Kid's Bikes?

b_star

Likes Bikes
Hey All,

Now buying a bike hasn't normally been something I have struggled with... it is normally either finding the money or deciding which forks would go best that I ponder.

But I am looking to buy my Two year old a bike for Christmas, and I really don't know what to do. i checked the Santa Cruz site and they don't have anything small enough so now I'm stumped!

Do any of you Dad's out there have any ideas? I don't feel I need to spent too much, but don't want something totally crap either.

Any one know of any second hand bikes around?

Thanks in advance.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Since you mentioned Santa Cruz I guess your not to worried about price. Many big brands do make kids bikes but Im not sure about one for two year olds. There's Specialized P Grom, Kona stuff 2-4 and some others. I think for 2 year olds your better of going to your lbs and seeing what kiddies bikes they have.

Dicky

Punter God
Trading Post, Vinnies, cash converters, car boot sales, school fetes, garage sales...

You can do a lot with the time you've got up your sleeve - a spare saturday and a can of gloss red will go a long way.

If his balance is not too good, there's the FirstBike type option - a simple two wheeled bike type toy, only with no pedals, so he has to use his feet.
Only catch is they're about $300, don't use any standard bike parts, and he'll probably grow out of it in 12 months.
Solution - get hold of a 12" kids bike, remove the chain / cranks etc and plug up the bottom bracket with something.
Once his balance is sorted, dust off the drivetrain and teach him to wheelie.

Buying a new kids bike is a bit like driving past the pound to get to the pet store...

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Depends what you define as too much but this is something to consider...

Ebay seller "dragonsportsco" sells JD Bug bikes, they are one's without pedals. Absolutely great for a 2yr old.

My Son acutally rode his from the age of 3, we only got it because he wouldn't ride a regular bike. And in the end we took it off him probably around age 4. Our daughter got one for her 2nd birthday, she is 3 now & still loves riding it. We got her a 12" pedal bike recently, but she can't really coordinate both pedalling & steering yet, she can however roll down the jumps on her JD Bug with feet in the air & pretty much go anywhere.

So all I can say is I highly recommend it - they are build of alloy or aluminium so a lot lighter than your normal bike for a 2yr old to handle.

Hope this helps - check out this link (she sells blue ones & pink ones, ones with tanks as well). They're about the same cost as a regular 12" kids bike but you should get a great amount of use out of it anyway. Only thing I suggest is getting some PVC tires if you have heaps of prickles in your area, not as comfy for the kids but saves repairing punctures all the time

Ebay dragonsportsco JD BUG BIKE

bowzaa

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Trading Post, Vinnies, cash converters, car boot sales, school fetes, garage sales...

You can do a lot with the time you've got up your sleeve - a spare saturday and a can of gloss red will go a long way.

If his balance is not too good, there's the FirstBike type option - a simple two wheeled bike type toy, only with no pedals, so he has to use his feet.
Only catch is they're about $300, don't use any standard bike parts, and he'll probably grow out of it in 12 months.
Solution - get hold of a 12" kids bike, remove the chain / cranks etc and plug up the bottom bracket with something.
Once his balance is sorted, dust off the drivetrain and teach him to wheelie.

Buying a new kids bike is a bit like driving past the pound to get to the pet store...

Good post dicky, also another option is the Netti "my bike". They are a wooden framed version of the first bike, but only retail for $120. However, the downside is that they dont have a brake.

Zyphryss

Breaker of the unbreakable
www.firstbike.com

The FirstBIKE is the perfect training bike for developing your child's sense of balance and motor skills. This expedient cycle is the ideal companion for walks and discovery journeys, because already young children can keep up with their parents walking speed without trouble.

Wonder Boy

Banned
G'day m8.
I suggest a Norco B-Line it would last up until they are about 6 or 7 and is a cool little dh rig.
Also consider Giant kids bikes. they are a nice price and would be great for your little one.
Just ask your local bike dealer and they could help you out.
Cheers.:D

b_star

Likes Bikes
Hey Guys,
Sorry I totally forgot to reply. We brought a JD Bug Bike. It arrived to today, I'm looking forward to getting home and building it up.
Thanks for all your replies.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Guys,
Sorry I totally forgot to reply. We brought a JD Bug Bike. It arrived to today, I'm looking forward to getting home and building it up.
Thanks for all your replies.
Great, hope your little one likes it as much as my two did (well the Daughter still rides hers).

Oh and when he/she gets bigger you can actually fit a normal seat post & saddle off a standard 12" kids bike - if required for more comfort on the long rides (you know long for the kids like 3k's to the shop & then back).

ovadahill

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Never put training wheels on a kids bike - they are a crutch that inhibits balance. My second kid had training wheels for over a year and hated it whenever I took them off. His older sister was a late starter but learnt to balance in 2 weeks on a crankless bmx. You can even teach a grandmother to ride a bike without training wheels.

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
haha. When I got my first bike (pedals, trainer wheels), I learnt to ride it for about 20 mins on the back verandah, then I just got caught up with the idea of going faster and faster.

Problem was, the verandah was a 4x4m square one, with rails/walls on all sides.

So there I am faster , faster faster, thinking, shit, If i don´t start leaning this thing in soon, I´m not going to be able to turn in time.

So coming up the next wall

And leaaa-shit, not leaning? Trainer wheels-shit bang.

And there I am, plastered to the wall, crying and dad´s just said.

`Hmm, I don´t think he likes the trainer wheels´
I think I was about 4. Funny shit.