Juicy 5 Lever + Code Caliper = ?

Xmetal

Give this man a job, we want pics!
Got a question for the stopper scientists among us:

Is it possible to run a Juicy 5 Lever with a Code Caliper?

Has anyone here done it before?

Is it beneficial?

I'm toying with the idea of running a Code caliper on the front and retaining the standard Juicy 5 brake system on the rear however I don't like the look of 'odd socks' levers on handlebars. The idea came to me after talking to a few mates that own R32 and R33 Skyline GTR's - I had the bike with me one night and they were quizzing me on how hydraulic brakes work on DH rig as opposed to a car. One of them then asked me why the bike had the same sized calipers at both ends... Then came the idea of running a 4 pot Code on the front with a standard 2 pot Juicy 5 on the rear.

Same set up as a car. :)

Thanks in advance. :)

flyracing

Likes Dirt
Yep, loads of people run a juicy lever with code calliper. Most people do it for the braking power of the 4pot codes but having the lighter levers.

Toff

Likes Dirt
Indeed it is possible, just swap the levers out and re-bleed it and you're good to go. I think Rod (No_Skid_Marks) has the same or similar setup.

I've got a similar query for the tech heads among us. I have a Grimeca 4 pot rear brake, and as much as I like the caliper (it bolts strait onto the frame without the need for an adapter), the lever is hideous and feels pretty shite.

Now, I have a Juicy 3 lever sitting around doing nothing, and I wondered if they could be made into a sort of franken-brake? Could different cylinder/ piston sizes prevent it from working?

(Sorry for the thread hijack Xmetal, figured since you've got your answer its open for the taking :p)

Xmetal

Give this man a job, we want pics!
I do believe that the Code 5 is just that, Juicy 5 lever onto a code caliper.
Yeah this is what I was thinking, I'm guessing that the master cylinder and other parts inside the lever housings are the same I just wasn't sure if it would be different or not because it's pushing double the amount of pistons in the caliper.

This is good! :)

*goes off to find a silver Code caliper*

udi

swiss cheese
Toff -
It's your lucky day - I think I'm one of the rare few with the answer to that question.

It depends which Grimeca 4-pot you have. If you have the System8 (same slave piston sizes as old XT 4pot), the stock master cylinder piston is 9mm in diameter which is smaller than the m/c piston in the juicy lever (which is 9.5mm in diameter). The larger m/c piston in the juicy lever will result in a lower hydraulic leverage ratio, which will generate less braking power.

On the other hand if you have the System12 brake (much rarer, and more powerful), the stock master cylinder piston is 10mm, and therefore using it with the 9.5mm juicy lever will result in greater hydraulic leverage and more power, at the cost of a slightly longer lever throw.

Hope that helps... at the end of the day, you can just try it and see what you think either way, they both use dot fluid so provided you match up the fittings in some appropriate way, there won't be any harm done.

Last edited:

Toff

Likes Dirt
Thanks a bunch for that udi, I must have asked that question about three times on here now with no answers.

I'm pretty sure I've got the system 8 (actually, I've got three and a half), They use the same pads as XT's and look identical (save for the final finish).

I'll try it out, I mean, what could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes: