would be the one I would recommend and it also comes with a thin tube perfect for squirting down tubes etc and being thinner it's better for not adding too much extra weight.

They also sell 1L tins for use in thier sprayguns. This is a bit thicker and intended for large rust proofing jobs. But unless you have one of the specal guns you can't apply it.

The Wurth cavity waxs are by far the best products I've ever used!

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Some sort of product that works in an aerosol spray can would have definitely made the process easier.
I simply had a 1L bottle of the stuff (boiled linseed oil) and a syringe the local chemist was nice enough to give to me for free.

What started out as a methodical, clean, well-thought out approach on the bike stand in the garage, soon deteriorated into me eventually pouring the goopy mess into the frame with it dripping and flying everywhere as I stood out on the street in the gutter. :eek:

I'm pretty sure I did a very thorough job, but wow... that turned out to be more of a job than I expected.

Still drying the frame right now, alternating hanging positions/orientations to make sure it all drips out and it dries evenly.

Fish oil, eh? I wonder how that smell compared with linseed's oil smell (which wasn't terrible, but definitely noticeable).

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fish oil is horrible. You don't want to play with it ;)
Once I accidentally cooked with linseed oil :eek: Small jar of it in the fridge which I mistook for canola, that was an interesting taste.

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Guys - bulk gravedig here - but I am looking for the JP Weigle's Frame Saver. I'm restoring my Niner, and also have a Spot to treat - anyone been able to source this stuff?

There are a few other product recommendations out there - Wurth's Cavity Wax and also Valvoline Tectyl 506 - but looking the product recommended by Niner:

"Niner Bikes STRONGLY recommends that you apply Frame Saver® to
your new steel frame. Please follow the manufacture recommendations
for application. You may see some rust within the frame already; this is
only minor and not cause for alarm, hysterics, or nights of lost sleep.
After installing the Frame Saver® all will be good again. We would have
installed Frame Saver® prior to shipping but it is a combustible material
and would require us to have to change our storage facility to meet the
ventilation needs set forth by the city. We would also have to substantially
increase the shipping costs to you due to the increased packaging required
by Federal Law. Following is an article by Peter Weigle re-printed with
permission:
"

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Linsead oil has many purposes, I never knew it was used for rust prevention
Yes well technically any oil will do the job in a rough sense, but there are no chemicals in there for them set on the steel, so potentially get washed out next time I ride through a creek etc etc etc...

0psi

Eats Squid
Digging graves like a boss.

People still recommending Frame Saver for treating steel frames or are there easier/better alternatives around these days?
Looking to get a Surly Krampus and apparently the frame needs treating.

chrischris

Likes Dirt
hmmmm

The 'Niner Encyclopaedia' recommended Frame Saver for my SIR9, so I did some ringing around & nobody had heard of it.
I rang Rowney Sports (who used to be the Aus distributor for Niner) & they hadn't heard of it.
I emailed Niner in the US to ask about it. Can you guess the reply I got? yep - they'd never heard of it either. Hilarious!

Long story short, after chatting to many people with more knowledge than me, I discovered that there are many options to treat a steel frame. Lanotec is the best option as it's long lasting, and easy to apply with a spray can application. It's also easy to find at Supa-cheap-auto kind of stores.