Food/Diet Ketosis Diet Advice

Ray1

Squid
Hey guys,
I'm looking at going back on a Keto diet, and am stuck for what to eat to full-fill my daily nutritional requirements.
Im 173cm tall, 63kg's and 15% bf. Im looking at gaining muscle while not over-consuming on carbs.

this is my apparent reconmended daily intake.

2005 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
25 g Carbohydrates (5%)
105 g Protein (21%)
165 g Fat (74%)

sound right for my age/weight/height/bf%?

I'm just basically in need of a diet meal plan, that suits these^^ to run off as a day by day meal plan.
Cheers

Zam

Likes Dirt
For a bulking keto diet it looks a little light on for Cal's, check out Lyle McDonald's website http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/ for some awesome information.

Although in saying this I find it harder to bulk with such low carbs, this is not to say it can't be done, just I find it a lot harder, and really at your he eight and weight you should not need a keto diet, maybe look at starting your bulk on something like 40/40/20, protein, carbs, fats, work out your maintenance Cal's and then add 500 Cal's on top of that, give it a go for a 4 week period and see how you go.

Ray1

Squid
For a bulking keto diet it looks a little light on for Cal's, check out Lyle McDonald's website http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/ for some awesome information.

Although in saying this I find it harder to bulk with such low carbs, this is not to say it can't be done, just I find it a lot harder, and really at your he eight and weight you should not need a keto diet, maybe look at starting your bulk on something like 40/40/20, protein, carbs, fats, work out your maintenance Cal's and then add 500 Cal's on top of that, give it a go for a 4 week period and see how you go.
thanks for the info.
I recently tried a bulk (last month) 50p/30f/20c and 1300cals, 1800 on workout days. i found i put on a fair bit of weigh, but hardly (if any) muscle. I'm so used to keto, that i couldn't see myself eating a bowl of pasta or slice of bread anytime soon.

I'm thinking of trying a TKD (Targeted Keto Diet) and see where that takes me, though, even that involves a 2 day "carb-up" once a week.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
1800 cal is NOTHING, especially for a workout day. That's less than what I eat when cutting at over 1kg a week. I don't know enough about keto diets to properly comment but 165g/day of fat is huge, that is over a kilo of fat/week!

You sound like you'd have absolutely no trouble dropping a few kg of fat post bulk, so if it were me I'd be raising daily calories significantly (eating carbs and aiming to push it up to ~2600 over a period of a few weeks) and hitting the big compound lifts. You don't need to get your carbs from refined sources like pasta or bread either, I get most of mine from fruit, veg (carrots, potato, sweet potato etc), oats and some rice.

What does your workout plan look like?

Ray1

Squid
1800 cal is NOTHING, especially for a workout day. That's less than what I eat when cutting at over 1kg a week. I don't know enough about keto diets to properly comment but 165g/day of fat is huge, that is over a kilo of fat/week!

You sound like you'd have absolutely no trouble dropping a few kg of fat post bulk, so if it were me I'd be raising daily calories significantly (eating carbs and aiming to push it up to ~2600 over a period of a few weeks) and hitting the big compound lifts. You don't need to get your carbs from refined sources like pasta or bread either, I get most of mine from fruit, veg (carrots, potato, sweet potato etc), oats and some rice.

What does your workout plan look like?
Monday: shoulders/traps
Tuesday: back/legs
Wednesday: abs
Thursday: legs:
Friday: 40+ km ride
Saturday: biceps/triceps
Sunday: 60+ km ride

I don't really want to loose anymore weight (body fat), I'd rather just gain alot of muscle at this stage. As I said, I tried a clean bulk and I put on a fair bit of body fat.

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't know enough about keto diets to properly comment but 165g/day of fat is huge, that is over a kilo of fat/week!
I don't mean to be rude, but its very clear. Keto diets aim to reduce body glycogen levels so that body fat is the main energy source. This is done by removing carbohydrate as a macronutrient. When you do this fat and protein become your key macronutrients. The increase in fat consumption is a non-issue if you read into it. Also, this doesn't mean shitty fats, like going and eating a heap of processed rubbish (Maccas) but fats such as those in meat, avocados, nuts etc. Nothing wrong with them!

If you don't understand human ketosis then it's probably better not to comment - the thread title is "ketosis diet advice" after all. I do not intend to be rude, just matter-of-fact.

Last edited:

burkie

Likes Bikes
+1 for Lyle McDonald "The Ketogenic Diet"

Dr. Mauro DiPasquale has a book called "The Anabolic Diet" which is basically keto weekdays and carbs on weekends.

I've never put either of these diets into strict practice but they are along the lines of what you are after.

Ray1

Squid
+1 for Lyle McDonald "The Ketogenic Diet"

Dr. Mauro DiPasquale has a book called "The Anabolic Diet" which is basically keto weekdays and carbs on weekends.

I've never put either of these diets into strict practice but they are along the lines of what you are after.
Thanks for the advice.

Todays eatings: (for those who care)
Breakfast:
3 Egg omelet with spinach and cheese (im not sure what it was called, but it had 0.1g carbs.
Lunch:
66g (can) of tuna, with mayo and 2 hard boiled eggs (all mixed togeather). Begining to really like this meal!
Afternoon tea:
15g Green&Blacks dark chocolate egg, 10.5g fat, 4g carbs. (SO GOOD)
Dinner:
130g Steak, Spinach and soy sauce.
66g (can) of tuna, with mayo.

Ive been doubling up on mayo with suitable meals, to purely get sufficient calories and fats in. I read someones post on the bodybuilding forum, saying, to reach your calories, just double your serving size, but surly that would throw your proteins/fats out of whack?

I'm really struggling to get a suitable amount of calories in per day. Next week (week 2) would it be ok to introduce protein shakes after my workout? 500cals, 7g fat, 2g sugar and only 4carbs? And just continue with my current eating plan (or there abouts).

Thanks for the advice guys!

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't mean to be rude, but its very clear. Keto diets aim to reduce body glycogen levels so that body fat is the main energy source. This is done by removing carbohydrate as a macronutrient. When you do this fat and protein become your key macronutrients. The increase in fat consumption is a non-issue if you read into it. Also, this doesn't mean shitty fats, like going and eating a heap of processed rubbish (Maccas) but fats such as those in meat, avocados, nuts etc. Nothing wrong with them!

If you don't understand human ketosis then it's probably better not to comment - the thread title is "ketosis diet advice" after all. I do not intend to be rude, just matter-of-fact.
I've read a good deal of the pseudo science available online, some real science and lived with a guy who followed a very strict keto diet (he had good results but i suspect with the deidcation required he could have got the same results in a multitude of ways). I'd consider myself to have a better understanding than most but have never tried it myself as it seems like too much work to do well.

Back to the original intention of my post. I'm not saying 165g of fat is or isn't healthy or that it isn't correct for a keto diet, but it is hard to eat in a healthy way. That is pretty obvious when the guy is getting 25% of his daily fat intake from mayonnaise. That meal plan also looks to have little regard for micro nutrient requirements. That is based on his 1800 cal/day, which I still maintain is not viable for bulking. The thread may be titled "ketosis diet advice" but the question was about bulking. Unless he is following a keto diet for other reasons (seizure suppression, allergies or intolerances) I think it is far from the ideal way to bulk with that kind of body composition.

Last edited:

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thanks for the info.
I recently tried a bulk (last month) 50p/30f/20c and 1300cals, 1800 on workout days. i found i put on a fair bit of weigh, but hardly (if any) muscle. I'm so used to keto, that i couldn't see myself eating a bowl of pasta or slice of bread anytime soon.

I'm thinking of trying a TKD (Targeted Keto Diet) and see where that takes me, though, even that involves a 2 day "carb-up" once a week.
You're confused between targetted and cyclic here. Targetted aims to inject your muscles with glycogen before work outs in an attempt to give you more burst strength. This is done by small carb intake before each workout. Cyclic is a once per week load to sustain you throughout the week. You cannot bulk by eating 1300/1800 calories if your maintenance is 2000. If you average less calories than you use then you'll lose weight. You cannot build muscle while losing weight. Won't happen. This is why body builders go through phases - anabolic and catabolic states - in order to gradually build muscle over time. It's hard to do both unless you're super dedicated. You can try to give your body time to switch between the two each day (this is what the leangains methodology aims to do via intermittent fasting).

Thanks for the advice.

Todays eatings: (for those who care)
Breakfast:
3 Egg omelet with spinach and cheese (im not sure what it was called, but it had 0.1g carbs.
Lunch:
66g (can) of tuna, with mayo and 2 hard boiled eggs (all mixed togeather). Begining to really like this meal!
Afternoon tea:
15g Green&Blacks dark chocolate egg, 10.5g fat, 4g carbs. (SO GOOD)
Dinner:
130g Steak, Spinach and soy sauce.
66g (can) of tuna, with mayo.

Ive been doubling up on mayo with suitable meals, to purely get sufficient calories and fats in. I read someones post on the bodybuilding forum, saying, to reach your calories, just double your serving size, but surly that would throw your proteins/fats out of whack?

I'm really struggling to get a suitable amount of calories in per day. Next week (week 2) would it be ok to introduce protein shakes after my workout? 500cals, 7g fat, 2g sugar and only 4carbs? And just continue with my current eating plan (or there abouts).

Thanks for the advice guys!
Spinach is pretty good for getting heaps of nutrients in, depending on how much you are eating. Personally I would try and get more variety in there. Chicken, nuts, avocado, broccoli, asparagus, capsicum, cauliflower, fish and so on, there are heaps of good foods out there! I also use butter for cooking and cream for coffee etc. You make make a lot of different foots out of almond meal/flaxseed meal or other keto-friendly substitutes. If you're interested PM me and I'll link give you access to one of my OneNote files with recipes and shopping lists I compiled ages ago (really need a spark of motivation to get using them again).

I try to avoid processed foods these days. Basically if it has a long ingredients list or doesn't expire really quick (e.g. processed foods) I try to avoid it.

You can use tools like MyFitnessPal (if you have a smart phone there is likely an app) to work keep track of what you are getting into yourself. On a keto diet you want to watch your electrolyte intake - magnesium, sodium and potassium.

Not to be judgemental, but if you're feeling that rediculously full that you can't eat more after 1300 calories living an active lifestyle try and give yourself a reality check. If you rapidly lose weight it can consume you; your mind narrows and its all you want. Try to keep in touch with your body. The keto diet is pretty suppressive of hunger as it suppresses your body's natural dopamine spike with respect to carbohydrates, but being unable to eat more after 1300 is odd at the least.

I've read a good deal of the pseudo science available online, some real science and lived with a guy who followed a very strict keto diet (he had good results but i suspect with the deidcation required he could have got the same results in a multitude of ways). I'd consider myself to have a better understanding than most but have never tried it myself as it seems like too much work to do well.
You sound like a typical disapproving sideliner; negative and judgmental. Everyone who's tried to tell me that they understand the ins and outs of ketosis and "knows better about it" have been horribly misinformed. Of course their are a stack of ways to be healthy and reach body and diet goals. Keto is one of these many, granted, but it's not any less legitimate or effective.

What many people who haven't tried a paleo/keto diet don't understand is some people actually feel better on it and want to maintain it for reasons other than weight loss.

Back to the original intention of my post. I'm not saying 165g of fat is or isn't healthy or that it isn't correct for a keto diet, but it is hard to eat in a healthy way. That is pretty obvious when the guy is getting 25% of his daily fat intake from mayonnaise. That meal plan also looks to have little regard for micro nutrient requirements. That is based on his 1800 cal/day, which I still maintain is not viable for bulking. The thread may be titled "ketosis diet advice" but the question was about bulking. Unless he is following a keto diet for other reasons (seizure suppression, allergies or intolerances) I think it is far from the ideal way to bulk with that kind of body composition.
This has a little more merit. Home made mayo is pretty good, processed crap from a store isn't great. I agree that 1800 is impossible to bulk on, as above, yet bulking on keto is 100% viable.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Back to the original intention of my post. I'm not saying 165g of fat is or isn't healthy or that it isn't correct for a keto diet, but it is hard to eat in a healthy way.
If you won't say it I will - that much fat intake per day is freakin idiotic. and you're spot on Joel, how the hell does one eat healthily when the diet requires you to carefully choose what fruits and vegetables contain (minimal) carbohydrates?

Ketogenic diets, the evidence for diabetes and particularly epilepsy is good. The evidence for short term weight loss is sparse - it appears to work. The evidence for health and long term weight loss is non existent - as there is not a single longitudinal study on the topic. But high fat intakes have been shown to predict heart disease - particularly atherosclerosis.

There is a lot of stuff on the net about ketogenic diets, written mostly by clueless fools (I had a look - pseudoscience galore). Considering the World Health Orgonisation, National Health Institute and Austalia' own dept. Health and Aging do not endorse this diet, with the guidelines being written by and peer reviewed by experts (typically professors and research institutes) I personally won't be giving it a go - I prefer a well balance diet, consisting and fresh fruit and veg (even the high carb ones) meats and cereals. The only good thing I can see about this diet is if you can stick to it it wipes out sweets and processed white bread.... etc.

Am I a disapproving sideliner; negative and judgemental BigHair? Yeap I certainly am, but as part of my professional registration I promised to do no harm, which includes using non-scientifically proven methods and spreading misinformation to people who pay me to look after their health.

Monday: shoulders/traps
Tuesday: back/legs
Wednesday: abs
Thursday: legs:
Friday: 40+ km ride
Saturday: biceps/triceps
Sunday: 60+ km ride

Program is a shocker, you train your shoulders prior to back day...., you have a day for pointless bi's/tri's, no chest day, training legs 48 hours apart not enough rest, 40km ride day after legs - concurrent training results in legs are not going to get stronger - larger. You also can't bulk if you are eating a LOT and riding regularly will attenuate strength training adaptations.

Just go for a full body x2 per week program, you'll get more out of it.

driftking

Wheel size expert
MWI covered it pretty well.
I hate ketonic diets for a general "wayoflife" diet they are really not great in my opinion. They have some merit in some areas but as a general diet it's not the way I would go.

On the fat topic I don't see 160grams of fat a day bad as long as those fats come from proper sources. I haven't been able to find any studies that say monounsaturated fat overconsumption does damage to the heart. If anyone has one I'm curious to read it.
In terms of calories yes it's not ideal by if it fits your daily calories and macros the calories aren't a concern.

Because of my high calories I eat about 120grams of fat a day but aim for most of that to be monounsaturated and much less to be polyunsaturated with a good omega balance if possible. While minimizing saturated fats as much as possible. The Mediterranean diet is a highest diet that is associated with lower CAD risk. high carb seem to be a pretty big factor and sugar as well. I subscribe to a moderate carb intake that should be plant based. No crap carbs. Except on occasions.

If anyone has studies on unsaturated fat Intake and heart health that shows a negative correlation where omega ratio is good I'd like to see it. Mos unsaturated fat diets are too high in polyunsaturated and tend to have a wacked out omega ratio.

That shake 500calories 7g fat 4g carbs that's 423calories from protien which is 105grams.
That's a massive load in one meal and irrelevent to be honest, if you want to hit high protein your better off splitting is through out the day. More protien doesn't always mean results, your body can only process a certain amount.

Think of your body like a conveyer belt with workers to break down the food.
If you eat regurly the flow of nutrients is easily processed and continual with little waste and spillage
If you dump a massive meal at once down that belt the workers will break down as much as they can but they have limits and food gets past unprocessed (fat storage) or falls off the side (waste)

Yes this is a grossly simple example but it give an idea.

Last edited: