Junior Development - MTB Club or Similar

nathanm

Eats Squid
I've taken on a role as junior development manager for the local club.
Given my limited background I'm asking for help and guidance from the RB community as to what has worked and hasn't worked for other clubs, groups etc.
Hoping to adopt more of a best practice approach as opposed to reinventing the wheel so any advice, plans or programs would be appreciated.
Feel free to pm or can provide email.

moorey

call me Mia
I started a junior group about 14 years ago. Started as an informal way to entertain a couple of kids before their parents XC crits.
Evolved over the years to a very structured weekly skills and fitness session (over the DSL period) called Dirt Critters where it’s now capped at 100 kids a term, spilt into 10 groups of 10 kids based on age/skill with 2 leaders per group, most with at least basic coaching tickets.
For ease of compliance and insurance/liability it’s now all run through AusCycling as part of the MTB club I’m part of the committee of.
Kids must be AusCycling members to take the risk off us. Leaders have WWCC and carry first aid kits. The world has changed in the last decade. Make sure you cover your and everyone’s arses. Cost is $20 per term, which all goes into fruit for after the sessions and end of term pizza/BBQ.

The most important thing though, make it fun, mix it up, and try to change around your location and activities. Skills are important to learn but if they aren’t having fun also, you’ll lose them. We have 3 different venues we move around. We restrict it from ages 4-14. Older kids can choose to stay on and assist with the groups. Many kids do it purely for the social side, plenty get the bug and race as part of our junior DH event (Mini Muddies) ran last month, and move onto (or additionally) the main ClubMud King of Ballarat series, Round 1 was the weekend just passed. We had like 10% of the field racing u13 and about 25% of the field entered as u15. The Junior racing scene is HUUUGE in Vic, assume it’s the same most places.
Also, obviously, make it inclusive. Close to 1/3 of the Dirt Critters are girls, and they love it. Many have gone onto racing club, state and national DH events after moving through the program.
I’d direct you to the FB page, but for obvious reasons, it’s private. I’ve moved on from it this year, with other MTB club duties taking my time up too much, but really miss it and the sessions.
IMG_0376.jpeg

moorey

call me Mia
Some clips from MiniMuddies last year. Just because I love seeing these kids having a blast.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I've taken on a role as junior development manager for the local club.
Given my limited background I'm asking for help and guidance from the RB community as to what has worked and hasn't worked for other clubs, groups etc.
Hoping to adopt more of a best practice approach as opposed to reinventing the wheel so any advice, plans or programs would be appreciated.
Feel free to pm or can provide email.
You don't feel like moving up to the northwest coast do you? :p
I've been looking for someone to do this role for ages. I'd do it myself but I can't do everything unfortunately.:(

Seriously, good on you, it's the future of our sport and it get families involved and that helps with community engagement and brings more people into possible roles in mountain biking.

moorey

call me Mia
Additionally, and partly related, we also do a Junior Development Program through ClubMud. Any u17 riders who aren’t already supported/sponsored can apply. Aimed at attitude/enthusiasm more than ‘up and coming’ or established podium contenders.
We provide special club kit including 2 jerseys and 2 pairs of shorts/pants, we pay their entry for the state DH rounds and club races, and give priority on club organized accommodation where applicable for the 12 month/race season.
We don’t currently have a coach (hoping to find one), but pair the kids up with established and experienced club riders for practice and chaperoning on race days if needed.
Another advantage of running your program through an established club if not already.
IMG_0382.jpeg

nathanm

Eats Squid
@moorey have you or the club produced any literature in regards to these programs. I'd be very interested in reading and adopting a pre-produced plan.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
I'm still waiting on a blue card from my local club so I can help out with kids MTB events. There's so much buzz off the back of Crankworx so it's important to keep building off that.
Update: I just got my blue card approved!

moorey

call me Mia
@moorey have you or the club produced any literature in regards to these programs. I'd be very interested in reading and adopting a pre-produced plan.
Just had a look on our shared drive, no useful info on the DC’s other than permits/WWCC and rego lists.
Got a copy on the info for the ClubMud junior development application and code of conduct if you wanted, but probably a bit far off to work about that. We also shared it with the awesome Inside Line SA crew to use and implement with their juniors.

moorey

call me Mia
I could ask if the Dirt Critter crew are happy for me to add you to the private FB group for a look through, but probably not a lot of use.
The ClubMud public FB page has some stuff on JD’s if you trawl back far enough past my 5000 recent posts about race series info and track closures.