just putting it out there

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
that Spesh will put out a 'mid year' release of 650b bikes for '13, Epic, Camber, Stumpy, Enduro

Damienp

Likes Dirt
Agreed!

Thinking of grabbing some new wheels and fork to check it all out. The rumored Blur LTc 650 is sounding rather appealing.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
650 is the way of the future.

fence sitters will be trying to rider 625 or 675. c'mon guys, make up your minds!

I think it could be good, if the theory of being a good middle ground holds true - does it really give the best of both worlds, or is it the compromises of both worlds?

moorey

call me Mia
I still don't see it ever being the standard for DH, DJ, 4X etc, but for XC, trail and AM, I'm NOT aginnit!!!. Just wish MY 650b frame actually fitted a 560 wheel in...Yes, i'm looking at YOU, Haro:smash:

Old C

Likes Bikes
Why compromise? I find that you should have a 26 for the tight short sharp tracks, and a 29er for most of the race tracks that tend to be open and long and occasionally rough. Choose the bike that suits. Simple physics; 26 accellerates harder and turns faster; 29er rolls over obstacles more easily and therefore slows down less on rough surfaces. With that in mind, have one of each in the stable, and choose.

digitalhippie

Likes Dirt
Pretty cool that guys have been running 650b mods on their 26" bikes for quite a while now, and that it's even possible. Here's a pic of a guys Mojo HD set up as a 650b running 140mm travel. Rear triangle clearance isn't huge as you'd expect but adequate.

Will be interesting to see how the 26/650b/29 stuff plays out, especially the marketing stuff from bike companies. Generally speaking could we end up with this kind of view of the world? 26/downhill, 27.5 trail/AM, 29 XC?

mojohd140-650b.jpg

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
29er rolls over obstacles more easily .
You have no idea how irate that commonly used line makes me. To this day I can see no other point that is used to sell a 29 inch wheeled bike. Is it the bike or the rider that clears the obstacle?
I hope the 650 range will look a little more appealing than the out of whack 29er stuff.

muvro

Likes Dirt
Pretty cool that guys have been running 650b mods on their 26" bikes for quite a while now, and that it's even possible. Here's a pic of a guys Mojo HD set up as a 650b running 140mm travel. Rear triangle clearance isn't huge as you'd expect but adequate.

Will be interesting to see how the 26/650b/29 stuff plays out, especially the marketing stuff from bike companies. Generally speaking could we end up with this kind of view of the world? 26/downhill, 27.5 trail/AM, 29 XC?

View attachment 243851
Interesting!

Might have to investigate the possibility of doing that to my Rush.

muvro

Likes Dirt
Sweet, thanks. I use my Rush for XC Enduro and can openly see the benifits of 29, but I love the way my bike handles. If I could incorporate my bike with larger wheels, it may just be the compramise I'm after. Cheers for the heads up. :)

bserk

Likes Dirt
Guess we won't know if it's a good compromise til we ride one consistently... I do hate feeling like I'm 'sitting on top' of a 29er. If that makes sense.

niki125

Likes Dirt
You have no idea how irate that commonly used line makes me. To this day I can see no other point that is used to sell a 29 inch wheeled bike. Is it the bike or the rider that clears the obstacle?
I hope the 650 range will look a little more appealing than the out of whack 29er stuff.
Why so IRATE?? It's simple physics really. Go up to a square edge like a step and try push a 26" wheel up it then try the same with a 29" wheel. The difference is pretty apparent.
I like the way 650 is going, wouldn't even be surprised if in a few years half the riders on the WC DH circuit are rocking it...

Yarrahappinni

Likes Dirt
I think Specialized will not "follow" Scott, rather put more energy into 29er's. Scott are doing for (Jamis) 650b what Gary Fisher/Trek did for 29er's. As for the discussion of wheel size (again) the simple answer is ride more and your current rig (probably a 26") will bring you better results not a marketing ploy to get you to buy a new "standard".

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I'm hoping most companies will just offer different drop outs, and sell both with the bikes/frames, so you can choose between 26 or 27.5 and still have the correct BB height, head angle, and chain stay lengths.

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
I think Specialized will not "follow" Scott, rather put more energy into 29er's. Scott are doing for (Jamis) 650b what Gary Fisher/Trek did for 29er's. As for the discussion of wheel size (again) the simple answer is ride more and your current rig (probably a 26") will bring you better results not a marketing ploy to get you to buy a new "standard".
Yarra, i've picked your quote for no particular reason other than it's the closest

650b/27.5" isn't a new standard or marketing ploy exactly, it's a development of an old wheel size
it's important to remember that the 26" wheel is actually a compromise, it was made (from a road rim, rolled to a smaller size) because of the ready availability of 26" tyres atthe time, when the MTB industry was very small.

I've riden a 29er a lot lately, there are pros and cons. Overall i prefer 26", however, i'm keen to try 27.5"

MrCove

South Shore Distribution

View attachment 243851
650b wheels look good, unlike the awful red cable outers, and a personal hate of mine, a long cage rear mech.
bb a touch high?
what forks?

floody

Wheel size expert
2 different wheel sizes is borderline, three is ridiculous especially when it so neatly splits the difference.
All wider adoption of 650B will do is push up costs. We all lose in the end.

I suspect that, after the zombie apocalypse, those of us left will mostly be riding 26".

FWIW...
I still say when I can't roll over trail obstacles on 26" wheels, I will quit riding; however, I will say that as much as you can compare apples with apples, 29ers do have the potential of a LOT more traction. Back to back on Vapour 29 and Torrent, the Vapour 29 could be smashed into turns just as hard ...only it was wearing 2.3 slant sixs vs 2.5 nevegals. This, combined with the fact that you no longer feel perched on a tall horse aboard most newer 29ers, was quite an eye opener.

Last edited: