Just about ready to give up on cane creek. Dbair stuck down

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Hey brains trust!

Any chance any of you know how to release the air from the negative chamber in my cane creek dbair? I bought another used one, it travelled around the world (that's another story!), I installed it, pumped it up, and after cycling it a few times it's done gone and stuck down.

I've tried pumping it up as far as 200 and trying to pull it out but it just keeps doing the same thing.

I know you can slip a cable tie down the seal on some forks to great effect, but something tells me that trick won't work here.

Interwebs tells me I need to send it in for servicing, I don't wanna

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Can’t find a photo easily.

Use an automotive trolley jack. Zip tie or fencing wire the shock to the axle and the arm. Remove the valve core from the shock, using the trolley jack, cycle the shock backwards and forwards over the equalisation notch.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
RighteO then, sounds straightforward enough. Not sure on the zip ties though, how many strongs are they rated to?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Pull the valve core out. Use the mounting hardware so nothing touches the shock eyelets directly.

I’ll try and find the photo in the morning

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
awesome. now to look at the damper rods condition. you have some form here
Lol, much lol. No, I haven't had a chance to break this one, haven't used it yet.

I've got a new damper shaft for the stuffed one tho, you feel like fixing it for me?

Isildur

The Real Pedant
That's freaking awesome! Lots of chuckles as it got serious, but now if and when my DB Inline sticks down I know how to get it sorted. Megathanks for being a crash test dummy!

slowmick

38-39"
I let the air out of mine to ship it and sucked in like that. NSD are not going to like me. Or it is going to be very expensive to fix.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
So it turns out bouncing it up and down 7 times in the backyard doesn't equal the stresses it undergoes in the real world, what gives bounce test?!

It's still sucking down, but it seems I'm able to use my immense hulk-like upper body strength (lol) to pull the shock back to its correct position on the trail. Turns out not filling it with more air helps a lot so lesson learned there. This is a real bummer because otherwise the shock feels great. It even feels great with half the travel, but the geo isnt ideal for a trail bike and I've had more pedal strikes this morning than I have in 10 years.

@link1896 - any chance you know if this is a user serviceable seal issue? I'd really prefer to avoid sending an otherwise good shock in for service.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Found out what the problem was, gunk in the negative side that stopped it from eqaulizing properly. Pulled down one side and cleaned it, went to pull down the other side and put pressure where I shouldn't have

Well fuck

I didn't mind breaking one while riding, that's acceptable. Breaking one on the workbench is entirely shit though.